Tragically Hip- Road Apples Box Set (2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dance_hall_keeper, May 20, 2021.

1. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

I'm excited by this release and will buy it. But...............

As much as I'm happy to have "new" Hip music, I have some concerns about how The Hip & the Gord Downie estate are handling business. Since last October we've had the Gord Downie "Away is Mine" solo record. Then this year we get the Saskadelphia EP, a deluxe reissue of Gord's solo album Coke Machine Glow and now the Road Apples deluxe reissue. That's four Hip/Gord releases in a 12 month period. As delighted as I am to have them, I wish they had been spread out a little more particularly now Saskadelphia. Those tunes could have been included on the Hoof Hearted disc and then eventually released separately. I've bought lots of stuff twice but generally not this darn quickly.

2. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Yes, specially the Saskadelphia EP. They probably were working on this road apples box set when that came out. Why do that? The words ‘cash’ and ‘grab’ come to mind. They know they have a rabid fan base that will buy anything. All the people that will buy this box set will already have that EP by now.

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Much employees. Footage exists won't get junked, including unbroadcast stuff, but nobody has access to masters.

For instance, some of the best Oasis-Noel 90's interview clips were Canada and recent documentaries had virtually nothing. The band's team were even asking some known VHS tape traders for stuff.

Sean, Power Windows and blastfurniss like this.
  4. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Was the Saskadelphia vinyl pressing done better than the HiRes release? If the vinyl release has better dynamics I may purchase the Vinyl Boxset but will still hold off for reviews. I'm interested to see if the mastering is different on the Blu Ray disc included for the digital side of things.

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Thanks for the link. I sold my Saskadelphia CD today in anticipation of this set.

6. Power Windows

Power Windows Forum Resident

For me Day For Night is their best. Road Apples is 4th best for me but it is still great.

7. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Wow, $235 Cdn seems like a very high price! A little crazy. All of the Hip records just shot up in price in Canada too.
    And they're trying to sell me the same record they just sold me 3 months ago!

Power Windows likes this.
  8. Impedance36

Impedance36 Forum Resident

$235 is steep; the recent Metallica box set a bar that is unreal but the Sabbath box sets are a bit more comparable to this one I figure. Considering how much prices are going up for everything, it's clear that labels know we would rather pay whatever now than deal with an awful and expensive after-market hit. If this is the start of a series of boxes, then this is the one I would hate to miss. That being said, I'll probably need to sell one of my CBC radio promo copies to get this.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  9. Rockin' Robby

Has anybody found it for cheaper in Canada than the $235 shipped on the Hip site? Seems to be no amazon.ca listing.

10. noname74

11. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Wake me up when I can buy the Roxy gig as a stand-alone CD.

JoshD likes this.
  12. Rockin' Robby

13. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

Musicvaultz has it it for about $135 and an additional 15% discount with code. However, I have given up on Muscivaultz as they can never deliver on time.

14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Fully Completely is by far my favourite from these guys. Not a clunker on it. Day For Night comes in at a respectable second. But I might be parting my $$$$ for this release tho. For me, The Hip could do no wrong in the 1990s but after 1998's Phantom Power, I was less interested in these guys.
    I did get to see 'em in 2001 do a shortened set as part of a charity show with a slew of other Canadian artists in Toronto at the Air Canada Centre.

15. Rockin' Robby

No they don't, that's the CD version. Likely poorly mastered if Saskadelphia was any indication.

16. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Jake Gold handles both now (had been The Hip's manager, they parted ways but he still handled GD's solo career, then brought back to manage The Hip after Gord's death). Gold's main job seems to be monetize the assets for the remaining and members and families. I think they passed up a lot of opportunities when they were an operating band (commercials, sponsorship, etc.), so can't begrudge them now for trying to ensure a strong financial future for themselves and family considering their main mode of income (albums and touring) are gone. That said, Gold's moves sometimes make me cringe. The double packaging of Saskadelphia, the GD jean jacket, etc.

blastfurniss likes this.
  17. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

The Gord jean jacket pairs nicely with the limited edition Gord hat from Lilliput Hats. Plus you can sip Hip wine in your Hip Adirondack chair while rolling a joint with your Hip papers. While it's quite KISS like, I'm good with it because as you mentioned, traditional revenue streams have dried up and people can spend their money however they want. I figure Gold is only doing what the band has hired him to do. Still, the Saskadelphia release went from being a feel good moment to feeling like a crass money grab. Hopefully they learn from that and do better with future archival releases or reissues. I may be in the minority on this but if they want to play the odd show, especially for a charity like Downie Wenjack, then I say they should have at it. The performance with Feist at the Junos was a nice taste of what they could do.

18. $152 at this very moment...

19. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

that is the cd version. he is looking for the vinyl box set cheaper than 235.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  20. I'm aware it's the CD version. OP post said, "Still no vinyl and nothing cheaper than...".

21. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

yes but the cd was never 235. that is the vinyl price on thehip.com store. anyways, maybe amazon will get the vinyl since they have the cd but musicvaultz is a bit cheaper when you use their code 'ROADAPPLES' for an additional 15% off bringing the price to $218 with free shipping.

The Road Apples 30th Anniversary Edition 5LP Box Set

Rockin' Robby and violetvinyl like this.
  22. noname74

Musicvaultz has been very spotty since Covid..there are numerous threads about them having the cheapest price but not delivering anywhere close to the release date.

23. Poolshark

Poolshark Forum Resident

$152 for the CD version???????? Come on I love them but seriously? Metallica 3 cd set I bought was $29 on amazon. Great material...I want to support them but WOW

24. Rockin' Robby

Yep it's pretty out of hand.

25. Rockin' Robby

Tried to enter "ROADAPPLES" but it told me:

The items in your basket can't be discounted by voucher ROADAPPLES. Please check the conditions of the voucher offer.