Torture Thread: The Greatest Releases That Should Have Been....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Torture Thread: The Greates Releases That Should Have Been....

Just for the sake of compounding my deep depression, I'm introducing for discussion the greatest releases that should have been, but never happened. If this thread is too painful, please just ignore it. Here are a few that just kill me:

1) DCC "All Things Must Pass"
    2) Beach Boys-"Smile"
    3) MFSL Big Star SACD
    4) MFSL John Lennon SACD from ORIGINAL MIXES!
    5) The Who-"Lifehouse"
    6) DCC "The Shadows Greatest Hits"

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

How about Bill Wyman's "Black Box" Rolling Stones anthology of unreleased material. Instead we got the uneven Metamorphosis.

3. audio

Just thought of another.....the rest of the ELO catalog remasters that were pulled by Sony, though we don't know how they would have sounded.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The Beatles-Get Back
    The Beatles-Sessions
    ELO-The Night The Lights Went On In Long Beach (only released in Germany)
    Beach Boys-Adult Child
    Beach Boys-Landlocked
    Dennis Wilson-Bamboo
    The Mamas & The Papas-Springboard
    Beck, Bogert & Appice-BBA2

5. audio

Oh god, the pain......why did I start this thread?:confused:

6. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Re: Torture Thread: The Greates Releases That Should Have Been....

Always happy to oblige ;):

1. DCC Leonard Cohen "Songs of Leonard Cohen"
    2. DCC June Christy "Something Cool" (the mono and stereo, of course)
    3. DCC Nick Drake "Five Leaves Left"
    4. DCC Willie Nelson "Shotgun Willie"
    5. DCC Harry Nilsson "A Little Touch of Schmilsson In The Night"
    6. MFSL Roxy Music "For Your Pleasure"
    7. MFSL Hatfield and the North "Rotters Club"
    8. MFSL Captain Beefheart "TroutMaskReplica"
    9. MFSL Rush "Hemispheres"
    10. MFSL The Soft Boys "Underwater Moonlight"
      [/list=1]

But having them all on SACD would make me very happy, too.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

chicago - stone of sisyphis (sp?)

8. audio

Re: Re: Torture Thread: The Greates Releases That Should Have Been....

1. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :shake:

9. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

You must chill

Prixie:
    Don't do this to yourself.
    Plug your guitar in and turn it up really loud and do some windmill power chords.
    Breathe
    Your prescription is in the mail
    Peace
    Dr Norm

10. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Torture Thread: The Greates Releases That Should Have Been....

Why not?

I've always wondered what makes a record warrant the DCC or MFSL treatment. Does it have to have sold a particular number of copies, or be considered important by critics? Or is it simply that it has to be profitable for the record label?

11. audio

Re: You must chill

I should say the same thing to you in your vinyl cleaning thread....in fact, I will. Ultram??

12. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Beatles - UNSPECTORIZED "Let It Be"

13. audio

Re: Re: Re: Re: Torture Thread: The Greates Releases That Should Have Been....

I didn't mean "NOOOOOOOOOOO.." that way. I meant it in terms of I wish they had done it. I would kill for a MFSL "Underwater Moonlight".

14. tomd

tomd Senior Member

My personal favorite album of all time:
    Van Morrison-Moondance (on DVD-A) Moved 5 times on Rhino's upcoming releases board only to be held up indefinately.BUT this has been completed big difference than if Warners never got a chance to start it in the first place.With the costs high as they are right now to produce a DVD-A such as this you can bet money that Warners will be pressuring Van till he allows it's release and they see a return on thier investment-or at least that's the hope I cling to...

15. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

DCC Elvis 24K Hits Volume 2 - noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

:( :( :( :(

1. DCC gold - "The Doors Soft Parade"

2. DCC gold - "The Doors Morrison Hotel"

3. DCC gold - "The Doors Absolutely Live"

4. DCC gold - "ZZ Top Greatest Hits"

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Below are aborted DCCs discussed in previous threads. These were going to be made, but suffered some sort of problem, including the demise of the label. Worse, some of these are my favorite albums!

The Band - THE BAND

Doobie Brothers - BEST OF THE DOOBIES VOLUME TWO

The Doors - THE SOFT PARADE

Eagles - GREATEST HITS VOLUME TWO

Elton John - GREATEST HITS VOLUME TWO

Paul McCartney - WINGS GREATEST

Joni Mitchell - FOR THE ROSES

Elvis Presley - 24 KT HITS VOLUME TWO

And believe it or not, Steve confided that DCC was one snafu away from reissuing the complete Beatles catalog on gold disc! He wouldn't say what the final obstacle was, but . . . oh, the humanity!

18. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

"And belive it or not, Steve confided that DCC was one snafu away from reissuing the complete Beatles catalog on gold disc! He wouldn't say what the final obstacle was, but . . . oh the humanity!"

REALLY? I hadn't heard that! What a waste.

19. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Oh the pain....

20. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Stones - Live album from '72 tour
    Hendrix - (1969/1970 studio album)
    Neil Young - Homegrown, Archives, tons of others?
    Pink Floyd - second album with Syd
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - third studio album (although the now-released unfinished tapes are somewhat lacklustre)
    Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground electric version (before their gear was stolen)
    Beatles - Sgt Pepper with the concept of a show running through the whole album followed through

21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Why do they need Van Morrison's permission? I thought Warners owned the first three albums -- ASTRAL WEEKS, MOONDANCE, and HIS BAND & STREET CHOIR -- outright. I thought I had read that's why those albums didn't follow Van to Universal.

22. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

This project is due sometime during the fall!

23. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Regarding Moondance on DVD-A (Ron Stone's question).It seems strange to me also that they would go ahead and do it if they never had his permission to begin with.I'd love to ask Van himself or have someone ask Van why he won't give his permission on it.But Van these days isn't interested in his back catalog from what the Wavelength fan site in the uk says.In fact even Van's uk website which never got started is no longer on the web-what a waste!

24. Matt

Matt New Member

Bob Dylan's got a long list of albums that could've happened, would've happened, but didn't:
    "Blood on the Tracks" (NY version)
    "Infidels" (with Foot of Pride and Blind Willie McTell instead of Union Sundown...another great addition would be Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart, the genuine bootleg version, which brings us to...)
    "Empire Burlesque" (Official bootleg version of "When The Night Comes Falling...," something closer to that version of "Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart" I mentioned instead of the remake "Tight Connection," and the addition of "New Danville Girl," recorded during these sessions, to replace two or three of the weaker tracks)
    "Oh Mercy" ("Series of Dreams" and "Dignity," and the earlier, alternate version of "Everything Is Broken")
    "Time Out Of Mind" (actually not a huge difference, but I'm not a fan of "Make You Feel My Love," and Jim Dickinson claims "Girl on the Red River Shore" from these sessions was the best track they did, but wasn't included)

Replacements
    "Pleased To Meet Me": still a very, very good album, but I wish the band was stable enough to let Bob Stinson stay on to present a rawer version of the songs.

Beatles
    "Let It Be": Who knows? If Paul had known sooner and intervened, maybe Phil would've thought "Screw this, I don't want to deal with Paul," and left "Long And Winding Road" untouched to Paul's satisfaction. Still will be a bit flawed, but a change like that would've gotten a lot of mileage.

New York Dolls
    Debut: I like Todd Rundgren, but I wish they got someone else to produce their debut. Imagine if it was at WB, then John Cale could've done it, or the Ramones popped up a few years earlier, then maybe Tommy Ramone could've stepped in. Still great, but could've been better if it was rawer like "Live in Paris."

The ORIGINAL Modern Lovers
    I wish Jonathan had put off ideas of changing direction a few years later. Still a great debut, but some say it could've been better, like their live shows. Unreliable, since no good live recordings exist during their heyday, but you never know, and they should've been able to put out another great album or two instead of breaking up.

Stooges
    "Raw Power": finally rectified, but with one flaw: the Iggy Pop mix is maximized beyond belief. ARRRRGH!

Bruce Springsteen
    "Greetings From Asbury Park": He does this stuff so much better live. Some say it was the production, which aimed for a 'New Dylan' sound.

George Harrison
    "Brainwashed": It would've been really cool to hear tracks like "Marwa Blues" without all that trademark Jeff Lynne-polish piled on. No offense to Lynne, but it would've been great to hear George finally make and album with that "Music From Big Pink" sound he's coveted ever since.

"Loaded" with Maureen Tucker, though I still think it's great, one of my all-time favorites. The drumming isn't bad, but I would've like to have had her on that album anyway.

25. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Here's some more salt to the wounds....

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band & Imagine (DCC)

Bob Seger - A Stranger In Town (DCC)

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years. (DCC vinyl)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.