Transatlantic 'The Final Flight: Live at L'Olympia' - 17 February 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

Sadly true. I've seen it first hand. Artists on social media who won't share or say a word about a review that isn't 100% glowing (even if it is generally positive). Labels who see a weak review and start making you chase them down rather than automatically sending out advance promo copies. I understand their position, they are trying to stay afloat during a modern era of low sales. But it does smack of dishonesty to see everything an artist produces treated like some of the greatest music in history. There are two sites in particular (the ones that you always see quoted) who are essentially promo for the Morse/Portnoy umbrella and the InsideOut bands among others. They aren't honest reviews at all (unless you agree that almost every album that comes out is in the 9/10 ballpark). I certainly don't think that, even about some of my favourite artists. And I've passed on reviewing plenty of them over the last few years, after hearing albums I felt were poor or disappointing, because I have no desire to slag a group of musicians. But I also don't want to slather them with endless effusive praise and trick people into buying albums that are going to collect dust on the shelf. Most of my reviews tend to be pretty good, but I will always call out something I consider a flaw, and I think most level-headed musicians (and readers) will consider that fair.

I think the trick - if you're someone who still likes to learn a bit about a release in advance - is to bookmark or subscribe to the more honest sites out there (hint: look for the fewest ads and the ones that don't have massive, flashing DONATE buttons on page 1), and ignore the ones who are basically an extension of the labels, because all those reviews are ever going to be are '(Band) hits it out of the park again! Incredible, stunning, etc.'

kevywevy and George Co-Stanza like this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Well said.

Once you find a reviewer or two who seems trustworthy to make a good and honest review, I can see following theirs in the future, although personal preferences and biases will always come into play, but that is human nature and to be expected.

If you had asked me today to do a review for every studio album Morse/Portnoy have done, a lot of them would be 9/10 or better for me, but certainly not all of them.

Yes:
    The first three Transatlantic albums
    From Neal's solo career: One, ? and Testimony 2
    The first Flying Colors album
    From Neal Morse Band: The Grand Experiment and The Similitude of a Dream

Everything else would be lower than 9 out of 10, but many would be in the 8 or 8.5 range. The only average studio albums would be Lifeline and Momentum, and even those have some great moments.

Cledwyn and Progatron like this.
  3. Progatron

YES – THE QUEST (InsideOut / Sony) – VELVET THUNDER

Sometimes (read: often), the ones being offended are the torchbearing fans who bristle at any amount of criticism of their beloved. I once shared a review that I spent a lot of time on (both in listening to and writing about the music) and the one paragraph that was negative sent people into such a rage, I actually had to block a couple of them. So there are people out there who have no connection to the bands who also don't want to hear or read anything negative. Just to offer a perspective that might not be realized by many.

zipzapzopzoup likes this.
  4. Progatron

Absolutely. I credit most readers with having enough sense to discern fact from opinion, but of course it does make it easier to do that when the author understands the focus should be on the music, not his or her own tastes.

As for the number ratings, fortunately we don't use those (I hate giving art a 'score'). But if we did, I can assure anyone that our front page would look a lot different from the one I just looked at (one of the sites mentioned upthread), where it's just endless excellent scores. 'Everyone gets a trophy!'

5. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I never bought the 'More' release so cant comment. Regarding 'The Whirlwind' release I'm speaking from a 5:1 perspective because that how I only listen to live concerts otherwise I dont buy them. It is sublime in 5:1.

6. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Subjective, 'Lifeline' is as good as anything he released solo IMO

7. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I never order from Radiant due to similar experiences! Shame really as I do want to support the artists financially but I would never go back to the same shop if I get poor consumer service !

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  8. mountainmaster

mountainmaster Forum Resident

His label? Inside Out Music is a German label. And these days it is part of Sony Music. Maybe you were assuming that the artists themselves receive the first batch but I don't think that is the way big labels like Sony work.

9. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Those that ordered from Roine's & Marillion's sites got prompt delivery though, even signed so the artist must get first batch !

ytserush likes this.
  10. mountainmaster

mountainmaster Forum Resident

Maybe because they are closer to Germany? In the Netherlands I received my shipment on release date as well and I did not even order from the artists themselves.

Rufus rag likes this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I don't know if i ever made it through Testimony 2: Electric Boogaloo in full, but that also may have been just because of how much I hated the first one. (And maybe feeling a bit Neal'd out at times). I think the NMB studio albums are a bit better than most of the stuff that came before, even if it's still Neal's show, having a bit more input from others really helps.

12. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

I picked up my copy in Helsinki yesterday, and had a great time last 3 hours watching the show.
    My only complaint is that they should have left the animation on the back screen only, as it was in the live show. I don't need animation for my music.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  13. George Co-Stanza

I liked the original Testimony, but didn't love it, as it too long due to Neal having too many reprises (more than normal) due to needing to finish his story, and that is not one of his better mixes of the 21st century (the mix is too dry and flat), so I wasn't really looking forward to T2, but the sequel was pretty different and pretty awesome. The nods to the first are pretty superficial, and the flow and pace of the first disc are both immaculate. I love it to death.

14. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

The "More is..." release is 2 different shows (the CDs are one and the DVD is another) from the same European tour that produced the first Whirlwind live release. The main difference is that the first one was mixed by Stolt and was somewhat compressed. The drums were really squished. The second release was mixed by the band's sound man and it was a better mix IMO.

15. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Interesting as I'm a big fan of Roine's remixes. To this day I still prefer his mix of SMPte

16. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I hope that is released someday. I only have a low rez of that mix and while I still like the final released mix better, the Roine mix is very interesting.

Rufus rag likes this.
  17. Progatron

I think the best moments on both albums would make one very strong single album. Somber Days is achingly beautiful IMO, and I love Mercy Street, It's For You, and The Truth Will Set You Free. I'm a bit burned out on all the overtures, grand themes, and syrupy finales, but when he nails a song, he really nails it. He's supremely talented and a naturally gifted songwriter.

The main issue for me is the repeat factor of his lyrical content. Yes, Neal, we know. You were a mess in California and now you're saved, and love made a way/world without end/love that never dies/alive again and that's all very nice and good. But you can sing about other topics too. Just saying... it wouldn't hurt.

18. walrus

It was more that the lyrics were...unignorably awful. And then it ran 2+ hours with, as you said, way too many reprises and reused parts.

ytserush likes this.
  19. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

well, I decided to buy the new set regardless lol. I think I only bought the CD versions in the past.

Rufus rag likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm liking what I hear...

ytserush and Rufus rag like this.
  21. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

Re. reviews, I don't mind whether they're extremely positive, very negative or anywhere in between so long they they tell me something interesting and/or insightful about the music and/or blu ray/DVD in question. (Long ago I complained to our university student newspaper about a Paul McCartney album review that was basically just a lengthy diatribe based that didn't actually refer to any of the songs, or in fact, the album in question!)

I enjoy reading comments that disagree with my own views - whether it be album reviews, comments on this forum or in newspapers - as they do make me think more, rather than simply reinforcing my existing thoughts.

FWIW, I love this Blu ray / CD package (despite the unnecessary and pointless graphics) and also very much enjoy Lifeline. :)

ytserush and Rufus rag like this.
  22. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Is there any Life on Tour documentary again on BR?

23. George Co-Stanza

I think this is why Neal is at his best when doing concept albums where he picks a specific story to write about, rather than writing a concept album about his own personal journey or an album full of unrelated songs where his knee jerk reactions is often to write about the same universal topic of God and Jesus (with 299 references to light and water). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of his stuff, but I agree that the spiritual stuff can be a bit much at times. That is my beef with Lifeline; that album was him getting a bit heavy-handed with the spiritual stuff rather than being more general most of the time. I also don't think the songwriting on that album is strong, although So Many Roads is pretty great, despite the middle section being a bit too padded.

ytserush and Cledwyn like this.
  24. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

I’ve been at this gig, almost at the front row. This gig ranks amongst the best of the many many gigs I’ve seen. The band was on fire, the audience was on fire, the venue did its magic, emotions were high and the band played virtually flawless. There was so much joy in the air!

I’ve just received the 3CD/Blu-Ray and the 4LP set. I’m not expecting to relive the whole thing again, but surely some of the magic should have rubbed off on this? I’ll report back to let you all know what I think of it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    Rufus rag, ytserush and Cledwyn like this.
  25. walrus

And...just like that, I got the Morsefest email. Finally back in Neal's home state where I could easily attend, but...I'll be passing on this one. :laugh:

George Co-Stanza likes this.