Top ten Criterion films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by palisantrancho, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love reading the top ten lists on the Criterion Collection site. I'm sure this has been done before, but I couldn't find it. The Criterion Channel has been the greatest thing during all this craziness. So happy to have all these movies. I like the reasons why people choose the movies they do, so feel free to share why these are your top ten.

1. Walkabout- Nicolas Roeg (1971)- I love all his films, but this is the one I would say is his masterpiece. I have been fortunate to see it on the big screen and it's a movie that never fails to impress me. It was the start of the 70s and this sums up what was so great about that decade. Brilliant cinematography and enough strange vibes to keep you coming back.

2. The Cranes Are Flying- Mikhail Kalatozov (1957)- This along with Letter Never Sent, which was made a couple years after by the same director and actress are two of the most visually impressive films I have ever seen.

3. The Exterminating Angel- Luis Bunuel-(1962)- I have to include a Bunuel film because there was a time when I sought out every movie he ever made. There wasn't a dud in the bunch. This remains one of my favorites. It would be the first film I would recommend to introduce someone to Bunuel.

4. Army Of Shadows- Jean-Pierre Melville (1969)- Another favorite director and in years past I would have chosen Le Cercle Rouge, but this is a film I watched for the first time about 6 months ago and it has stuck with me. You can't go wrong with any of his movies. Special shout out to Le Silence de la Mer and Un Flic, two other movies that have made Melville one of my all time favorites.

5. Throne Of Blood- Akira Kurosawa (1957)- Possibly my favorite director ever after watching around 20 of his movies in the last few years. I love the vibe of these 50s and 60s Japanese films. I have been turned on to so many great Japanese directors and movies and it all started with Kurosawa.

6. The Marriage Of Maria Braun- Rainer Werner Fassbinder (1979)- The BRD Trilogy is all phenomenal, but this is possibly my favorite of all Fassbinder films. It's the one that made me excited to watch everything else he did. Kudos to Criterion for making so many of his films available.

7. City Lights- Charlie Chaplin (1931)- Not many directors or actors give me more joy than Chaplin and City Lights is a highlight in a brilliant career. Although, they are not on Criterion his Mutual and Essanay films are really worth seeking out. If you like City Lights, I'm sure you have seen dozens of Chaplin films.

8. Panique- Julien Duvivier (1946)- I have to include a few new favorites. I watched this in March at the start of this pandemic and watched it again recently. Michel Simon is a brilliant actor and I have watched many of his films since. I love everything about this movie.

9. Ashes and Diamonds- Andrzej Wajda (1958)- There are three of his films on Criterion right now. This is the one to start with. You will soon want to watch the other two great films, but this is the one you will want to watch over and over. The actor Zbigniew Cybulski, was labeled the Polish James Dean and he delivers as being one of the coolest actors in one of the coolest movies of all time.

10. The Third Man- Carol Reed (1949)- Hard to pick that last movie. A top ten isn't near enough for how many great movies there are to choose from. There are no wrong answers only another movie to discover.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2021
  2. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

In no particular order...

Brazil - I've always liked Terry Gilliam's dystopian films the most, and this might be his best in that category. His quirky sense of humor is on full display and his loose subversion of 1984 makes for one of the more interesting dystopian settings I've seen.

Stalker - One of the most meditative films I've ever seen, sci fi or otherwise. I don't think I've ever seen anything else that balances abstract and thoughtful in the same way.

Fantastic Planet - This is such a bizarre and unique film and I love it for that. Its wild blend of psychedelic visuals, "out there" sci fi plot, and heady new age philosophy perfectly evokes its post-countercultural European arthouse place in time. It's like the cinematic equivalent of Krautrock or the Canterbury scene.

Ran - It goes without saying that it's almost impossible to choose a favorite Kurosawa film, but I went with Ran because of its devastating story, gorgeous cinematography, and truly epic scale.

The Seventh Seal - One of the most powerful and haunting explorations of death I've seen in art period. I love the way it uses the extraordinary setting of the Black Death to explore a core element of the human condition in a way that will resonate with anyone.

Spinal Tap - I had no idea this was released by Criterion until I looked over a list of their releases just now. It's one of my favorite comedies of all time, and I don't think I have to explain why seeing as how this is a classic rock dominated music forum.

Mulholland Dr. - I had to pick something by David Lynch and ultimately settled on this. It's a contender for my favorite film of his and is easily one of his most layered and compelling works.

Pans Labyrinth - I've still only seen this once, but I had to include it because I think it's one of the best and most beautiful films I've ever seen.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - This is easily one of my favorite films of the 21st century. Everything good about Wes Anderson comes together perfectly here without coming off as overly cutesy or quirky.

Videodrome - I love practical effects-driven body horror, and this is one of my favorite examples of that. It doesn't have the massive show-stopping set pieces of, say, The Thing, but it incorporates smaller pieces in really creative ways. Not to mention the bizarre and unique plot.

3. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

If I had to pick one Criterion title, it would be the DVD of SPARTACUS. The image quality may have been eclipsed by the Universal 4K HD and BD, but the extras, including some startlingly frank commentary tracks, are essential.

polchik, longdist01 and audiomixer like this.
  4. palisantrancho

Good list. I agree about Ran I went to see it on the big screen and it kick started my obsession with Kurosawa. I forget this was once available on Criterion. Wish it would get another release. I also love Kagemusha which I have in my collection.

polchik and longdist01 like this.
  5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My list would include Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Third Man, Chungking Express, Pans Labyrinth (although I opted for the 4K instead of the Criterion), Night on Earth, the Unbearable Lightness of Being that sadly never got a HD release, ditto the Beastie Boys collection on Criterion DVD, and a couple others.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I like the Lone Wolf And Cub movies!

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  7. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Every one of those are solid.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Criterion has released so many movies throughout the years that it's hard to keep track of them all. Here's 10 of my favorites; I'm probably missing something but there seems to be a common thread of black comedies through most of my picks...

Citizen Kane
    Short Cuts
    True Stories
    The Third Man
    Blade Runner
    Brazil
    The Graduate
    Dr. Strangelove
    Rushmore
    2001 A Space Odyssey

palisantrancho likes this.
  9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Based only what I have in
    my ever growing library.:

A Face In The Crowd
    Anatomy Of A Murder
    The Great Dictator
    The Kid
    Limelight
    Night Of The Hunter
    On The Waterfront
    Quadrophenia
    Red River
    Some Like It Hot

My choices can change
    moment to moment
    because all Criterion
    titles are awesome!

10. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Fun idea (you gotta have a shorter/nickname, p! :D). Gonna do a stream of consciousness quick pick and then go back and read the lists already posted.

1. Grand Illusion - Jean Renoir (1937) - The complete absurdity of men attempting to establish a civil society behind a backdrop of sanctioned murder. Oh, it's also about a group of French soldiers who are moved through a series of WWI German prisoner of war camps.

2. Andrei Rublev - Andrei Tarkovsky (1966) - A contemplative look at the travails of the 15th century Russian religious icon painter, Andrei Rublev, told through long, meandering episodes. Not much happens despite being witness to men repeatedly succumbing to the violence of their own nature.

3. Dekalog - Krzysztof Kieślowski (1988) - Ten films (originally made for television) loosely based on The Ten Commandment of the Holy Bible, Kieślowski explores their contemporary relevance in the lives of ordinary people in unusual situations all living in the same housing tenement.

4. Downhill Racer - Michael Ritchie (1969) - One of the most beautiful emotional horror movies. Oh sure, it's about a a conceited bastard of competitive downhill racer in the European Alps. And everything and everyone in that world is on permanent ice.

5. Do The Right Thing - Spike Lee (1989) - This Bed-Stuy is every African-American ghetto in the summer told through a visual Langston Hughes poem; its glory and its tragedy. Lee's Masterpiece.

6. Seven Samurai - Akira Kurosawa (1954) - I actually like Throne of Blood better as a film but the packaging of Seven Samurai tops it.

7. Chimes at Midnight - Orson Welles (1966) - The most fun Shakespeare on film (imo). Welles was born to play old fat Falstaff (and my favorite Shakespearean, John Gielgud, is the best royal foil he could have cast!). The extras are amusing.

8. Ugetsu - Kenji Mizoguchi (1953) - Probably the closest thing to a perfect film that I've ever seen. The whole thing moves like a favorite lullaby. But a whole world is encompassed within it. I know it sound pretentious but can you imagine being given the assignment of filming the incredible story and doing similar justice? Doubt if I could make it jingle.

9. Mamma Roma - Pier Paolo Pasolini (1962) - Sometimes I put it on just to hear Anna Magnani's carping. Sure, she was "the last of the great shameless emotionalists" but it was the genuine article. There's something about an ageing prostitute capable of laying out two sailors on the street but falling completely helpless in front of a two-bit pimp. Romantic in me, I guess. Magnani was obviously exploited by Pasolini in this one but she almost always made cinema history where/whenever she appeared.

10. Tie - The Killers - Robert Siodmak/Don Siegel (1946/64) The Lower Depths - Jean Renoir/Akira Kurosawa (1936/57) Great double packaging of two literary giants' (Hemingway and Gorky, respectively) film adaptions. Never tire of watching these gems.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  11. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I love these films too. Is there anything in particular about the Criterion Collection packages that influenced these choices?

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If we go all the way back to Criterion's LD days, here are my "off the top of my head" picks - and I probably forgot some.

Not in a specific order:

-This Is Spinal Tap (LD/DVD)
    -Lawrence of Arabia (LD)
    -Ghostbusters (LD)
    -Silence of the Lambs (LD/DVD/BD)
    -Close Encounters of the Third Kind (LD)
    -Se7en (LD)
    -Goldfinger (LD)
    -I Wanna Hold Your Hand (BD)
    -Pulp Fiction (LD)
    -Robocop (LD, DVD)

Many more "honorable mentions", but that's my top 10!

longdist01 and palisantrancho like this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I would kill to be invited to one of those help- yourself-to -our-movies Criterion used to have.

14. palisantrancho

Good question. These are two that I own. I don't really watch the extras very often on any of them. Throne of Blood is on Blu-ray and looks great and Exterminating Angel is on DVD and is also excellent. I'm mostly about the high quality transfers and restorations that Criterion puts out, and I love the booklets that accompany both of these. I also like to collect my favorite directors and these two are at or near the top of my list. I have a long way to go in collecting my favorite Criterion movies.

Now with the Criterion Channel I am busy discovering new films I want to buy! I just love what they do and the packaging and extras are a bonus to the film. Some of their releases have amazing extras, but I rarely buy something for the extras. Do you have favorite releases with great packaging or extras that influenced your purchase? That would be a good topic. Criterion films with the best packaging and supplemental material.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Veltri likes this.
  15. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I would say Bergman's Fanny & Alexander since it comes with the episodes, movie version, and a making of.

Also Brazil DVD that came with three versions and a nice box.

Double Life of Veronique has a good commentary and director interview that is very insightful.

Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Ikiru and Ran have great commentaries and look great. Samurai has a nice booklet. Ran has an especially good commentary.

Bunuel's Viridiana also looks great. Extras I think were slight but had specific scenes discussed.

Paris, Texas looks great too. I don't think I bothered with any extras just from liking the film as is.

Orson Welles' Mr. Arkadin is like a historical collection with three versions, commentary, radio shows and a book.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just bought my 100th Criterion, David Lynch's Blue Velvet

17. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Just watched and enjoyed "World On A Wire" (1973) on DVD. A German mini-series. Strange sci-fi film with an air of paranoia about it, but I liked it very much. I think it was my first Criterion. Very clean and sound was excellent. I think I read where it was the inspiration for The Matrix and others in a similiar genre.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Uncle Miles, woody and palisantrancho like this.
  18. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Ghost World, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Ed Wood, Love Streams, Two - Lane Blacktop

19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

The Third Man is my all time favorite film, so that's my #1 Criterion too.

On The Waterfront
    Red Shoes/Black Narcissus (can't pick, both are amazing)
    Rififi - silly name, great noir/heist flick
    Foreign Correspondent - for Hitchcock I could pick any of them, but I love this one, it's not one of his more famous pictures but an amazing murder scene, the windmills...
    Asphalt Jungle / The Killing - another double feature I usually watch, Sterling Hayden, heists gone wrong.
    Night of the Hunter - Great film, and the alternate version with all the different shots, in order of the movie, is a really great extra.
    Magnificent Ambersons
    In A Lonely Place

For 10th, its too hard to choose. Paths of Glory, Paris Texas, American Friend, Sweet Smell of Success, Philadelphia Story, Eddie Coyle, Ride the Pink Horse, Days of Heaven, Breaking Point, Gilda!

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

So many to choose, but covering all of Criterion's Blu-Ray titles....my quick pick.

1. The Black Stallion - Ballard
    2. Brazil - Gilliam
    3. Dreams - Kurosawa
    4. Dr. Strangelove - Kubrick
    5. Foriegn Correspondent - Hitchcock
    6. The Gold Rush - Chaplin
    7. Night On Earth - Jarmusch
    8. Pan's Labyrinth - del Toro
    9. Roma - Cuarón
    10. The Third Man - Welles

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You know Carol Reed directed "Third Man", right? :shh:

longdist01 likes this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Correct @Oatsdad

Thank you...autotype caught me when edited the Directors...

Oatsdad likes this.
  23. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

1. Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky)

2. Mirror (Tarkovsky)

3. Stalker (Tarkovsky)

4. Alice in the Cities (Wenders)

5. Red Desert (Antonioni)

6. Wings of Desire (Wenders)

7. La Jetee (Marker)

8. Throne of Blood (Kurosawa)

9. Vampyr (Dreyer)

10. the Warriors (Hill).... ok, so this last one is not a Criterion title yet, but it desperately needs to be. The "director's cut" (which is the only currently available dvd/blu-ray) is an atrocity.

24. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

Off of the top of my head, and in no particular order:

1. "This is Spinal Tap"--still have this laserdisc
    2. "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"--probably the most gloriously beautiful Blu-ray I've ever seen.
    3. "Heaven's Gate"
    4. "Nashville"
    5. "Gimme Shelter"
    6. "Blood Simple"
    7. "Polyester" (All the John Waters Criterion Blu-ray titles have especially great bonus material--but only this one has an Odorama card.)
    8. "The Kid Brother" (As with Waters, the four Harold Lloyd titles released by Criterion has outstanding bonus material, but "The Kid Brother" is just an especially underrated silent comedy with technical confidence that is breathtaking.
    9.-10. Hard to say...some older titles I own on DVD have been unfairly gathering dust in recent years--the three-disc "On the Waterfront", "Eating Raoul", "Brazil", "Tanner '88". I need to pull them out again.

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Are we talking movies that are part of the collection or based on their film school in a box tendencies?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.