tracking weight

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve G, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Right. It is a budget priced HT system and you know they are solid state.

2. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

You should look at the Technics SL-1200 Mk2. They can still be found online for under $400, although that price does not include a cartridge. It allows for pitch adjustment of plus/minus 8%. It's also fairly simple to set up and has adjustable VTA. Although the 1200 is considered a 'dj' turntable, the design actually dates back to the '70s and back then it was just a 'regular' turntable.

The build quality easily trumps the flimsy low-end Music Hall and Rega turntables. Although the CW on this forum says that only a belt drive will do, I think that the direct drive '1200 puts to rest that myth. Mine sounds great and it will probably outlast me.

- joe s

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not trashing your 1200, but what do you find "flimsy" about a Rega turntable? Which is the "low-end" Rega you're talking about? I know it's not a Rockport :love:, but I would never think of my Planar 3 as "flimsy".

4. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Music Hall's and Rega's are rock solid! How are they flimsy???

Also, direct drive is not desirable, because the motor is physically connected to the platter. In a belt drive system, the only contact point is a thin little rubber belt. Why would you want an electromagnetic device, that vibrates, touching the platter?? The key to a quiet table is isolation, and you can not acheive that with a direct drive. Anyway, thats another discussion.

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

How about getting something used? Maybe something like a Pioneer deck from the '70s or '80s, something like that. From when turntables were still being made with a certain care.

Many people both here and elsewhere have posted tales of finding these for pocket change at garage sales and other such places, and if you pay attention to a number of details to make sure it's in good shape, one of these 'tables could serve you more than well, at least for a while.

Maybe other members here could be a bit more helpful regarding manufacturers and models to look after.

Just an idea..

6. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I was referring to the MMF 2.1 and those Rega tables that come in all the different colors. I'm sure they sound good, but they feel lightweight and rickety to me.

- joe s

7. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I agree that this is another discussion. However, i think I get pretty decent isolation with my 1200.

I had a belt drive Dual for years and years. When I replaced it with the Technics, there was no sudden, drastic change in sound quality, or anything else that would indicate some inherent flaw with direct drive systems. The Technics is solidly built and it sounds great. Plus, it includes a pitch control, which is something SteveG said he wanted.

- joe s

8. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member Thread Starter

Well here's a new wrinkle to this whole thing.

Let me tell the story.

I, after going to war with Sam Ash, was able to get my money back for the Numark, and after doing a bunch of research at the shops, I agree with all of you that the only DJ turntable I could live with would be a 1200. They are pricey but I think I could get one for about $250 used. They seem really great.

However

Going through my stuff I realized that I actually HAVE an old direct drive turntable. It's a Dual 606. It just needs a cartridge. Now I got this turntable for free, and I had no preamp back when I got it, and it needed a cartridge, and the cartridge for one costs like a hundred bucks or something, so I had totally forgotten about this machine. But having looked at all these other players, when I went back and looked at it it looked like you could spend a little money and make it into a pretty good record player. But I don't know how good the thing is, because I've never actually HEARD it.

So I think there would be another option and what I was wondering is: would it be worth fixing this turntable, or is it not going to be that great and it's better to just get something newer?

very interesting!

-s

9. By all means fire up the Dual; it's got a strobe, so you can adjust the speed and see if it runs steady. I've never owned this model but I found a web page on it:

http://www.compassnet.com/concept/tables/606.htm

Looks like it was sold with or without a cartridge. I'm sure the folks on this board will have some cart recommendations.

10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Steve, I am going way, way out on the limb here and I hope I do not offend anyone, because I really just want to help you get a better TT. I am going to start this in a strange way. If you look at my profile you will see that I have a $10,000 TT and cartridge. Please believe when I say you have no idea what vinyl has to offer until you have heard it on TT like mine and all tube amplification system like I have. So what does this have to do with you. Before I had the present system my TT was a 30 year old Thorens TD 150 Mk II with a Shure M97E cartridge (total cost about $200, but in 30 year old dollars). Is my VPI TNT-HR better than the Thorans - of course it is. However, they both have one thing in common, they are both musical. I sold my TD 150 to another forum member and he loves it, I helped another forum member pick out a TD 160 (and even better TT) on ebay for less than $200. I my earlier years (when my ears were a lot better) I heard a lot of systems with Dual TT's and they never seemed as musical. So if you do not want to go for the MMF 2.1 look around for a used Thorens TD 160, slap a Shure 97E in it (you can later upgrade to a V15) and you will have a really nice TT.

11. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member Thread Starter

hey ALP that sounds like a good plan thanks

-s

12. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I think you're talking about the P3. Mine is in black and with a few tweeks (arm rewire, counterweight, new mat, platter and sub platter) it sounds amazing IMO.
    Sounded damn good stock for that matter
    Come have a listen
    :righton:
    Peace-
    Norm

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Speaking of tracking weight, anyone have experience with electronic stylus force gauges? Are they better in any practical sense than the inexpensive & less precise old-fashioned kinds?

14. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

They are suppose to be more accurate, Michael Fremer has talked about them some in his Stereophile column, but on the other hand, my $8000 VPI TNT-HR came with a Shure tracking force gauge (manual balance beam type) and I figure if it is good enough for VPI, it is good enough for me. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.