Toto remasters incoming.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KentishMan, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

only Toto IV.

JediJoker likes this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Maybe I gotta give that a chance again. Then again, from $173 I'll pray for Russian bootleggers to burn it onto DVD or something...Chinese Army owned pirate factories, where are you when I need you?!? :laugh:

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Looking at Amazon it looks like standalone vinyl versions of these new remasters have been/are getting ready to be released. Has anyone heard whether they plan to do the same with CD?

Only one I see at the moment is a standalone CD of “Old Is New”.

Thanks
    Mark

4. Kopczas

Kopczas No nonsense audiophile

Hello.
    How about CD release of the remasters vs hirez downloads available on hdtrucks ? I wonder if there is any significant difference between 16bit to 24bit? Price is something to consider: 2 downloads would cost nearly the same as 13cds box! :sigh:

5. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Actually you are not the only one. I have exactly the same impression. I have japanese BlueSpec CDs of most albums (which use the 2004/2005 Remaster you mention) and purchased the big box when it was "direct to consumer" (I think it was sometime around 2018). I do recall in several cases I preferred the new versions (I can vow for "Toto", "Turn Back" and "Isolation" for sure). "Hydra" and "Toto IV" were similar from what I remember. I do recall I had an issue with "Mindfield", not because of compression, but because apparently the version in the big box had a different mix. Long story short, I enjoy this set as well.

JLPMacca likes this.
  6. Beyond Salvation

Beyond Salvation Forum Resident

I know I bang on about this but why they never did a stand alone issue of the Toto IV multichannel blu ray is beyond me.

7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I too was hoping for Hi-Rez downloads of these albums as I'm sure we ended up getting the compilation including some of the new songs in that format.

8. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

I know HD Tracks isn't carrying them, but Qobuz is. They have the individual albums available in 24/96 and 24/192. They're the same mastering as the CD, I believe. No clipping, some compression. I picked up the first 7 and have to say that they sound really nice.

mikedifr0923 and Galley like this.
  9. Kopczas

Kopczas No nonsense audiophile

They are available on HDT (192k), I can`t use Qobuz in my country , but file download is also possible from hiresaudio. Downloads are much cheaper there (16,5 euro).

Well, finally I did the same :)

FVDnz and David Bostock like this.
  10. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

So, how are the CD issues of their debut ranked here? Looking at the DR database, it seems there is some variation but most releases are surprisingly dynamic including a Rock Candy(!) issue. Any other differences of note or do all the dynamic re-issues sound identical?

11. Sander

Sander Senior Member

For SQ I prefer the first Japanese CD issue (32DP-180), but the remastered version in the box set sounds pretty good as well and contains extended versions of several tracks making it essential for fans of this album (all IMHO, of course).

Kopczas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.