Traffic: Terrific or Twaddle?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Feb 4, 2020.

1. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I don't like either of them that much, but Fantasy Factory has virtually nothing that I like on it. There have already been enough jokes about the title of the final track, but it should have been the title track, IMO, for being so representative.

Wildest cat from montana and DTK like this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well said! The self titled one (try and find an original vinyl copy if into that format, sweet booklet inside gatefold) is an absolute masterpiece. A bit of a neglected title is "Where The Eagle Flies", if into Jazz, worth having for "Dream Gerrard" alone.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I find Shootout is a good record to have on when I'm doing other stuff around my place.

2 nice long sides with 4 long tracks. Definitely a product of the album era. I dig it though.

4. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

This compilation does it for me....

One of the few bands I feel the individuals members were as strong as the group together.

Traffic - Best Of Traffic

5. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Top shelf stuff, immense love for the music.

ARK, PH416156, Chrome_Head and 2 others like this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

My 1978 German reissue is probably one of the best-sounding records I have:

Traffic - Best Of Traffic

7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

OK, but unfamiliar readers should know that that comp only covers the lesser-known 1967 and 1968 versions of the band. Almost everybody today potentially interested in Traffic would probably want exposure to John Barleycorn (1970) and Low Spark (1971), as this ended up being the most identifiable work by the band.

Unless by implication you mean that you don't like anything on the 1970s albums.

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I've always loved this band. they must have made quite an impression right from the start considering the debut came out in December of 1967 and bill graham had them headlining both fillmores on the first American tour only a few months later.

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I strongly recommend that you buy this version of Traffic's debut LP. You will get the original experience US listeners got of the songs being linked together and flowing into each other, as well as a superior track selection and sequencing over the British version of Mr. Fantasy.

[​IMG]

10. My only live Traffic show was an all Island Records line up in January, 1973. Here are a few photos I took that night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chrome_Head, ARK, Seabass and 25 others like this.
  11. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

You saw John Martyn live........how was it. Not to get off track. Those are great photos.

12. I had been into Traffic and John Martyn before this show. Not so much into Free at the time but everyone was great that night.. a perfect threesome.

ARK and jeffrey walsh like this.
  13. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Love Low Spark and John Barleycorn and albums select tracks prior to those two.Have a remastered best of on cd-why can’t we get that on vinyl?

moodyxadi likes this.
  14. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Winwood's voice was once described as "Ray Charles on helium" (in a good way)

15. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Terrific, no question. All encompassing box set please.

ARK, Erik B., willy and 3 others like this.
  16. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

"Paper Sun" is fabulous... love the sitar

ARK, Suncola, willy and 1 other person like this.
  17. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Let's not forget Chris Wood's contributions to the unique Traffic sound. I have most of the albums and this:

[​IMG]

ARK, moodyxadi, Nick Dunning and 8 others like this.
  18. FillmoreGuy

Saw the Clapton/Winwood gig at MSG a few years back. They did a few Traffic numbers and it was excellent. Made you realize how good Traffic
    was.

ARK, All Down The Line, willy and 2 others like this.
  19. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with Shoot Out. Great album. Played it constantly when it was new.

piepants, ARK, JJ3810 and 5 others like this.
  20. FillmoreGuy

It was actually a hit single of sorts here. Heard it on AM radio a few times.

21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I would say that John Barleycorn Must Die is beyond essential, one of the best albums of its day.

The rest of their stuff is hit or miss, IMO. Agree re: Mr. Fantasy. Self-titled is pretty good. Low Spark is pretty good, but I prefer the live versions of those songs on On the Road (which is probably my second-favorite album by them).

22. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

TERRIFIC!

23. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I generally have grown to love all the normal big name rock that lots of smart educated rock people tend to love, and may have that switch happen with Traffic someday, but they are one of a handful of highly lauded stood-the-test-of-time rock bands I have never seen much merit in.

Their music feels....thin to me, gaseous, weedy, doesn't stick. (I used to think similarly about the Dead and they are now in my top 10 of all time so I might "grow" into Traffic one day as well. I'll keep dipping in on occasion.)

24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Winwood was already a star from his days in the Spencer Davis Group.

ARK likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Neither is bad, but the last two albums feel like the start of Steve's solo career. A bit more bland.