Tower Records Christmas Day Sale

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveman, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveman

daveman Forum All Star Thread Starter

True, prices are somewhat high, but at Tower I tend to levitate towards those with a lower list--usually $12.99 or so--and I make out pretty well. The high-list price ones I either find used or try to get from BMG. I understand the high prices as it's a large retail store only devoted to music and DVDs, and that's unique nowadays.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm glad to see that Cody isn't forced to work on Christmas, thereby being oppressed. ;)

3. GregY

GregY New Member

My mom got rear-ended on the way to our house for Xmas dinner. I'm sure glad musicfan37 didn't insist the police officer and tow truck driver take the day off; otherwise, we would have had a big problem.

Picked up the Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown Xmas SACD for $11 online today. Thanks -- I've been wanting to grab it for some time.

4. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Understand the "high prices" - sorry I don't.
    The Fantasy SACDs were mostly $21.99!! (some were $19.99) Mobile Fidelity $30.99!! The Richard Thompson/Linda Thompson SACD was $20.99. Most of these were over the list prices! You would think that with their flirtation with bankruptcy they would come up with a reasonable pricing scheme. (i.e. lower prices = higher volume). Even the high priced Music Direct has the MoFi's at $24.99.
    Yes -you can find the mid-level $12.99 list CD's occasionally at $7.99 (they are usually on sale there for $9.99), but as you do - I usually wait for these to get to the music clubs - or buy them at places where they run $7.99 sales more frequently.

BTW - I had a conversation with the cashier at Tower. He was Jewish and enjoyed spending Christmas day at work because they were empty most of the day and he got to do lots of things his manager usually did because they were understaffed.

5. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I'm talking retail businesses, not emergency situations. :)

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Look around you. I'm sure everyone here would classify the need for music on Christmas as a bonafide emergency. ;)

7. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I know you intentions are well placed, but as one of the many here who do not celebrate Christmas, I am uncomfortable with your comments on this thread. Sorry.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Where's Cody?

9. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Shopped online yesterday and picked up the Siouxsie and the Banshees B-sides box for $41 and the Dinah Washington SACd for $7.49. Decent prices and free shipping. Not bad IMO

10. Kym, when you get back online, I hope you will tell me what you thought of that Stranglers disc, I thought it was really solid. I ended up buying mine 6 mos. or so back from Amazon.co.uk because nobody here in the Atl. carried it, and special ordering it would run me $30+, money up-front. With postage the UK purchase cost me about $14.70.
    There have been a couple weak Stranglers lp's since Cornwell left (namely 'Coup De Grace' and 'About Time'), so I did not want to spend all that dough and then it turn out to be another weak one. Except for the atrocious mastering, I was pleasantly surprised by the record.

11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Just don't try to cancel an online order w/tower.com - in my experience, it's almost impossible!

12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I dont celebrate Christmas as well as many of my friends. We dont care to work on Christmas day, its just like any other day for us.

13. househippie

househippie Forum Resident

Yeah, what is it with that place?!? When I was in grad school and lived in the SF Bay Area, I developed a Pavlov's response to even the slightest earth tremors (i.e. flight syndrome). Now, every time I'm in that store it takes at least a few shakes to acclimate myself and adjust the adrenaline flow. Whole place is rocking is no joke! :laugh:

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Still shakes, huh? Haven't been there in years, totally forgot about that. Nothing is more relaxing than feeling the floor vibrate under you while you're browsing for music!
    :laugh:

15. cwon

cwon Active Member

The ad for the Tower Christmas day sale in Honolulu appeared in the newspapers on Sunday, the 26th.

16. daveman

daveman Forum All Star Thread Starter

:laugh:

Funny, I've only noticed it one time. I'm in there a lot (was there today actually) and noticed nothing. Guess I'm just too distracted by the aisles and aisles of CDs. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.