Torture Thread: The Greatest Releases That Should Have Been....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In contemporary country, the Wilkinsons's "Shine" album was supposed to be the followup to "Here and Now" had been anticipated ever since the single and video for "I Wanna Be That Girl" was released but it ended up being released only in Germany. The album had been completed, the artwork has been finalized, etc. but they left Warner Bros. before they were ready to release "Shine."

2. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Bob Dylan's "In Concert" made it to acetate in 63.
    Freewheeln's had enough to be a two disk album.
    "Super Club"
    DVD of "Eat the Document" to go along with "Live 1966".

3. Ian

Ian Active Member

The Rolling Stones - BBC Sessions. I remember hearing about this one on Public radio 4 years ago but something has kept this one from release. Stones? Klein? Either way I'm still waiting (in vain most likely). Also, wasn't there talk of an anthology styled set, with tons of unreleased tracks?

4. stever

stever Senior Member

This is a really interesting thread! Lots of stuff I never knew about. My wish would have been:

The Pretenders - DCC LP and/or CD

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I would love to hear one of these shows. I have seen still photographs of these concerts and I have always wondered what this line-up would have sounded like. Maybe someday...

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Paul McCartney -- Cold Cuts

When was this first discussed -- 30 years ago? This collection of B-sides, songs that didn't fit in with a then-current LP concept, and even a few stray A-sides has been kicked around since at least the mid-1970s. Many bootlegs exist with this title, but the real deal has never happened.

The Beatles -- Sessions

This was going to be, at long last, the Best of the Beatles Outtakes, including unreleased songs and several versions of songs that became popular in other forms. I don't know if the album ever got a catalog number, but in 1985 Capitol did schedule a single -- "Leave My Kitten Alone" backed with an alternate version of "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" -- and even printed up picture sleeves (though no 45s) for it. Some, though perhaps not all, of the mixes that were done for Sessions ended up being used in the Anthology project.
    (I see this was already mentioned, but that's OK.)

7. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

The sad thing is - there are test pressings for many of these canned projects out there and there are some people who just don't know how to/can't stop - they must have been bitten on a night with a full moon :D :agree:

All the best - Andrew

8. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Michael Hoenig: had finished recording a follow-up to Departure From The Northern Wasteland (an excellent piece of 70s electronica, comparable to anything by Tangerine Dream or Jean-Michel Jarre), when Warner unceremoniously dropped him. Aside from one LP in the 80s for Capitol's short-lived Cinema imprint, he left the commercial music industry to work on soundtracks. He says there is "no chance at all" of the album being released now.

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Oh, I've heard Fogerty's Hoodoo, for example. That one had to have made it to the test pressing stage, but there isn't a good sounding copy of it among the collector's circuit. It's not Fogerty's best moment by a long shot, but not as bad as Fogerty thinks it is. At least one song, "Between The Lines" is a lost Fogerty gem.

It'll never come out now...Fogerty says he had the tapes destroyed.

10. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Ummagumma from Pink Floyd on MOFI
    I have a catalog from mobile fidelity that shows this title as upcomming. It would have been great it they could have used more live materiel from the concerts, but mofi didn't typically add any bonus stuff that was more in our friends Steve's department.

The missing DCC titles are truley the sadest

11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The Beatles -- 1964 Hollywood Bowl concert recording

In 1964, Capitol Records planned to release a live Beatles album in time for the holidays. An acetate of the mono version of the album was cut on September 3, 1964 with the following contents, all recorded live at the Hollywood Bowl (with no additional overdubs) on August 23, 1964:

Side 1: Twist and Shout; You Can't Do That; All My Loving; She Loves You; Things We Said Today; Roll Over Beethoven
    Side 2: Can't Buy Me Love; If I Fell; I Want to Hold Your Hand; Boys; A Hard Day's Night; Long Tall Sally

But George Martin and EMI in England were not enthusiastic about the project and, in fact, were appalled by the final product. So it didn't happen.

Two years later, in 1966, Capitol prepared new stereo acetates of this same concert in the hopes of having a new Beatles album out for the holiday season that year (it chose not to release A Collection of Beatles Oldies). Once again, EMI and George Martin in England vetoed it.

Six of the 12 recordings appear on the 1977 The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl. A 40-second excerpt of the 1964 "Twist and Shout," which was not used on the 1977 LP (a 1965 rendition was used instead), appears at the start of Side 4 of The Beatles Story, the project that most likely replaced the Hollywood Bowl live album on the Capitol release schedule.

12. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Emitt Rhodes' comeback album that was supposed to come out in 2000 on Rocktopia Records (they went under and the album went with it)

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I believe this is the next release in the Sony/Columbia's Bob Dylan BOOTLEG series.

14. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

"The Who Sell Out" as a complete concept album about Top 40 AM/Pirate Radio (it seems to fade after track two on Side 2, and I've never really thought that "Silas Stingy", "Sunrise", and "Rael" fit the concept-in fact, it almost feels like Side 1 and Side 2 are from two different albums!)

The "Smile" album, in any permutation as a stand-alone release, and the edit of "Heroes and Villains" that Mark Linett (or was it Andy Paley?) did in 1993 having been done in 1967, and released as the follow-up to "Good Vibrations".

15. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Ahhhhh Ashleyfan - but wouldn't we then be lamenting the "great missing tracks" Sunrise (easily the most poignant, if under appreciated, ballad in the Who's cannon) and Rael - the "rough draft" of Tommy?

I agree that conceptually they don't "fit", however - I still turn off the expanded remaster ater Rael - and listen to the bonus tracks separately. I also haven't played any of the bonus "advert" tracks since the day I split the seal on the CD.

16. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Ron, Sony Music was considering releasing the 1964 Concert, not the "In Concert" recordings from 63, as the next Bootleg series release; but I have heard that we should not hold our breath. Things have changed.

Richard.

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Geez, what now? How many years did it take them to get from the original three-disc box to LIVE 1966? I was hoping we'd see the pace pick up a bit on these things.

18. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

THE BAD NEWS: The multitracks, two-track mixes and cover art for Stages, Eric Andersen's follow up to the brilliant Blue River album are lost in 1973.

THE GOOD NEWS: Everything is found in late 1989 and released by Columbia in 1991 as Stages: The Lost Album.

MORAL: Never give up hope.

19. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I think the album is available via mail order on the web. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is.

20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Human Highway

Crosby Stills Nash & Young reunited in 1973 and retired to Maui for some R&R. It was there that the idea took hold for what was to have been their third studio album, HUMAN HIGHWAY. They even got around to shooting a photo for the LP cover (shown in the CSN box set booklet). I'm not sure if any recording sessions for the album took place in Maui but I believe that the group recorded most of the tracks for the album at Young's ranch, including Homeward Through the Haze, Pardon My Heart, Human Highway, And So It Goes, and Prison Song. However, the usual ego clashes put an end to the proceedings and the album was aborted.

Jim W.

21. mmerone

mmerone Senior Member

The first thing that came to mind besides "Smile" was a real Elvis "Burning Love" 1972 studio album with the 7 March studio recordings, "Don't Think Twice", "It's Still Here", I'm Leaving" and maybe a couple of others. Even "Standing Room Only" would have been nice.

22. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Really? Can you provide a link? His website has no mention of that. I'd be among the first in line if this is true.

23. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The 'lost album' that bugs me the most is the 2nd Pink Floyd LP with Syd. Granted, some of the post Piper tracks done with Syd were earmarked as 45's but if you compile all of the late '67 stuff done with Syd it is much stronger than Saucerful IMO. The below tracks were done with Syd between 7/67 and 1/68.

Set the Controls
    Scream thy Last Scream
    Remember a Day
    Jugband Blues
    Vegetable Man
    Apples and Oranges
    Paintbox
    In the Beechwoods
    Untitled

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.