"Top Gun: Maverick" *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Oct 14, 2010.

1. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

the beach volleyball...excuse me...football scene was pretty blatant. Also....did Rooster REALLY have to play the exact same song at the piano? Its enough that Miles Teller looks the spitting image of Anthony Edwards and he's pretty much already playing Goose anyway. That moment just hits you over the head with the nostalgia. They could have had him at least play a different song and it still could have evoked the same emotion in Maverick and the audience.

SizzleVonSizzleton and twicks like this.
  2. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

And all his fellow pilots dance around to this, what, 60-year-old song? Awful scene.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  3. David Campbell

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "awful "...but a different choice in song would have improved it a lot. It took that scene from homage to outright an reenactment.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah I think it would have been more realistic and up to date to have the soundtrack to that scene be WAP.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. David Campbell

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Point taken...but I still would have been a little more subtle in terms of song choice. Maybe even another Jerry Lee Lewis Song or something.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's okay. Not great, not bad. Sounds like it could have been on the soundtrack for any number of 80's action films, which was probably the point. But it doesn't stand out at all and will quicly be forgotten.

I almost didn't even want to continue after the opening seconds with that horrible vocal effect. What is that for? It doesn't seem to fit the rest of the song at all.

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

8. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Just saw it and was fully entertained. I feel like some people look to deep into the movie

I was entertained the entire time and was happy. Few people were clapping at certain points

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Anyone else notice that the big action sequence (the attack of a possible nuclear facility) is almost note to note similar to the final action scene in Star Wars when the fighters (X-Wings) go through a narrow trench avoiding enemy fire and shoot a precision bomb through a tight space?

Wolfschmidt and twicks like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Or to Rap, as in the Santa hat dancing scene in Jarhead:

11. Chris DeVoe

As I was going from our first film of the evening Montana Story (exactly the sort of mature serious dramatic story that all the people who haven't been to the theater in 2 and 1/2 years ridiculously assert that "they don't make anymore") to our second film of the evening, a revival of Smokey and the Bandit (as much stupid fun as it ever was) I knew that the vast masses were back in the theater, not just by the cars in the lot and bodies in the lobby but by two other telltale signs:
    1. Used chewing tobacco packets in the urinals
    2. Urine on the toilet seats
    Welcome back America! Please take your drink cups and popcorn buckets and throw them in the receptacle on your way out.

Stormrider77, Steve Litos and JohnG like this.
  12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Haha, yep. I think they even call it an exhaust port.

JohnG and lbangs like this.
  13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

‘yeah it took awhile (I went back to the theaters as soon as the reopened) but with these big box office numbers, movies are back baby! :righton:

Chris DeVoe and Boom Operator like this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm a huge fan of the original (and acknowledge it for its flaws and its dumb fun) and I thought "Maverick" was 100% perfect.

For something delayed because of Covid, it's the exact "post-Covid" movie we need to get people back into theaters. Good for all ages >10, lots of action (but not ridiculous CGI like Michael Bay), good characters and better humor than the original.

Is it ridiculous, predictable nostalgia? Sure, but rarely in a way that insults the audience. I'm going to give most of the credit to Tom Cruise, because it feels like he's the one that pushed for the script to be as good/tight as it is, as well as the pace and action.

Mike Rivera, Bowie Fett and brownie61 like this.
  15. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Stars Wars itself borrowed, even copying certain shots and images, from movies like The Bridges at Toko-Ri, 633 Squadron and The Dam Busters, which are about war pilots flying impossible missions into enemy territory to bomb that one critical bridge, dam or factory.

I am not sure anyone can a do a bombing sequence like that without ever recalling a bit of Star Wars or the past war movies that influenced it. But the execution of the mission in this movie was superb, with fantastic arial effects and visuals. Even if you can predict the ultimate outcome, the movie had you fist pumping and cheering for Maverick like a good popcorn movie.

My favorite part of this movie was seeing then manage to get in a scene of Tom Cruise running! :laugh:

bru87tr and Boom Operator like this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

17. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Did you like the first one? You'll probably like this one.

Did you dislike the original film? This one likely will not convert you.

I know there will be exceptions, probably on this thread, but talking to my friends and co-workers I haven't ran into one yet.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Mike Rivera and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

19. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Before it opened this was a movie I was sure I'd be skipping. Now it's a movie I know I'll be watching!

Boom Operator likes this.
  20. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

CinemaScore is based on polling audience members on opening night of a movie, and it's not a large sample of attendees. CinemaScore is not a movie rating for the general population. But it does speak to whether the type of fan who wanted to see the movie on opening day was happy or disappointed with what they got, versus what they expected.

Top Gun: Maverick getting an A+ means that the type of fan who loved Top Gun enough to go see Maverick on opening night was very happy with what they saw.

(CinemaScore is more useful for movie studios to predict box office results in later weeks after opening weekend, and the score has correlated well with how much or little box office sales turn out in later weeks. Some well-regarded films from directors like Scorsese or Aronofky have gotten very low CinemaScores, because those films were wildly different from those directors' past films. As a movie fan, I think CinemaScore is useful for getting a sense of how much I may like a franchise movie, compared to past movies in the franchise, like sequels or MCU movies.)

Although many of his movies do very well financially, I don't think any Tom Cruise movie has broken $80mm for opening weekend, or broken $1 billion total box office. Top Gun seems like the one movie that could break the box office glass ceiling for Tom Cruise. I don't know how many years that guy has left doing Jackie Chan type stunts in movies. He's turning 60 soon!

Boom Operator likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I watched Top Gun the other night for the first time in years, I would give it a 3/5, nothing more. I'll probably see Maverick later this week, I'm expecting a significant improvement in all areas over TG.

22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

For zeitgeist capturing alone the original is a 5/5.

Also has a better romance, better music and a complete story arc. This one is fun but will be forgotten in six months...

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    Chris DeVoe and Deuce66 like this.
  23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The original does a better job with the pop soundtrack integration. The Lady Gaga track (tracks?) in the new one did nothing for me, and I'm a fan.

Deuce66 and twicks like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Talking with my wife Vickie, we'll see this in a couple of weeks when the next big tent pole film will likely bump it out of the Dolby Cinema/Dolby Atmos auditorium.

Just for health reasons, we want to see it in a theater with a few other people as possible - so the first show of the day on a Tuesday, for instance.

Deuce66 likes this.
  25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99