DCC Archive Traffic MFSLs...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vivaldinization, Oct 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member Thread Starter

Was curious...how do the old Traffic MFSL CDs compare to the recent remasters?

-D

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I actually prefer the sound of the Simply Vinyl issues, and the original UK Island Cds made in the 80's. Go ahead - laugh!

The new reissues have bonus tracks, and I think Universal in Germany is releasing "John Barleycorn" on Vinyl....Yep! Watch for that one. I sure will.

I don't like the new sound of John Barleycorn (remaster) or Traffic s/t. "Heaven Is In Your Mind" BKA "Mr. Fantasy" is an interesting package.

Get the remasters if you're curious bout the bonuses. The MFSL I have of Low Spark on CD is one of the better Traffic MFSL's. The rest of them sound alright; (Traffic & Mr. Fantasy) glad I didn't have to sell my limbs for em. They're "OK" doode. Oh, I forgot about "Shoot Out". That CD, the MFSL I thought I enjoyed more. I was just listening to a more recent Atco/Island black label of "Shoot Out" that had a nice dippy warp in it, no groove damage. Sounded great!! ($2.99, used of course)

Get the Blind Faith MFSL-CD or the MFSL-LP instead? That's really a fantastic sound.

-Sckott

3. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have the MFSL of Low Spark. I like it better than the old Island I have. I have the German “remaster” of “John Barleycorn must die” on CD, but it has been no-noised and I don’t like it as much as my Japanese Island pressing. The remaster sound is louder for sure and something else I cannot quite put my finger on. A friend referred to it as someone’s death wail and asked me not to play it when she was around. Really. :eek:
    Does anyone know which is the best pressing (un-futzed with, flat transfer) of Traffic’s “John Barleycorn must die”?
    Also, I have some miscellaneous questions. First, I remember someone on this board stating that (long ago)the UK pressing of Jethro Tull’s “Stand Up” was the one to get as opposed to the ridiculously priced MFSL pressing. Is that the one the 1990 Continuum label release? Also, did DCC release Rod Stewart’s “Never a Dull Moment” on gold CD? (I have seen copies for sale). Thanks!

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Sckott,

I respectfully dissent from your underrating of the MFSL "Traffic" album :D

Actually, it is one of my favorite GAIN CDs. It was the third I bought - I believe after the disappointing Moody Blues "Threshold of a Dream." Good dynamics on it - Jim Capaldi's drums thump with testoserone. Not a bad disc for its time.

5. Sckott

Traffic has been one of those bands that audiophiles look to for strong musical and technically proficiant content. It's like the back-drop of your Pink Floyds and Jethro Tulls. It's like "...yeah AND break out the Traffic album to see just how this amp performs!"

Like I said before, I've been very amazed at some of the ordinary Atco/Island issues of yester-decade. They're NOT that bad at all. (Sorry TommyTunes, I don't own any godlike Pink Island UKs). Sadly, yes the worst Traffic I heard was some of those cheapy US United Artist pressings of Heavy Traffic (nice cover, BUT) Barleycorn UA vinyl and the recent Universal Cds. Island should have done something similar to how they did the Free box in the Uk. Donno if there's MUCH more fer extras that's hanging around equally appealing as what may have gone into Last Exit, Barleycorn or Shootout.

I DO own a lazerdisc of "Traffic At Santa Monica" (1972) 65min. It's brillant, although technically, the dork behind the mixer was too busy with his pipe when Capaldi started singing though ("Light Up Or Leave Me Alone", and ironic title) I think I bought it for $10 back in '91. It's very tube. Even the cameras. Those spotlights make the camera get sunspots and streaks. Steve is wikkid in it.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Keep in mind that there are two different sets of remasters out there - the UK versions (NR'd) and the US versions (mastered by Jeff Willens, no NR).

I should listen to the new remasters again soon...

7. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

now Luke, you've got me intrigued. I have the 3 UK remasters from a year or two ago, and I wasn't all that excited with the sound on them. Can you or anyone else provide a comparative review of the UK and US remasters? Certainly, I agree that Barleycorn could be improved upon - the UK remaster is rather lacklustre.

I have most of the Traffic and Winwood MFSL gold discs, and do like them all. Low Spark is a winner. I particularly like Shootout on MFSL - it craps all over my old UK vinyl copy. The MFSL Shootout has some nice bass on it. Another one that I really enjoy is the MFSL gold CD of "Steve Winwood" - the standard issue wasn't too bad, but the MFSL is noticeably improved, IMO. They did improve Arc of a Diver too, but I think it was an inferior sounding recording to begin with.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've never heard the UK CDs, but I know:

- noise reduction was used on them
    - Bill Levenson felt they sounded too "processed", which is why they were remastered again for US release

I've got the first 3 albums (US remasters). I don't have much to compare them to, but they sound pretty good to me...

9. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Thanks Luke. I looked here and there on the web but couldn't find anything about the US versions. Then I found that CDUniverse has a bit of detail on them - Mr Fantasy, Heaven is in Your Mind, Barleycorn and Last Exit are "Digitally remastered by Gary Moore, Allan Leeming and Kieran McGarry at Universal Digital Mastering Studios, London". "Traffic" is "mastered by Jeff Willens (Universal Mastering)" - all are produced by Bill Levenson.

I was excited about the UK remasters when they came out, but this turned to disappointment when I heard them. I'm gonna have to track down the US versions.

I note that Last Exit has been remastered for the US, but didn't come out in the UK with the others. Looks like the US Traffic has the bonus tracks, but Barleycorn misses out on the few live tracks that were added on to the UK remaster.

10. Sckott

I would strongly suggest hunting down some of the Traffic on Vinyl to compare the CDS with, believe it or not. Even the black and blue label pressings sound phenom in mint condition. If yo don't have a turntable... I'd say keep away from the remasters, but try out the US/UA "Mr Fantasy" or "Heaven Is In Your Mind".

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why? They sound pretty good to me...

12. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

The only vinyl I have is an old UK pressing of "Shootout", probably a much later pressing. It's OK, but not brilliant - I think the Mofi gold CD leaves it in the dust. I will try some more vinyl - it's not that hard to find.

I'll give the US remasters a go, I think. I will try the Mr Fantasy/Heaven is in Your Mind pair. I actually prefer the way they have reissued those in the US, with the separate US and UK versions.

Has anyone heard the "Last Exit" remaster? I'm curious to know what it's like.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've got it - I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I'd say it sounds pretty good. It doesn't have Steve's touch, but hey...

A few songs are perhaps a bit overly "fat" sounding, but again, I don't have much else to compare them to.

14. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I can now report on the comparison of the US versus UK remasters of "John Barleycorn". I can see why Bill Levenson in the US wanted to redo the remastering - the UK version with de-noising always sounded awful to my ears.

The UK CD states that it was "processed using Sonic Solutions NoNoise technology and mastered to 16 bit for CD using Prism SNS Noise Shaping" - well that sounds like a whole lotta too much mucking around with the sound, and it shows. The bottom end sounds like its been overly boosted or something - the effect you get when your bass drivers go into overload and start to sound like wet sacks. The high end is brittle, and vocals in particular sound like sandpaper.

In contrast, the US remaster (done by Jeff Willens) is a much more pleasant affair. The bass is smoother and more natural sounding, and Steve Winwood's voice sounds like it has some body. It's probably not the last word as far as remastering this album, but is not bad at all. I'd love to hear what Steve H. could do with it.

The only reason I can give to buy the UK remasters of Traffic's first few albums is for the bonus material - while the US version of Barleycorn does have two new studio tracks, the UK version has the same two extra studio tracks plus 3 live tracks from the period. They sound pretty ordinary, but the music is good. The UK version of "Traffic" also has a few bonus cuts, which are quite worthwhile - I don't think the US version has them.

Otherwise, the UK remasters are a sonic disaster.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Looks like I forgot to clear this one up. All of the US CDs are mastered by Jeff Willens and produced by Bill Levenson. The aforementioned trio did the analog to digital transfers for the CDs.

I just threw in "You Can All Join In" on Traffic. It sounds a tad 'thick' to me, but in listening to the "Smiling Phases" set, I think that's just how it was recorded/mixed. It does sound better than on that set to these ears. Not harsh at all. Everything seems a bit more "choked up" than it should, but...

16. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Luke, yes that became apparent after viewing the credits for the US reissue of Barleycorn.... the trio of guys did the tape transfers in London, and the remastering was done by Jeff Willens, presumably in the US.

I wonder if the UK remasters started with the same digital transfers as used by Jeff Willens? If so, they really screwed up the job, IMHO. There is no doubt that the Barleycorn album, and other early Traffic recordings, were not ideally recorded. At least the US remaster of Barleycorn did a better job of presenting Steve Winwood's vocals in a way that doesn't hurt the ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.