Toyah - Solo CD & DVD Boxset & reissue series 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Are there any plans to re-release the Sunday All Over The World album?

2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. Porkpie

4. Porkpie

Yes, it’s currently being remixed. It will also come with rare live material including a track they only performed live.

5. Porkpie

Toyah and her band are doing a live broadcast now on YouTube and Facebook with a Q&A and just said they’ve approached Steven Wilson to remix Kneeling at the Shrine by Sunday All Over the World.

sentinel90125 and Music Geek like this.
  6. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

I was just going to comment that the first 2 tracks on Velvet are quite good. Now after reading your comment I feel stupid.:oops:

7. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Just blatting my way through the Humans box great stuff.

8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Oh that's interesting -- has anyone heard whether Steven responded to their request?

JakeM likes this.
  9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm still waiting for Amazon Canada to ship the Humans CD box. Looks like they still haven't received any in the warehouse yet. :(

10. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I received my Humans box from Amazon Canada on Friday. Currently watching the DVD and the performance is excellent. The crowd is a bit of a dud, they don't really seem into the show at all. Before getting the box the only songs I knew were "These Boots..." and "We Are the Humans", so there is a lot here to digest.

Porkpie and SJP like this.
  11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Pre-ordered back in May, just arrived today! I'm not going to be accusing Amazon for being too efficient (it's not like it even needed to go through the USPS!), but at least it finally arrived.

Now where's the announcements for the Safari Years and the SAOTW boxes? I remain impatient.

Porkpie likes this.
  12. Porkpie

Safari releases are coming out next year. Toyah said she hopes to release SAOTW before the end of this year but we’ll see. I think there is one more set coming out this year but not sure what that is. I’m expecting them to split the Safari releases into 2 sets:

Set one:
    Sheep Farming
    Blue Meaning
    Toyah! Toyah! Toyah!

Set two:
    Anthem
    The Changeling
    Warrior Rock
    Love is the Law

I think the Mayhem compilation and stray tracks like Sphinx and all the b-sides will be collected up on bonus CDs in a box set but doubt they’ll make it to a compilation vinyl release (though that would be nice!)

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Just at the part of the live DVD where she introduces 'Is It Wrong?' as being from the album "unimaginatively titled 'Humans One'. " Did she really forget the name of one of her own albums?? :eek: :laugh:

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I don't know that there's enough audio material to justify the expense of two box sets (Sheep Farming/Blue Meaning (with all the early singles) were available quite inexpensively as a twofer set right up until 2018, so the demand might not be too high there. it's Warrior Rock and Love Is The Law that go for big bucks on eBay and discogs) but it may depend on just how much live video footage they have to be included on the DVD(s).

I expect the flexidiscs will be included, but I have to wonder if they could license the 'Danced' video clip from 'Urgh! A Music War.'

Porkpie likes this.
  15. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I do know that there's supposed to be some surprises with the Safari years set, maybe even some never before released stuff. I did do a little work recently on bonus material for one of the albums and asked if I could at least get a Thank You in the credits or something. I didn't get a response to that. I'm starting to wonder if my fandom is allowing me to be taken advantage of because I have done the occasional bit of free work on some past releases but don't get any credit or even a freebie.

Juggsnelson and 93curr like this.
  16. Porkpie

Announcement on today’s Toyah at Home YouTube show. Cherry Red will be reissuing each of her Safari catalogue albums as deluxe remastered versions in a series of releases.

First up is Sheep Farming in Barnet, as a white vinyl and double CD/DVD release.

[​IMG]

AdrianSoundchaser, SJP and tin ears like this.
  17. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Looks promising I assume that all of those early albums will get this treatment.

18. Porkpie

Yes! Apparently that’s the plan over the nexf 12 months and even a reworked version of Mayhem.

19. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I downloaded the shoestring version of Waiting from Soundcloud and it was fully dynamic. I hope that means the whole set and reissue series will also be.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

Well that was an instant purchase for me. Lots of early demos and a dvd too. If all the releases are as good as this then we might even finally get Drury Lane and The Rainbow concerts on dvd!!
    Is there any video footage known to exist from the Love Is The Law tour?

Porkpie likes this.
  21. TheLastVoice

TheLastVoice Forum Resident

Several times during the past week I've almost given in and purchased downloads of Sheep Farming and the other Safari albums. It was starting to seem like the chances of them ever being reissued was almost non-existent, so really happy I saw this thread. Went ahead and pre-ordered Sheep Deluxe. Can't wait for the others to come out!

Not sure about the Toyah Solo set though (or the Humans). I have the original cds of Minx (which I love) and Prostitute (which never really clicked for me), so not sure how much I'd be into the rest of the 'post-Safari' material.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    AdrianSoundchaser and Porkpie like this.
  22. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

I find that Minx follows Love Is The Law quite well. It follows the path the band was heading down anyway, even though it's classed as the first solo album.
    Her output after that is all over the place. Prostitute is very much a 'get it out of my system' album. Then she gets hubby Robert Fripp in for a couple of albums and they're quite intense.
    Nothing ever beat those first four albums and early singles!

TheLastVoice likes this.
  23. Porkpie

Personally I really love Desire and the latest, In the Court of the Crimson Queen.

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I bought 'In The Court Of The Crimson Queen' due to the title and the KC reference. Actually pleasantly surprised as I found most of her 80s material I heard pants. Honestly her hits were a bit grating but obviously aimed at a younger audience at the time. Only Toyah I have ever purchased. Interesting that there is such a big reissue campaign. What I heard of The Humans is more interesting but they were pretty much under the radar at the time. Low selling I presumed so surprising to see a vinyl campaign.

25. Porkpie

She’s actually one of Demon’s biggest sellers and has charted on the album charts 3 times in the last 12 months. The Humans CD boxset did exceptionally well, which is surprising as the original releases really flew under the radar.