Traffic: The Studio Albums 1967-1974 vinyl box set (05/17/2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

I should've done this with the Eric Clapton, Roxy Music, and Springsteen (Vol. 2) box sets that GZ also botched.

They do seem to be improving a bit but they're responsible for so many horrible and disappointing pressings over the years, I still cringe when I see their stamped number codes in the deadwax.

Let us know if they come through for you, Tommyboy.

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Sell the box, then :)

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

GZ did come through.

None of the replacements were perfect but certainly acceptable. Eagle Flies and Shootout were upgrades. Low Spark was a wash.

Again, I find it unbelievable that Universal Music continues the practice of placing records in hard cardboard sleeves for some of their reissues. Absolute stupidity.

ODShowtime, Flaming Torch and sennj like this.
  4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I guess I should put the records in this Traffic box in better inner sleeves and go through some of my other Universal vinyl releases (including Mott the Hoople). I assume it is while records are in transit that the hard cardboard sleeves do the most damage?

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Not sure. Could be transit. Way too many hairlines on the last 3 records. The first 3 were flawless.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  6. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

could you please list the non lp, different versions or mixes; the 45's that should be had ?
    thanks

7. donohed

thanks for all the confidence
    is Mr Fantasy the mono mix?

8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

No, the whole set is stereo.

9. donohed

that's good - i bought the Sundazed mono version not long ago. i'm trying to push myself to buy this expen$ive set
    thanks a lot

10. donohed

don't know if anyone else answered for you, or if you read my own answer somewhere else on the forum, but according to the Tragic Magick book he was devastated by two deaths, one following the other, and he lost it for awhile. his offer to quit was not accepted, and so Jim Gordon stepped in along with Reebop.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  11. donohed

$95 delivered to the U.S. from amazon UK
    unfortunately the neighbor who i enlisted & paid to buy it for me, to keep my wife in the dark, his wife RATTED ME OUT TO MY WIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! almost ruined my marriage. the ratting happened in 3 text stages, all in the course of about a half hour. caught off guard and unable to admit to it at first, successive stages included more and more damaging information about my deceptions, and my continued lies just mortally wounded my wife's trust in me. also included in the ratting was the $125 Grado blue i had him order. all unopened, so far, as i continue to work on my guilt, shame, adolescent tendencies self, and however much i can regain my wife's trust. ignoring that pos must be a better course than telling her what a despicable human being she is. what i did was despicable, but i'm a guy !

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Ah, sure just play the records and leave her to stew. I’m sure there’ll be a perfume purchase down the line that a well-aimed eyebrow can be directed at.

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I see what you did there: ;)

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I'm just wondering why you decided to tell us this story here on a public forum? If it is to spill your guts, fine... but in my estimation what you did was wrong. If you have to have other people purchase things for you so your wife doesn't find out, it is possible your marriage is already in the stages of "ruin" - and the ratting out of what you did was just another nail in the coffin.

You don't have to answer, but if it is the fact that you couldn't afford both the box of LPs and the new cartridge - either/or both - then there are other issues. If it is just the fact that you have too much stuff and your wife doesn't want you to buy anymore, then you need to have a discussion with your wife about the issue.

I don't think any of us here know the state of your marriage, but saying you are a guy makes being despicable ok - you are wrong. And I assume the person you want to ignore is the neighbor's wife. Well calling her a pos and despicable seems a bit rough. Obviously you knew you were doing something wrong, and the fact that the women's husband paid to buy it for you, puts her between a rock and hard place and somehow puts the ball in her court. I assume she probably read the riot act to her husband for perpetrating your little end run around your wife.

Hey, it's your life, not mine - you are free to do and think what you want as long as it doesn't have any affect on my life/wife. :) I have my own issues, where more and more product comes in the house but never leaves.... and my wife complains and then life goes on. At least I don't hide any purchases from her.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Let’s not judge the guy’s personal life, please. Who are we to point out whether or not the guy is right or wrong in his marriage. We all have skeletons in our closets, right? Keep the focus on your own record collections.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  16. Arnold Grove

I've lost count and can't even get into my closet any more ... :hide:

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

chacha likes this.
  18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Besides, I suspect there was a tongue firmly ensconced between gritted teeth.

19. Arnold Grove

Whose tongue though? ;)

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yours, I shouldn’t wonder, given the mouth on ya.

21. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Yes, but still not sure what Mexicali Blues is doing on there.

Thank you, I"ll be here all week!...because I can't go anywhere else right now. :targettiphat:

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. donohed

thanks ! our 15+ year marriage has been, and is pretty much back, to being a very very loving and considerate one. lots of humor, but of course i'm a pos for spending big on junk behind her back for me, not us. part of my defense was, and very true, that i never ever said no to her about anything that she wanted to do or buy, including trips home to Europe. she came from a very poor background. me, middle class, relatively careless, and with a compulsive appetite for records, posters, and the like. while i should have grown to be more responsible as a married man than i have, there are worse things i could be up to.
    i know what's too much for u$. it was much more my denial and lieing that really wounded her. i / we have made great progress these past two days.
    i gave the neighbor all of the $ right up front.

23. donohed

my closet's full of cassettes.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I am very glad your marriage survived this. Collecting records or music memorabilia can become a strong addiction that will cause us to compromise in many areas of our lives. I've seen many men over my 38-year hobby give in to lying or stealing to add a meaningless record to their collection. I had to face that addictive reality in my life about 25 years ago and decided that I would not take money out of the family budget for records. Over the last 15 years, I have only made new record purchases by selling or trading from my collection. I also tell my wife ahead of time when any significant purchase is going to be made so she will be aware that I will be selling records to reimburse the account - and then I do it. She has learned to trust my commitment to the truth. Accountability to your wife concerning your hobby will go a long way to re-establishing trust. Again, talk to your wife about an accountability system that will bring your compulsive behavior under control. Your honesty about your lack of self-control and the need to cover your shame by lying will put your marriage on a firm foundation going forward. It is a great hobby until it is advanced at the expense of others around us. I appreciate the patience of those in this thread by allowing me to post this.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  25. donohed

thank you so much for such an insightful, well relayed message, advice, caution, and advice. it is a lesson well worth my while to read. God i love collecting. a couple of times a few years back, while clearing a path in my allotted junk room, i'd come across a really dynamite piece of memorabilia, that i HAD to have, forgot all about, and still in whatever packaging it was posted in. just in a pile of junk, that it could easily have been thrown away. opened, but still, i had to acknowledge, then, my compulsive buying, the quantity of stuff i acquire, and the fact that it was something(s) i forgot about and didn't miss. now everything is mounted in impressive scrapbooks, great, but the flip of missing out on the other side of life is there too. as i continued to get new and upgrade first pressings of UK vinyl.

your disciplined practice of the hobby paying for itself and regaining your wifes trust sure is a model. my wifes' ability to have immediately sorted out the priority of my acknowledging exactly what i did, my lies, by telling me to open up my heart, was so together, but i couldn't yet. lending credence to what a great woman i attracted, and that she is more together than i.
    a few hours later i ex-ploded when she refused to accept my insincere apology. i was pathetic. it was the still disbelief of what my friend / neighbors wife did to me, and my poor ability to handle the situation. my older sister (who saw the Beatles at Shea) gave me the perspective and advice that i needed, that worked so well to begin healing the damage i'd done, the trust i broke, and forced me to face the fact that what i did was deceptive on a level of reality that i've conveniently disregarded. the fact that while mrs so and so up the block should have handled it a lot better (she's such a good friend that her conscience couldn't allow it to go on. two weeks later. what really happened was that she was p'o'd that i left behind an n95 dust mask on the garage handle for her 72 yo husband, in case he had to go somewhere, after she stressed through my wife that she did not want any contact whatsoever now because of the virus. i noted on paper that it was untouched out of the box, but that didnt matter), is beside the point, and that it's still all my fault.

continued, real progress, was evidenced earlier when i helped her make an important appt on the phone (her accent is ....strong): she thanked me, and i said well i'm working on building my status back up, or something like that. she said that it's going to take A LOT more, with a reassuring gaze, but then we both smiled.
    again, thank you for your encouragement, dkurtis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.