Toy Story 4 - June 21/2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

There is article on the Atlantic about how golden age of Pixar is gone..
    Here the didn't like seqel to classic disney animation
    yet look what there doing with there own movies..
    I pass I toy story 4 as it's just about the merchandise clogging the shelves
    at stores.

2. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I read somewhere that the sequals "piled up" instead of appearing every second year, so that for the next few years it is only going to be originals. Perhaps they now have saved up a bit and can take some chances again? Looking forward to TS4 anyway.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

A couple of originals are slated for 2020.

Disney announced this morning that Pixar will release its second original film of next year on June 19, 2020. Titled SOUL, the film is directed by Pete Docter (of UP and INSIDE OUT fame). The studio will also release ONWARD on March 6. #SoulMovie #Pixar #Disney #BoxOffice

Chris DeVoe and LarsO like this.
  4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I guess a lot of people have that attitude because the theater was far from full last night when my kiddo and I saw TS4. I thought it would be packed considering this is opening weekend for a long awaited sequel of the most beloved Pixar franchise on the first day of summer.

From the very first Toy Story, it was evident that the toys were voicing the concerns of parents, i.e., about the children growing up and not needing them anymore or becoming estranged from the child. I always thought it was rather brilliant how Pixar built that into the stories.

Right from the start in TS4, the theme of inner voice played a big part. It's timely, as my kiddo is 7 and I often am trying to foster some recognition of a voice inside that helps guide them about what's appropriate. This film is about finding the inner voice and living by one's conscience.

5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The good news: You won't be emotionally wrenched by this one. (2 and 3 were hard.)

The story is berserk/random in the best way possible.

No short in front of it at my showing.,

AMC theater was sold out but still had 30% seats empty - I think their Premiere Membership people reserve seats and then don.t show up. And people showed up as the trailers started to roll.

vince likes this.
  6. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

We saw it today and enjoyed it, though my kids (2 teens and a pre-teen) and I agreed it didn’t measure up to previous installments. The storyline was a bit frenzied and Bo Peep’s personality threw me off at first.

I too was surprised that the theater was only half-full even though it included attendees from the other theater showing TS 4 (it was shut down due to technical problems). However maybe the empty seats were due to it being so early in the day.

3.5 stars

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Having never watched any of the Toy Story films, I went to a 3D showing of this one today and enjoyed it very much. Lots of funny scenes and a rather mature message behind some interesting dialogue: the need to accept change, let go of what holds you back and move on in order to find yourself, all in the context of what it means to be a "lost" toy.

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

:yikes:

9. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I think I've seen parts of one of them... an adult giving his old toys away to a child, I believe.

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Not really. My wife and I have found that "sold out" is around 80% capacity.

11. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I mean when I went online to try to see how many seats were available they were ALL taken. Every one of them.

Then when we saw the film at least 10-15 seats were open - and not the ones in the very front, but good seats, and pairs of them.

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

You may be right then. I know you can make an A*List reservation and then cancel or change it right up until the minute of the scheduled showing. People may be abusing that.

13. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Thought it was fun, humorous, well paced, and as thoughtful and emotional as the previous films. Thumbs up here.

Loved the new characters as well. Some of them almost stole the show.

14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Maybe you weren't emotionally wrenched, but...I had a different experience!

Gregory Earl, Binni and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. vince

So....., you're saying, There WILL be tears...?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

There should be some kind of warning before the final scene of Toy Story 3. Holy crap. When I first saw it I had one young child, and the theatre erupted into tears and sniffles from the adults. Now that I have two kids and they're growing older, I can't even go near the end of Toy Story 3 without becoming a mess. I literally have to walk out of the room.

(Don't get me started on the end of Coco)

17. vince

Are you kidding?
    "Finding Dory" was on TV last night.... and just the SIGHT of 'little Dory' gets my eyes watering!
    And, when she says, "I'm sorry..."....just TYPING it gets me going!

Gregory Earl and guppy270 like this.
  18. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

If you cried at Toy Story 2 and 3, then I'd imagine you'll cry at Toy Story 4. I lost it last night, I was sobbing like a baby.

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Toy Story 3 really was the strongest film and an emotional rollercoaster, but yes, I was dabbing my eyes during a couple scenes of TS4. Pixar knows how to tug the heart strings.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the end of TS4 and what exactly it means. Symbolically, Woody has always been the voice of a responsible parent but he was never embraced by his new kid the way he was embraced by Andy.

guppy270, Matthew Tate and intv7 like this.
  20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I guess I don't believe in toy nostalgia anymore..
    As some do.

21. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

(Trying my best to get my point across cryptically to avoid spoilers)

I think ultimately the message of Toy Story 4 is the same ongoing theme that runs through the series -- that life will change -- constantly -- and that it's alright. I think that's one of the reasons why these films have resonated so much with audiences of all ages for nearly a quarter of a century.

There's a lot more I want to say about the movie and the fact that I was -- and still am -- surprised by the way it ended (despite the fact that it was set up neatly throughout the film, I was still caught completely off guard). It's just too early to start getting into what I liked and didn't like about it.

But overall, I loved the movie every bit as much as the first three.

22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My post reveals a major spoiler so skip this if you haven't seen TS4.

I think that's a bit too abstract. The change was all in the context of the kids growing older and the adults voiced by the toys trying to deal with that. It was rather brilliant to give the toys the voice of adults so that it would be palatable and still fun for audiences of all ages.

In TS2, Woody nearly decided to abandon Andy. Andy's other toys had to remind Woody why it's of ultimate importance to be there for Andy. So this indeed was a surprise ending and a real departure from its predecessors. I really don't get it, or what the statement is at the end. "Be true to yourself," is the only thing that I can come up with but that is totally opposite the message of the other films, which was more about being true to your kid. Woody was the most advanced in taking to heart that message. It's what allowed him to recognize the importance of the Spork in the first part of TS4. Without Woody taking it upon himself to keep the spork out of the trash, the kid would have lost her self esteem. With him gone, who will be looking out for his kid in the same way? No one. I'm really struggling why Pixar would choose this story.

guppy270 likes this.
  23. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Really enjoyed it and laughed out loud a lot. Can’t really say I loved it, but that’s probably because I’ve seen all the Toy Story films, so it’s less of a surprising, spectacular event and more like a very enjoyable couple of hours with some old friends. Overall, I think this was as entertaining as any of the Toy Story films. Key and Peele are hilarious! (as always). Highly recommended to anyone and everyone.

24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Well, I was being intentionally abstract as I don't really want to get into specifics about the ending, but I think there's a lesson for kids and adults in all of these movies that "you're gonna be alright even as things change". This can be applied to everyone no matter who they are or what circumstances they face. As for why they decided on taking that direction...I'm torn. I'd like to see it a second time before deciding whether I like that decision. Nevertheless, I loved the movie.

Gregory Earl likes this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I teared up this afternoon when I saw it. Another excellent movie in this series. Besides a funny and moving story, I found the computer animation truly jaw-dropping. The opening scene in the rain and some of the wide shots of the carnival were dazzling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.