Toyah - Solo CD & DVD Boxset & reissue series 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, Jan 10, 2020.

1. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

I hate this Toyah re-issue campaign.
    Why can't they just release a double or triple album set featuring all that bonus material.
    So annoying us vinyl lovers get 10 tracks yet the CD lovers get 37.

2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I buy the vinyl and then the cd versions can be found online. I imagine it’s a cost issue. Putting out a triple record set costing £60+ will sell a lot less copies than a straight up reissue of the album and then you can buy the CD, stream or find a torrent for the additional tracks.

3. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

I get confused by the versions of Ieya. I'm assuming that what's included on this release is the full-length original (8 mins) and the edited single (5 mins)?
    Did the original 12" have the LP version on it? Where does the re-recorded version fit in?

4. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

The rerecorded version is usually called 'Ieya 82' so that partly answers your question! It was released between 'Brave New World' and 'Be Proud Be Loud' so I guess it was recorded either during or just after The Changeling recordings.

Paul Rymer likes this.
  5. AdrianSoundchaser

I wasn't very impressed when I first started listening to the CD but after a while I realised that this is probably very close to what the original tapes sound like. Don't forget this was all very low-fi late seventies.

tin ears and Porkpie like this.
  6. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Not sure if it's been mentioned in another thread but it looks like there's two Toyah releases for this years Record Store Day. A white vinyl rarities comp on Demon basically including B sides and extras mainly from Desire, and then a green vinyl 12" of Four From Toyah with new artwork and expanded to 8 songs. Now that one looks good and I must have it, although I'm not so sure about the Demon comp just yet.

Juggsnelson and SJP like this.
  7. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

No more Toyah vinyl for me, thanks. I've got enough of that from the Olden Times.

8. AdrianSoundchaser

Same for me. I scratched and popped my way through the vinyl era.

9. AdrianSoundchaser

The Blue Meaning deluxe reissue is here and it follows the format of Sheep Farming to the letter. Original album, loads of bonus demos and a DVD which is interesting but slightly light on archive material.
    I compared the album to the original CD release on Great Expectations and there's more bass, more definition of the instruments but, as with Sheep Farming, no real revelations as far as sound goes.
    I'm still hoping for great things from Anthem and Changeling however it's Toyah Toyah Toyah next which will hopefully include some live rarities, both audio and video.

Juggsnelson and Porkpie like this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got the vinyl of Blue Meaning today and it sounds fantastic, really great remaster.

11. footstomper

Me too. Just listening on the headphones and it sounds fantastic. Toyah's voice on "Ieya" is amazing, I only ever had the Safari 45 so have never heard this longer version before.

AdrianSoundchaser and Porkpie like this.
  12. AdrianSoundchaser

The full 8-minute version of Ieya is amazing. In fact, this new reissue is really making me reconsider Blue Meaning as an album. I'd always thought it was surrounded by better albums but now I'm not so sure.
    I watched the DVD today. The two clips from the 80s are excellent and show how well Toyah had progressed as a singer. The interview is very informative but I do find acoustic versions from the settee a bit cheap. Get a full band in!

Porkpie likes this.
  13. footstomper

Haha! I'm actually loving this Toyah campaign and am really enjoying hearing all these records again (and they are getting played over and over again once more), just feeling short changed being a vinyl only buyer missing out on all the extra material.
    Top of my list for RSD this year was the Four From Toyah 12". Absolutely loving the demos on side 2, the way Toyah sings "It's A Mystery" with Blood Donor makes me giggle a little but her voice in incredible. I adore "Angels & Demons" and think I prefer the demo with the different lyrics. A beautiful song!

Porkpie likes this.
  14. Scott Davies

I was pretty irritated with the whole RSD thing. I wanted the 4 From Toyah 12" but it was only available to us in the USA at high prices on eBay and Discogs, so I scrapped it from my want list. I'm just not playing that when I didn't have a chance just because I wasn't in the UK or Europe.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. AdrianSoundchaser

Yep. RSD is such a racket. I don't know how it worked this year with the covid restrictions but you probably really needed to be the first in the queue to have any chance. I kept away.
    I assume the demos on the Four From Toyah vinyl will turn up as bonus tracks on the CD versions. I still have my original Four From Toyah vinyl from 1981. Maybe I shall play that instead!

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Threads like this are dangerous.
    I’m a sucker for box sets of this nature.
    Despite knowing very little about her, other than this thread and a quick perusal on Wikipedia, I splurged on what seems to be last copy of Solo at Amazon Canada (it now says unavailable).
    Hope I like it

17. AdrianSoundchaser

It's all gone very quiet on the reissue front. Has there been any news of another Cherry Red release?
    What would be really great is the ATV documentary on a Toyah! Toyah! Toyah! reissue.

18. Paul Rymer

Toyah maybe wanted to give the new album some time before more reissues.

19. Scott Davies

I've been informed that it's all still happening and some of the delay really comes down to vinyl manufacturing delays since they like to release everything at once. But there are some amazing previously unreleased finds on the way.

20. Paul Rymer

Toyah herself gives a lot of time to reissues, and she is very busy right now, I can see how it would also suit her to work on these when she isn't on tour.

Blair G. likes this.
  21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Too busy making those goofy little videos with Robert:)
    Which is all good because they make laugh and she’s adorable

tin ears likes this.
  22. hefeman

hefeman Forum Resident

Porkpie likes this.
  23. TheLastVoice

TheLastVoice Forum Resident

Just noticed I got an email from Cherry Red a couple of days ago mentioning that the 1 CD/DVD reissue of Toyah! Toyah! Toyah! is releasing on May 13th. 4 bonus live tracks on the cd and the ATV 'Toyah' documentary on the dvd. Looking forward to it as I've never heard the album or seen the doc.

Toyah: Toyah! Toyah! Toyah!, CD/DVD Edition - Cherry Red Records

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    aphexj, AdrianSoundchaser and Porkpie like this.
  24. AdrianSoundchaser

The two live Toyah Band albums are both excellent. However, the real draw here is the ATV documentary which is fantastic. A real snapshot of the time. I've had a fuzzy copy for a while but if the clip she put on YouTube is an example of quality then it's all on film and should be amazing.

TheLastVoice and aphexj like this.
  25. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

Anthem is due out on 2cd/dvd later in the year. Cherry Red has a limited signed card with the pre order at the moment.