Toy Story 2 Home Video Release - Retro-Censoring Being Done

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BILLONEEG, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Had no idea as I haven't seen it. Guess it's an easy one to think up.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  2. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I'm under 60 (infact under 25) and own the original LP, and the previous 10" too. Bloody funny stuff!

[​IMG]

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It’s their movie.

drivingfrog and intv7 like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Their *censored* movie. ;)

showtaper likes this.
  5. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Toy story 2 purists..... haha.

I don't mind them taking it out only because it's a kids movie. If they do this crazy crap with an adult movie, then i'm gonna turn myself off of media for a while.

bmasters9 likes this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Then don’t watch it. There are plenty of other options.

lightbulb and drivingfrog like this.
  7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Where is this from? The Miriam Webster definition is different. I did a search and I couldn't find a match for this.

I think this may be a case where the definition of the word evolved over time.

8. Strat-Mangler

Did a search on Google. It showed exactly this. :shrug:

9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I could almost understand for TV viewings or it being reshown in Cinema's, but Home Video releases should never be cut IMO. Even if it's a kids movie, it should be left how it was, maybe have an option on the disc to skip scenes.

bmasters9 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  10. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I'm sure I've made it appear that we can take all the credit for our daughter being a Feminist and whilst we prepared her for school, the school then kicked in.

I don't know anything about the education in other countries but here, from the age of 6, my daughter started to learned about all religions, sexuality, equality and discrimination.

Once that happens you'll find yourself being challenged, our daughter had a brief period when she was outraged when we referred to 'black' people.

If you let them watch these 'harmless' films it should come back to haunt you, as they'll be applaud about what you let them watch.

11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

There used to be disclaimers on dvds of older movies and cartoons sets that explained of situations, humor and behaviors that were acceptable then that didn’t reflect current values, but were kept in for historical reasons.

In this day of streaming video, disclaimers aren’t as evident, if used at all.

It’s best to keep the film content as is to preserve the artistic intentions and to keep it in its historical context.

To remove it is a dangerous precedent because we learn from past mistakes. By removing it we learn nothing.

EdgardV likes this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well,,,,.....he WAS the 'bad guy'.......

showtaper likes this.
  13. Pastafarian

These issues have been addressed before

And I refer to my above post about why we don't need that content to do the job.

14. Yikes. This is one heck of an inadvertent indictment of the UK public school system.

15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

When my kids were 6 they were being taught to read, write, and be nice to each other. And they’ve all seen Dumbo multiple times. As far as I can tell, they’re not terribly maladjusted. :shrug:

supermd, BeatleJWOL, EdgardV and 4 others like this.
  16. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

And my copy is literally "hanging".
    [​IMG]

Eh, pics are no longer able to be hosted here and doesn't appear, but here:

Imgur

[​IMG]
    This entire thread, to me, is the reason I COLLECT, and don't depend on streaming.

I don't need anyone editing for my protection.

That Huck Finn argument is so old and worn and still, lesson not learned (usually argued against by people who see words, but have never ready or understood the book).

And if you read the 100-year self-ban of publication of his own Autobiography, finally published in 2010 (he had wild ideas like "women's rights" and the possibility that women may be better than "men"), Twain admits in Vol 1. that "N-r" Jim is the only GOOD hearted person in the whole story. Because he believed that (and it was semi-based on a real person).

The words are there to illustrate the times - it was a contemporary work once. Sanitizing the past does nothing for anybody - even if on the wrong side of an argument, which of course Twain was not - and in fact was wellll ahead of his time.

So he illustrated his points using contemporary language and attitudes, which Huck (in self-doubt) disagrees with the good "Values" he's SUPPOSED to have to be "good person" - he struggles BECAUSE in his heart he disagrees with oppression.

Knee-jerk reactions about what's PC today is absurd and I have no interest in any of it. I prefer History the way it happened, when I can get it (because I believe editing has happened throughout the millennia, and what we think happened, didn't the way we were taught most of the time).

I DO understand why some Bugs Bunny cartoons may now be inappropriate for kids growing up in today's world - so put them in the adult section. But don't delete, do NOT delete...

Jeff

17. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I agree. One of my favorite Christmas movies is "Remember the Night" with Barbara Stanwick and a young Fred MacMurray. MacMurray's character has an African American valet that acts like an idiot and is treated pretty badly by his boss. At one point MacMurray says to Stanwick, 'He's awfully dumb, but he makes a good sandwich.'

I would be more concerned with kids watching that than some adult joke that is probably going over their head. Having said that, I would hate for the movie to be cut up to make it more PC (I guess the fact that I am able to watch an unedited DVD version is a positive). As a parent, I would not show that to a child until they are old enough to understand and then comment how wrong that portrayal is. Schools teach about how poorly African Americans were treated in this country for hundreds of years, so it should not be a big deal if they are old enough.

18. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Why does everyone feel entitled to the original version of anything? If the rights holder wants to revise it, that is up to the rights holder.

mmars982 likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

How do we learn from past mistakes if the tropes are continuously perpetrated? Only by making the content/tropes scarce (ie, rarely seen, but archived for historical study) can we learn from past mistakes.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I’m more shocked by people calling it a kid’s movie.

21. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

This is like when people get all bent out of shape when a classic album is remixed for re-release. Just because the new version is out and about doesn't mean the original is going to disappear from existence. You're not affected by this decision of theirs, so I don't get the complaints.

I'm not personally offended by the scene, but if you think there's "nothing wrong" with leaving that kind of joke in for future generations of children, then I really have to question your judgment. I suppose I feel differently about things that are specific to the plot or to character development, etc., being changed (Greedo/Han), but removing a quick segment from the closing credits is nothing to get worked up over.

So...is this a minor example of a taboo joke? Sure. Is it something that definitely needed to go? I dunno...probably not, but it's totally understandable. Again, given the issues Pixar has had to deal with regarding John Lasseter, this is not surprising. It'd be hypocritical of them to leave it there.

And the "there's always someone who's gonna be offended by something" argument is old, tired and flimsy -- and trivializes things that are actually problematic. I get really angry when I see people cite the term "political correctness" as being a bad thing.

22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

It's a family movie. It appeals to all ages. I think we all know that.

But in case you didn't notice, there's a new line of Toy Story 4 toys included in every Happy Meal at the moment, so...

23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I agree, a Family movie and still much of the story is aimed toward adults. It’s not kids getting teary eyed at the ending of the last two films.

And I’d bet many super hero movies made it onto Happy Meal boxes too.

24. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

3 posts later...

Dan C likes this.
  25. Pastafarian

I'm quite offended that you imagine we'd send our daughter to such a privileged establishment, I say eat the rich.

NaturalD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.