Tragically Hip- Road Apples Box Set (2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dance_hall_keeper, May 20, 2021.

1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident Thread Starter

From CBC News: The Tragically Hip to release new album of previously unheard tracks.

[​IMG]
    Saskadelphia - The Tragically Hip.

It is 1990 in New Orleans, in an old mansion that looms over the neighbourhood called Vieux Carré or the French Quarter. It is a place of ghosts, mostly friendly, that suddenly find themselves sharing space with a Canadian rock band trying to exorcise demons of its own."

So begins the introduction to a just-announced set of previously unreleased songs from the Tragically Hip. It contains five songs recorded during the band's 1990 Road Apples sessions and one song written around the same time. Collectively called Saskadelphia, which was the original working title for Road Apples and a portmanteau for the band's sense of touring everywhere (but feeling like they could be anywhere, from Saskatoon to Philadelphia), the six-song EP will be released on May 21.

Great news!!!

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Alright! Brand new Gary Numan and vintage Hip on the same day...

3. dance_hall_keeper

Yeah, too bad Gary Numan doesn’t have a thread dedicated to that release.

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

5. dance_hall_keeper

6. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

7. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

8. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Glad I never bought Saskadelphia on Vinyl. I'm guessing they will offer this as a Hi Res release but everything will most likely be brick walled.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  9. Impedance36

Impedance36 Forum Resident

Also glad I didn't buy Saskadelphia, but who knows, down the line it may command some money if they are just gonna press on black instead of silver vinyl from this point on. Hip stuff tends to trend upwards apparently.

10. OasisFan and robbroncs like this.
  11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The CD version is $100Us plus $22US for shipping. Too much..hopefully Amazon gets it.

12. noname74

Just announced:

Vinyl- THE TRAGICALLY HIP Road Apples Vinyl Box Set

“The culmination of 30 years: Road Apples 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition - Featuring Live at the Roxy from May 3rd, 1991, which includes the iconic Killer Whale Tank performance. As well as Hoof - Hearted, an album of rarities and outtakes. A 5 LP set + Blu Ray

Includes:

• Road Apples 2021 Remastered Vinyl
    • Saskadelphia Vinyl
    • Live at the Roxy Vinyl
    • Hoof Hearted Vinyl
    • ATMOS Mixes of Road Apples and 5 tracks from Saskadelphia on Blu-Ray
    • 36 Page Booklet including reproduction of Gord Downie’s handwritten lyrics, additional liner notes, rare photos, and more!

CD- THE TRAGICALLY HIP Road Apples CD Box Set

“The culmination of 30 years: Road Apples 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition - Featuring Live at the Roxy from May 3rd, 1991, which includes the iconic Killer Whale Tank performance. As well as Hoof - Hearted, an album of rarities and outtakes. A 4 CD set + Blu Ray

Includes:

• Road Apples 2021 Remastered CD
    • Saskadelphia CD
    • Live at the Roxy CD
    • Hoof Hearted CD
    • ATMOS Mixes of Road Apples and 5 tracks from Saskadelphia on Blu-Ray
    • 36 Page Booklet including reproduction of Gord Downie’s handwritten lyrics, additio

Sean, Boswell and Amnion like this.
  13. noname74

14. noname74

I will be very interested to see what is on Hoof Hearted.

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Road Apples' is such a cool album . Maybe their best.

16. Love the album but I just bought Saskadelphia a few months ago and there is no mention of 5.1, just Atmos, so I'm going to pass. Unless it does have 5.1, then I'll be tempted.

17. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Sean and noname74 like this.
  18. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

The Blu-ray is going to have the following mixes for Road Apples and 5 tracks from Saskadelphia: Dolby Atmos, 7.1 surround, 5.1 surround and Bianural mix

kevywevy and noname74 like this.
  19. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I think I will be waiting for reviews before purchasing this one. The Hip put all of their albums up in Hi-Res and they kept the dynamics intact for that release of Road Apples. Saskadelphia on the other hand was a brick walled mess and I fear they will take the same mastering approach from that album over to the 2021 remaster of Road Apples.

Rockin' Robby and kevywevy like this.
  20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The Live at the Roxy bootleg is very good, I doubt the official version will be much better. But this will be a must.

blastfurniss likes this.
  21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Too bad the Much Music Canada clips are off limits, I think they did a concert special around this time plus the Kumbaya telethon(without the scrolling phone numbers/donors). Maybe a Canada Day Vancouver 1992 festival headline set as well. CBC clips or Euro festivals pro-shots?

Footage still exists, but apparently just sits in a locked vault and anyone who can find anything was fired in 2009 or so. Other documentaries used MM stuff, but it's either acquired pre-2009 or VHS fan sourced.

22. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I am very much on the fence for this. Jpc.de have the vinyl box for €189,99. But since I already have the album itself on vinyl (the MOV which sounds fine), Saskadelphia on vinyl, it would just be 190 euros for a book, the live album, the outtakes (which probably won’t get much play) and the bluray. That one surprises me most. Why not a bluray with all the stuff on it? Road Apples is a very basic rock album, in terms of arrangement, just vox, drums, bass and two guitars. I don’t really see the benefit of a surround mix there.
    The binauaral thing sounds interesting, but if it’s mastered too loud it won’t be any fun with headphones.
    Maybe I’ll preorder later tonight, after a few more glasses of wine...

23. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

if you are in canada, order from their canadian site. $5 shipping.

Vinyl

if you are in the UK looks like the sound of vinyl has it as well.

noname74 likes this.
  24. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

The Hip employees were fired or the MuchMusic folks? Jake Gold came back last year as manager of The Hip so perhaps between him and the band's resident archivist Johnny Fay they know where the footage is at and can parse thru it. Would be a shame if it were lost for eternity.

25. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

It's certainly up there. Fully, Completely is my personal favorite but I'll admit to Road Apples being their most important album. It's where The Tragically Hip became "The Hip" and was the first of an incredible run of great records culminating with Phantom Power. Thought they had some great songs from Music @ Work to Man Machine Poem but that the albums didn't measure up to that five record run in the 90's.

DonnyMe, Sean, Power Windows and 2 others like this.