Toto appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steve phillips, Jan 3, 2019.

1. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident Thread Starter

Toto is one of the most successful and talented bands of the 70's and 80's. They are still together, playing great concerts and putting out great music. This thread is for fans that want to discuss how much they love the band.

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

kyouki, ARK, Jimmy Agates and 4 others like this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

They've been so consistent over the years. Their most recent studio album, XIV, is one of their best and they remain an outstanding live band.

The MEZ, mikedifr0923, kyouki and 4 others like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The only Toto album I have is Toto iv, when I saw it had a 5.1 I had to get it.
    I certainly like a lot of their songs and if memory serves me well the debut album was very good.
    For all the scorn folks poor on it, Rosanna was a fantastic song, especially in its full form with the cool jam at the end

5. steve phillips

I would suggest you try Hydra. I respect your attitude and your taste in music, and I think you would like it.

kyouki, peymei4ever, jfbar167 and 5 others like this.
  6. mark winstanley

I get the impression I would like all the first four albums to be honest. It is just one of those haven't gotten around to it yet things. I guess I was kind of hoping the first two at least would get the 5.1 treatment

7. steve phillips

I think "Child's Anthem" was a great introduction to the first album, and the band in general. Then into "I'll Supply The Love." Brilliant.

Glenn coates, kyouki, ego1jr and 2 others like this.
  8. mark winstanley

I always really liked I'll Supply The Love, but I actually didn't even know it was Toto until the mid nineties or something like that.
    I think one of the biggest problems the band had (in Australia at least) was they were a bit faceless, and then Toto iv went through the roof and kind of over exposed them to a degree, yet somehow they still remained a little faceless.

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Can't say I'm a fan in general but "Africa" is one of my favourite 80's singles. "Rosanna" is a good one too.

10. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Great band, great musicians- nothing "controversial", no "message", just good rock with great musicianship - I like TOTO

Binni, kyouki, OptimisticGoat and 4 others like this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I like the lack of image though.

There was more than enough mincing buffoonery and arrogant narcissism in rock already so it was refreshing when all the AOR bands came along and let their music do the talking.

12. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I was a massive Toto fan in the late '80s/early '90s, they may even have been my favourite band for a while. Saw them live in London very soon after Jeff Porcaro died - in fact if memory serves, he died in between buying the ticket and seeing them. To be honest it was so loud and distorted, I could barely make out what songs they were playing. Drifted away from them not long after as I started getting into more alternative music, but they were an important part of my life for a time, no question. And there's certainly no doubt that they are all exceptional musicians.

13. steve phillips

I'm sorry to hear that about the sound. When I saw them on the Hydra tour the sound was perfect.

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've seen them three times. Once with Bobby Kimball on the Falling In Between tour and twice relatively recently with Joseph Williams. Sound was pristine each time.

15. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Flawlessly produced and flawlessly performed studio music by highly skilled studio musicians, but lacks soul.

16. steve phillips

I'm a huge Kimball fan as you know, but Williams is very, very good also.

17. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Perhaps this will end up costing me more money than I'd like, but as someone who's never owned anything but the Past To Present comp, I've been recently contemplating the box set with the first 5 albums (heaven knows it's affordable)...but then, where do I go next? That is, if I like what I hear...?

The MEZ likes this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

There were rumours that Bobby's voice was shot during the FIB tour and Steve Lukather, bless him, has been pretty scathing since but he was spot on the night I saw them.

All of Toto's lead singers have had strong, distinctive voices, I reckon.

Out of curiosity, have you got any of Bobby's solo records?

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well the next two with Joseph Williams are excellent. Very different, a little funkier than previously.

Of the rest, I like them all, but Tambu and XIV are particularly strong. Some people have problems with the latter's mastering but it sound fone to my cloth ears. :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Dont sleep on Isolation, Seventh One or Tambu

21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Some of us here like Toto. We are the wretched refuse....;)

22. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

you may wanna wait and see if there is a more affordable CD only version of their recent boxset All In. great sound a couple of minor bonuses (main being a new album of outtakes finally finished though this will likely see separate release).

though despite the name it is not really all in so keep the past to present compilation and you could grab XIV in the meantime I think that is one of their best.

Chazzbo13 and carlwm like this.
  23. MyNameIsNotSteve

MyNameIsNotSteve Well-Known Member

I can't understand all the hatred poured out towards this band in the other thread. The first four albums are my favorites, but there's good material throughout their career, and they put on an exciting live show. I wish I could find 'All In', it's not on their web site any more and I imagine I missed my chance.

The MEZ, carlwm and steve phillips like this.
  24. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

I like Toto but my daugther (20) loves them!
    We are going to see our second Toto show together later this year. I have seen them live a few times over the years, always great shows. And Luke is amazing on guitar.

25. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

Yup. We beat the horse to death in the previous thread.

I will throw my support behind Toto in this thread. They are a band that has maintained their own integrity when it comes to the style of music they make. I respect that most of all in addition to their high level of musicianship. I was a big fan when I was a young kid in the early to mid 80s. I outgrew them and moved on to other artists but their records I will still ocassioanlly play on my spotify playlist when I want to hear how Lukather approached guitar parts and solos in the 80s.

There were much more influential guitar players that rose in the 80s including Stevie Ray Vaughn and Satriani when it came to playing style, and Billy Gibbon's tone morphed into extraordinary in the 80s. Lukather however still had a tone and style that was amazing and worth analyzing and listening to. Of the session guys from that era, I liked Michael Landaus work the most -- mainly because he was a little more Hendrix influenced -- but Lukather was amazing as always in what he did.