Top Stupid Things about the 'Happy Days' TV series (1974-1984)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Panther, Mar 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I bet she did!

2. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I think the Fonz change came when he went from a white jacket to the black leather. He was better in small doses. In fact, he was great. Then they had to turn him into a cartoon character. I totally agree with the OP's assessment. I sure did love those first few seasons.

3. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

So Chachi was a douche even back then?

RobRoyF, Grand_Ennui and MikeInFla like this.
  4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

You sure you don't mean The Lone Stripper?

[​IMG]

vinnie likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The actor was, yes.

RobRoyF and MikeInFla like this.
  6. Panther

Panther Forum Resident Thread Starter

Joanie Loves Chachi has gone down in pop-culture shorthand as a total turkey, but my understanding is that the show was actually quite successful in the ratings. It wasn't stopped because it wasn't successful, but rather because the producers decided the final season of Happy Days (1983-84) should have Baio and Moran back in the fold. Anyone know about this?

(However, I will say that the fact that Joanie Loves Chachi was in any way successful really speaks to how poor American network sitcoms were in that early-80s / pre-Cosby Show period.)

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It was #4 for its first, four episode, season, but slipped to the 40s or 60s in season two.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I remember watching it but remember NOTHING about it. I was probably 10 or 11 at the time. Haven't seen it since it's original run and for the life of me I don't remember a thing. Wasn't Ellen Travolta on it? And was Al on it? I don't even remember what city it took place. I can imagine watching it now it would be pretty bad. Sounds like something I should see!

9. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

One episode concerned Elvis being drafted into the Army. (Something about kids gathering at a train station to see Elvis's train coming through. Fonzie advised the guys to show up, as many teen aged girls would need comforting after the fact.) That would set it in 1958.

This was not specific to a particular event, although perhaps to an era. Mr. C starts work on an air raid shelter - in the backyard, I believe. Complications and tensions ensue, as all their friends and neighbors want in should the need arise, and of course there will not be enough room. Lesson: if you have to pick and choose who lives and who doesn't among your friends, then maybe survival isn't worth it.

10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I was around the same age as you when it aired, and I don't remember anything about "Joanie Loves Chachi" either, well, except one of the kids on the bus liked it.

You're right about both Al Molinaro and Ellen Travolta being on it, so you remembered more than you thought. It took place in Chicago.

I had to do a brief search to find that info out: Joanie Loves Chachi - Wikipedia

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The one episode I remember, and which is on YouTube, is when The Beatles were in their town and they got to sing with Paul McCartney, played by Mitch Weissman of Beatlemania fame.

RobRoyF and Vidiot like this.
  12. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

"...a HAPPY DAYS you'll never forget!"
    -- Ernie Anderson

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Richie singing 'I found my thrilllllll' whenever sex came up in the conversation.

14. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Not to get too far OT, but I think what hurt the Carol Burnett show the most was losing Harvey Korman, who left after Season 10. The chemistry between Korman and Tim Conway could not be replicated no matter who else came in.

And then Dick Van Dyke joined. He had guested once or twice, he seemed to work well with the cast, but something happened -- I'm not sure what -- and he quit the show about halfway through the season. It's a little bizarre to me. Apparently he stayed on good terms with Carol and the rest of the cast, but for whatever reasons, it "didn't work out," as they say.

MikeInFla, RobRoyF and Vidiot like this.
  15. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I thought that was one of the funnier bits. Ritchie definitely loved the Fats.

OldSoul likes this.
  16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

For the first hundred times I didn't mind it. Then it got like Mr C doing a cartwheel.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

How many seasons were they in high school for?

18. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I only watched Happy Days once in a while. It was just OK. I remember trying to watch Joanie Loves Chachi but recall practically nothing about it.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I went and checked. They graduated in the middle of season four, which was earlier than I'd remembered.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I watched Happy Days when I was an elementary school student in the mid-70s (as did pretty much everyone in my age group). But by the time of Joanie Loves Chachi I had long since aged out of the parent show, and I've never seen an episode. I just skimmed through the one you posted, and wow, that was awful. The anachronisms are particularly jarring. Not just the hair, but Baio's overalls and the very 80sish music his band is playing. It's really bizarre to watch. And they went to the trouble of hiring Mitch Weissman (a musician rather than an actor) to play the McCartney lookalike, but they don't even have him do any singing? Weird.

vinnie and MikeInFla like this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Mitch Weissman played Paul McCartney in the Broadway show ‘Beatlemania’. He did sing in the J & C episode.

22. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Absolutely hilarious show(Acres)...even today.... my favorite by far

Jazzmonkie, NaturalD and Linus like this.
  23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, I know he was in Beatlemania (it's the thing he's best-known for, by far). What I meant was that he's a musician first, and any acting he's done has been incidental and related solely to his resemblance to McCartney.

My mistake about him not singing in the episode. As I said, I just skimmed it (I didn't have the stomach to sit and watch the whole thing from start to finish). At what point in the show does he sing?

MikeInFla likes this.
  24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Towards the end, he sings ‘I Want To Hold Your Hand’ with Joanie & Chachi joining in.

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Looking at the episode on YouTube, I see they cut out the musical number at the end. It might have been a rights thing with Apple.

MikeInFla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.