Traffic: Terrific or Twaddle?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

That's right and that's why it's my least favourite of theirs. I just can't listen to it.They got much better very quickly.

moodyxadi, a customer and Erik B. like this.
  2. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

The op is a twit?

3. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

TERRIFIC. For one thing, I consider Steve Winwood one of the greatest vocalists that England ever produced. I do concede that the band held more promise than what they delivered... I liked both phases (pre-1969 and after,) but they sort of "ran out of gas" (so to speak) at the end of each phase. It's unfortunate that Blind Faith never developed into something massive, or that Winwood was never part of a "top tier" English group with a killer songwriter and/or virtuoso guitarist. Ah, what might have been... but Traffic produced some magic.

Sounds like Lennon being his usual caustic self... I love the guy, but it's little wonder why George Harrison had more friends.

matt_vinyl and PH416156 like this.
  4. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I Love Traffic in both of their phases but I tend to lean towards the Winwood/Capaldi/Wood era(aka latter day) for the better material written, recorded and performed. When they had David Hood and Roger Hawkins as the rhythm section, I think they were at their peak. Steve in particular, was able to focus on his keyboard and more importantly his fantastic guitar playing. He was a bit overshadowed by Dave Mason I suppose in the early era, but then again, the group dynamic was much different than what followed later.

I love the self-titled second album and Low Spark/Shootout as their finest albums. I also own the Live in Santa Monica concert video that was taken from the Low Spark tour, excellent stuff!

moodyxadi likes this.
  5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The pre-Blind Faith incarnation is almost a separate band from the reformed version, and not just because of Dave Mason's inclusion or absence. Like the former, love the latter.

ARK, moodyxadi, a customer and 3 others like this.
  6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Terrifidle

Mister Charlie likes this.
  7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The first album is the only one I really like. Coloured Rain, Heaven Is In Your Mind and Berkshire Poppies ftw. Guess I'm not a real fan, but I am fond of that one quite a bit.

Man at C&A, zebop, ODShowtime and 2 others like this.
  8. correction: good but least interesting songwriting.

9. 3 very talented musicians (4 when Mason was with them). All their albums are great imo with Barleycorn and Low Spark being at the top.

ARK, moodyxadi and Electric like this.
  10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Good to Great
    Heaven Is In Your Mind (AKA Mr. Fantasy)
    Last Exit
    John Barleycorn Must Die
    The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Meh
    Traffic
    Welcome to the Canteen
    On the Road
    When The Eagle Flies

Hard Pass
    Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory
    Far From Home

All Down The Line likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like the Mr. Fantasy album most. Possibly dated, but if it is it's dated to a truly great era in pop / rock music and there's nothing wrong with that.

I have the first three albums. After that I get the impression I'll find them absolute bollocks. I've never ventured there and have no inclination too.

Baidur, Sear, rockerreds and 2 others like this.
  12. I think they were at their very best when Dave Mason was in the group. They were a more well rounded and seemed to focus on greater songwriting (just my personal take). Plus Stevie and Dave may have bee somewhat competitive that made for better music; better records.

sjaca, willy and Manalishi like this.
  13. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

So presumably it was Paul who considered Traffic's inclusion in Magical Mystery Tour...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    willy likes this.
  14. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Great band

ARK, All Down The Line and Erik B. like this.
  15. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Terrific > Twaddle.

16. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I tend to rate them by individual songs and not albums. I've always loved this melange of strange chord changes:

Am I What I Was Or Was I What I Am?

ARK, ajsmith and willy like this.
  17. HughMacpherson

HughMacpherson Forum Resident

Yep, that's the best albums in my world of Traffic. Great band. Paul Weller loves 'em too.

18. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Never really thought about it, but that might be one of the reasons I could never get into them. I also don't like Steve Winwood's vocals. The weird part is that I recognize he's got a good singing voice. But for some reason that I could never figure out, I just don't enjoy listening to him sing. What a paradox, huh?

Man at C&A and Rockin' Robby like this.
  19. Terry Shute

Terry Shute King of Sweden

Who's up for a Winwood/Mason Traffic reunion?

20. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I'm a fan of the first two albums, but never cared too much about the rest.

This is a great overlooked single:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  21. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Traffic was really a few different bands, united by Steve Winwood as singer. I like the first three albums - each with an almost totally different sound; Mr. Fantasy probably being my favorite of those. And then you have Low Spark, which was their apex of that period of the band. It's probably my favorite of their catalog - it has a nice unified vibe. I think that was about it, as far as the band was concerned, though - the other two albums were pretty boring IMO.

22. Nope That ship has sailed...

23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Have to agree with the OP in that my German Best Of Traffic is all I need of the early stuff (though I have the self-titled record).

The period represented by Traffic, John Barleycorn and Low Spark are some great records. Shootout At The Fantasy Factory is where it starts to go sideways, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good the album actually is (just picked up a used copy last year), and much better than their 70's swan song, When The Eagle Flies.

"Paper Sun" is a great psych single. "Colored Rain" is a fantastic psychedelic track. When the band was on, they were as good as anyone IMO.

24. CRJ

CRJ Ski Patrol

I've never got into Traffic.
    After Phil Brown's book came out, which I got for the Talk Talk section, I did read about his time with Traffic and thought I'd try again. Still didn't do anything for me. I can appreciate that some of it is technically good, but a lot of music is technically good but doesn't do anything for me personally.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I came into Traffic by way of hearing a Steve Winwood live compilation where he does some Traffic tunes. Up until then I only knew the Traffic songs played on rock radio. I had always associated the band with my older siblings and a kind of hippie vibe.
    Low Spark was my first foray and I love that record, but I do have Barleycorn, Traffic and Mr. Fantasy/Heaven on my buy list.

ARK and All Down The Line like this.