Toshiba advisory on DualDisc

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

All of these advisories are definitely making me not willing to buy any DualDiscs.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

This is so absurd - but I am not surprised as this seems to be "business as usual" in many industries.

Even in my job, we tend to "build the cart before the horse" so that we have a software product that doesn't match what the customer wants, since we didn't iron out the specifications before proceeding, so we are always in the "fix it quick" mode of operation at the last minute to meet our deadlines.

This seems to be the problem with DualDisc, they build the product without the real means to effectively play the darn thing without issue.

The real problem is the mute stance that companies making the DualDiscs have taken. I haven't heard word one from Warners as to why my two DualDiscs won't play in most of my CD players (after multiple e-mails to them), yet they responded post haste when writing about the Donna DualDisc mastering error! Universal, I assume, is still on track with releasing a bunch of albums on the DualDisc format - no word from them on these issues. Silverline has already released many DualDiscs (I have seen them at Coconuts), yet no word from them on compatibility.

This whole DualDisc thing is very strange indeed.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Fact is, we've had dual layer and dual sided discs for quite a while now. Dualdiscs are not that different to these things that are so common place in the medium.

So Toshiba is saying the discs are not guaranteed to play? Gee, nothing is 100% guaranteed in life either, but when dual sided discs are so common, they're really saying nothing.

However from experience, Toshiba hasn't made me very impressed with their mid-range DVD players. I've had two that quit from normal use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.