Toto remasters incoming.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KentishMan, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

:hide:

2. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I get that but he is way off more often than not. That's not just someone going for the note and missing it. I honestly don't think he's even hearing it. If he were this bad live with Toto, they'd have fired him long before they actually did. They certainly wouldn't have invited him to return.

In his defense, he does some legit great singing on these Toto tunes; it's not all belting. The stuff with S.S. Fools isn't either.

Ed

Malina likes this.
  3. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

He's not even singing here. He's just in the video. I don't hate it but it's a strange choice to include him.

Ed

4. walrus

He wasn't that great in '99, at least from the recording in Yokohama that's probably on YouTube. (Livefields is great, but obviously touched up in the studio vocally) But I think bringing him back in '99 was as much a business decision as anything else...they'd gotten on well enough on the few Toto XX promo dates they'd done, sort of gone as far as they could with the Luke-fronted version of the band, and I'm willing to bet both Sony and tour promoters were pushing a reunion (I even remember copies of Mindfields with hype stickers that explicitly label it a 'reunion' album/tour). That's not to say he was bad every night, not at all (and lord knows the songs he sings lead on are insanely difficult), but he was never very consistent. He's miming a lot of the harmony/chorus vocals on Live In Amsterdam (especially Africa), for example.

I saw Kimball with Toto five times between 2005 and 2007, and it was never cringe-worthy in the room (except for that half-step note in the chorus of "Pamela," which he never really hit)...he definitely got by on sheer power and will (and being in a band where much of the audience was there for the musicians as much as the singing), but listening to recordings...:sigh:

Whatever happened with all that, I'm glad they've stayed together with Joe in this late-period renaissance as long as they have. He's sounding great for his age, they're touring the states more than they ever have, and they seem genuinely happy to be onstage together. It's a great time to be a Toto fan. :agree:

5. John 90125

John 90125 Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to the new album, but from the press release it looks like another Greatest Hits package with a few new tracks thrown in. I was under the impression that a new album was getting recorded, any info on the new tracks?

At least 40 Trips Around the Sun is coming to Glasgow, don't know how many times I have seen a tour announced, but the UK leg is only London,

6. walrus

Me too. It seemed like there were more than 3-4 tracks...Not a proper new album, but something akin to Toto XX, with a sort of hodgepodge of new stuff and newly-finished old outtakes. I thought it was going to tie into some kind of box set thing, but I suppose that is still entirely plausible, with maybe just a handful of new tracks being thrown onto the hits collection and something more expansive for the uber-nerds. I dunno. I'm really just excited to hear new tunes, and hopefully get Kingdom of Desire and Tambu on vinyl.

7. John 90125

Looking forward to hearing the new material, so it looks like I'll buy it. Hopefully some tracks from XIV will end up on it. With decent mastering, I'm thinking Burn and Great Expectations, anything else would be a bonus. I know it's the 40th anniversary edition, so some diffrent tracks or versions would be nine.

With the remastering of the 11 (Sony) albums a Greatest Hits package (with a few new tracks) is starting to look like a money grab, if its the same selection of tracks as XX or the other compilations that have been released

8. walrus

I think this is just going to cover the Sony years, so it'll end at Mindfields.

9. John 90125

Think you are right, but you can always hope.

Anyhow looks like 2018 is going to be expensive with 11, now 12 albums to buy, if they are available as 24 bit files (I have gone digital), the 40th anniversary spending starts on Tuesday when Glasgow tickets go on sale, Looking at £120 ($153) plus fees for tickets as my wife is also a big fan. Ticket price are a pain when you buy for two.

10. walrus

They're worth it live. They just played Nashville last summer (for the first time since 1982), but I'm hoping they'll be back in 2018. It's always worth it to watch Luke play. There's no one else on earth who does what he does on guitar.

I have really clean LP's of the first seven albums, and I'm wondering if KoD and Tambu were recorded any higher than 16/44, so you might not need those. Does anyone have any info on which Toto albums were recorded digitally?

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  11. John 90125

I had to wait 37 years to see Toto, I bought the first album on release, but they never played Scotland untill 2015, they are really good live. I know they played London a few times in the 1990's, but when you have children heading off for a few days is not an option when you have to keep leave for school holidays etc. So for a long time it was local concerts only.

Before going digital, I needle dropped my vinyl (took a few months to do), I have the first seven LPs as 24-96 FLACs with some surface noise, so I'm looking forward to the remasters of these. If the KoD and Tambu remasters sound better than the CDs, I will be getting these in 16 bit if that's all I can get.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  12. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Saw them last summer at a small venue (about 2500 seats). Lukather is amazing. Steve Porcaro, David Paich and Leland Sklar playing bass. Amazing night.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  13. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

From Toto's Facebook page this morning:

TOTO “40 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN”
    TO BE RELEASED ON FEBRUARY 9TH

Remastered Greatest Hits Collection Featuring Three Brand New Tracks To Be Released On Legacy Recordings

40 Trips Around The Sun World Tour Begins In Europe On February 11, 2018

Los Angeles, CA --- TOTO is pleased to announce a February 9th worldwide release date on Legacy Recordings (a division of Sony Music) for their brand new Greatest Hits package titled 40 Trips Around The Sun. The 17 track album features three previously unreleased recordings: “Spanish Sea” “Alone” and “Struck By Lightning” alongside newly remastered classic tracks worked on by Elliot Scheiner & Gavin Lurssen and his team. The core Toto members, Steve Lukather, David Paich, Steve Porcaro, Joseph Williams re-entered the studio earlier this year to work on this release.

While going through the Sony vaults, the band uncovered several unfinished tracks that featured both Jeff and Mike Porcaro, one of which is now “Spanish Sea.” “This track is originally from the Isolation sessions,” Steve Lukather commented. “It’s one that didn't make it and we had to re-write it including creating a new chorus. Thanks to modern tech we were able to play once again with not only our 20 something selves but with our dear brothers Jeff and Mike Porcaro reminding us just how deep their groove was. Bittersweet... Many stories, laughs and a few tears on this one. It’s classic Toto with an excellent solo and I kept my old 1985 melody solo Dave wanted me to do... Old meets new but since legendary pal Al Schmitt cut the tracks and Bob Clearmountain mixed...it sounds like it was done 2 weeks ago not 30 + years ago!”

All fans who pre-order the album beginning today will receive “Alone” as an instant grat track. “Alone is a brand new song,” Lukather remarked. “This one was written with just the four of us really writing together and no one else in the room with us. We wanted to start with an ‘up’ song in terms of groove for the album. The lyric is darker but we are older guys now ands have lived life. The good, bad and ugly... we have lived it all and in the end we are all alone anyway. Proud of this piece and it just sort of organically happened.” Fans can pre-order the album here: https://lnk.to/toto_GH

Listen to "Alone" here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlFU8fPGezk

The third new track on 40 Trips Around The Sun: “Struck By Lightning” began with David Paich. “I had the opening riff in my head for months,” Paich said. “Joe and the guys helped flesh this one out. I love the heavy arrangement and Luke’s solo on it is an all time great!”

Beginning on February 11th in Helsinki, the band will begin the first leg of their worldwide 40 Trips Around The Sun tour in support of their 40th anniversary. 36 shows in Europe have been announced to date. The tour will be the band’s most extensive run in years and is expected to hit the U.S. later in 2018. More shows will be announced shortly.

TOTO – 40 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN TRACK LISTING
    Alone
    Spanish Sea
    I'll Supply The Love
    I'll Be Over You
    Stranger In Town
    Struck By Lightning
    Pamela
    Afraid Of Love
    I Won't Hold You Back
    Jake To The Bone
    Stop Loving You
    Lea
    Hold The Line
    George Porgy
    Rosanna
    Africa

[​IMG]
    Toto - Alone (Audio)
    Greatest Hits - 40 Trips Around the Sun Buy/Listen: https://lnk.to/toto_GH!a About the album: TOTO’s brand new…
    youtube.com

MMM, julesd68, OptimisticGoat and 3 others like this.
  14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Looking forward to the new Isolation track. Always loved that album.

Mark

Carserguev and Galley like this.
  15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Thought it would at least be a 2 disc hits package but happy for the new songs. Hope the mastering is great.

Carlox and Galley like this.
  16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

17. Mark Wilson

Since I'll be buying it just for the new songs for the most part, 1 disc is perfect. And I like that it has a not-so-obvious track list.

Mark

18. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I agree but they have so many great songs. Looking forward to the box set at some point.

The new song does sound good.

19. cber1517

cber1517 Forum Resident

Toto Preview New Music From '40 Trips Around the Sun' Set

Lukather says that the first three albums in particular, are a “revelation.” “It’s like somebody took a blanket off of the speakers! The one rule was, no compression and let’s be really careful,” he explains. “We’re not in the volume war. You want it louder? Turn it the f--- up! Because you’re going to get the dynamic range. Otherwise, it’s just going to be like what everybody else does, add high end, more compression and make it loud. That’s not remastered. They have technology now where you can specifically find frequencies and actually remix the song, kind of, with EQ. We started with the first album, the first track, and we went in chronological order of all of our music. We had never done that in 40 years. I heard things that I haven’t heard since we cut them.”

SBurke, Rockstar2112, Ken.e. and 7 others like this.
  20. Anarseo

Anarseo Forum Resident

that sounds friggin' good

SBurke likes this.
  21. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Certainly sounds promising. Let's hope it's lives up to this

SBurke likes this.
  22. Mark Wilson

Oh no doubt, I just prefer myself to hear them all in their original album context rather than in a compilation.

Mark

drum_cas likes this.
  23. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I've booked for the Royal Albert Hall in London - really looking forward to it.

Just bought a near mint original of Hydra on vinyl and was very pleasantly surprised by the sound quality. Great album too.

mikedifr0923 and c-eling like this.
  24. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

The original Toto albums on vinyl all sound really good. Actually, their original CDs sound quite good too.

But the last album was a compressed nightmare : (

FVDnz, bruce2, PTgraphics and 2 others like this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Agreed, For Hydra I have a Holland manufacture using the TML's stampers. Compact disc the old 1988 US DADC sounds great as well :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.