Transatlantic 'The Final Flight: Live at L'Olympia' - 17 February 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Dec 2, 2022.

1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Well, it is a given that Neal doesn't have the big bucks to produce something like the big mainstream artists can, but considering the type of music they play, all we need are the shots of the band playing and shots of excitement out of the crowd and the band. Transatlantic (or Neal Morse Band) isn't Pink Floyd where the super awesome stage show has to be seen. Most of the stuff on the screens at TA and NMB is okay, but pretty forgettable, and not worth ruining your concert videos on a regular basis for them, IMO. And the sad thing is, there seems to be quite a few people expressing the same sentiment around the release date of every concert video, so either Neal doesn't care or he is oblivious and no one bothers to tell him that he loses sales because of it. I am guessing it is the latter.

walrus and Cledwyn like this.
  2. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  3. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

A final clip to tide us over until release date:

:)

ponkine and Rufus rag like this.
  4. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Never need to see a review for this band. Fortune enough to experience the first two shows of the tour before they went into high gear.

Fred1 and Cledwyn like this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

Yep, most reviews for Transatlantic seems to be written by gushing fanboys who feel the need to genuflect, no pun intended, to nearly everything the band does, including going so far as to refer to Ted Leonard as the "fifth Beatles" (yeesh, maybe tone down the hyperbole?). To me, the only real reason to read reviews of anything concert releases these days of Neal Morse or Transatlantic is to see if those blasted overlay effects are still being used (they are, which means no buy for me).

7. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

Watched the concert last night and enjoyed it greatly.

Whilst doing so, a couple of things struck me about The Absolute Universe:

1. Pete sings the first lead part in in each 'half' and overall more lead parts than usual.

2. Neal sings noticeably fewer lead parts (proportionately) than on the previous albums.

I felt a little sad at the end watching them take their final bow. However, I'd much rather they quit while they're ahead than 'outstay their welcome'.

:)

8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Getting ready to crack this open now. I am very excited.

mark winstanley and Cledwyn like this.
  9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Honestly I can’t remember the last time I saw a negative review of anything in the prog world. No one wants to offend anyone.

Finch Platte and LivingForever like this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

I think the problem is, reviewers don't want to lose access. I won't mention names, but there are some big names in the prog scene who get upset over any criticism, and I am sure reviewers know that criticizing their albums would eliminate the chance of future interviews and/or pre-release copies for review, so they play the game and always write positive reviews.

And I still find it hilarious that a guy who writes reviews for one of the big prog sites is literally associated with Radiant Records (Neal Morse's online site). I believe most would call that a conflict of interest.

ytserush, LivingForever and walrus like this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

oh, that is absolutely the problem, and it’s not just a prog problem.

ytserush likes this.
  12. George Co-Stanza

I believe it. In this day and age of every internet personality wanting to be a review star, you have to be nice and give positive reviews to the big dogs in your genre of choice (for reviews), otherwise they will find 30 other people who will be more than willing to gush.

13. It's a matter of reading between the lines. Prog magazine reviews the same releases that are featured in their ads. No way are they going to outright criticize the hands that feed them. Because so many of their reviews are completely positive, if I read any negative statements at all, I assume that it's code that the album sucks. All they can do is sneak it in there.

ytserush and George Co-Stanza like this.
  14. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

In some countries, if you say a bad word about somebody, you might lose your head.

ytserush likes this.
  15. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

I hope you really enjoyed it!

I watched 'The Final Medley' again last night. Surprisingly, it was even more enjoyable second time around and was an excellent way to bow out.

It is noticeable that Neal's voice isn't as strong as it was maybe 10 years ago. However, he's still a very good singer and even though Mike and Pete aren't the best vocally, I love how the vocals are shared around between the four of them. Plus, Ted certainly helps beef up the live backing vocals. I can understand them not committing to anything further, as I'd be surprised if they'd be able to maintain this level of performance in, say, five years from now.

Whatever, I'm very much looking forward to listening to CD 1 this afternoon. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  16. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I contemplated going to see this final tour but I figured nothing could beat standing in the front row at the London gig on the “Bridge Across Forever” tour, or at the show they filmed for the Whirlwind tour DVD, so I gave it a miss.

But I’ll definitely listen to this new live album!

mark winstanley and Cledwyn like this.
  17. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

I doubt anything could beat standing in the front row of those gigs! The new live album (and the Kaliveoscope one) are nevertheless both very enjoyable.

18. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

19. George Co-Stanza

Once the Morsefest set from last year comes out, the difference between night 1 and night 2 will be glaring. Neal sounded good on the second night, but the first night was the best I've heard his voice sound at a live show in a long time. Neal, in his monthly newsletter, even said he was thrilled with how good a shape his voice was in that first night. It was in prime form for The Whirlwind!!

ytserush and Cledwyn like this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I was really annoyed.
    I have been patiently waiting for this since I ordered it... and I had to leave work early on Friday, and it was delivered later on... So I won't pick it up until tomorrow, and so I won't get a chance to watch it until next weekend... oh well ... I'll survive

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Or perhaps you do .

There were two live release from the Whirlwind tour. Gee, I wonder why they released a second to soon after the first. More sounded really quite good, Whirld not so much. If it sounds good to you, I’m thrilled. My audio system is far better than most and not particularly friendly to mediocre recordings.

Anyhow, any credible reports of SQ on this new one?

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

As for people's reviews? ... I haven't paid any attention to reviews since I was a pup

Rufus rag and Cledwyn like this.
  23. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

still waiting for Neal to get his shipment in and then ship it out to those that ordered from Radiant.....very annoyed.
    this is 3 pre orders in a row now that this has happened. release date shows up and then we get an email from Neal stating
    he hasn't gotten it yet and doesn't know when, but "hopefully soon".....

not professional at all how his label runs things.

so, if i'm lucky, i'll have it in a month...

24. George Co-Stanza

Radiant's poor customer service is always dismissed by his hardcore fans as "it's a small operation, so you just have to be patient," but it's simple a poorly run operation. I get that keeping the staff super low is probably the only way it is profitable for him, but his fans, most of whom are of the "shut up and take money" variety, deserve better. I stopped ordering from Radiant a long time ago (unless it's something I desperately want and it is the only place available to get it), and I know I am not alone.

The funniest part is Neal always gives the lady who runs it and her husband (they are his in-laws as well) mad props every Moresfest at the end when doing the roll call of who did what, and the crowd always gives them this loud ovation, like they do such a great job. That is one moment I always just stay silent and do not applause.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  25. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

yeah, this time i only ordered from Radiant because of getting a signed backstage pass from that last tour for being one of the first 200 to order from there, otherwise
    i am done with Radiant for sure. the other 2 times were the same story as this one and i am sick of it.