Transatlantic's 5th album forthcoming (2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Co-Stanza, Sep 25, 2019.

1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident Thread Starter

Duel with the Devil does feel like it goes on a tad too long, but it's such an awesome song that I can forgive that one. :cool:

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  2. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I love The Whirlwind but if they completely cut out the Dancing with Eternal Glory part I think the song would be stronger. I’m sort of done with those stock Neal Morse endings. And those lyrics! Ugh.

The fact that I can even endure that ending at all gives you some kind of indication of how strong I find the rest of the piece.

The intro? Hmmm...I can see your critique but I can live with it. It is a little formulaic, though, you’re right.

Anyway, I’m sort of interested in TA5 but Kaleidoscope kind of killed the vibe. I’ll wait on the reviews.

LivingForever likes this.
  3. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Heresy! It should continue forever until the end of time!

(That’s my favorite TA epic.)

:D

LivingForever and ytserush like this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

Neal usually does those "stock" endings so well that I am almost always good with them.

What's crazy is that if I had to list my 10 favorite 20-minute rock songs ever, Transatlantic would have three in there. Duel with the Devil would be the lowest of the three (behind All of the Above and Stranger in Your Soul), but it would still make it. It is that awesome.

Full disclosure: the other seven would be 2112 (Rush), The Gates of Delirium (Yes), A Change of Seasons (Dream Theater), Raider II (Steven Wilson), Visions (Haken) and Supper's Ready (Genesis). Alive Again (Neal Morse) and Stardust We Are (Flower Kings) just miss the cut.

LivingForever and Rufus rag like this.
  5. Old Sport

Old Sport Forum Resident

So glad to see all the discussion on Transatlantic, Flying Colors and Neal Morse in a separate discussion. I must be a true fan, though I don’t classify myself as one who memorizes lyrics or buys everything that an artist puts out. Out of all the Neal/Mike combinations, I probably have the greatest affinity for Flying Colors. That said I have large collection of Transatlantic, The Flower Kings, Neal Morse solo and The Neal Morse Band.

And I realise I included TFK as if it was a Neal/Mike combo, but it’s a close connection that I only discovered through TA.

Why I say I’m more an FC fan is that I try and get friends and family to buy-in. I want them to succeed more than what they do currently. To me they are powerful enough to attract the proggers and hard rockers, yet melodic enough to get the middle of the road crowd. I reckon some of the millions of fans who follow Kansas on Spotify could give FC some love. They’re not too dissimilar.

Not that Spotify is the accurate measure, but it is an indication. Transatlantic currently has just over 6,000 followers monthly. I was surprised that this was so low. Whereas FC has just over 55,000. My biggest surprise is that Kansas has 6.5 million monthly followers. Don’t get me wrong. I have just raved about their latest album and am a big fan. But I still am surprised that an amazing prog group like TA has such a low Spotify following. Hopefully the answer is that the TA fans have high audio standards and don’t stream from Spotify.

George Co-Stanza and Rufus rag like this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

I suspect a lot of Neal Morse fans get their streaming fix through his Waterfall app and don't have Spotify. I don't have either because I still have a massive CD and high quality mp3 collection to where I don't need either (and I would never get Spotify anyway). Not saying this explains the disparity, just that it could explain why the numbers aren't a little higher. Plus, the fanbase of Neal and TA seems a little older, meaning their approach to listening is more old school (CD's and vinyl, not streaming).

I agree that Flying Colors should be accessible enough to draw more fans. Their first album, still the best of the three IMO, was lousy with catchy songs, yet IIRC Shoulda Coulda Woulda, the one bland song on the record and one that sounded like a poor man's Muse cover, was pushed early on (not sure if it was a single, but it was promoted as such, I think), and it's hard to draw fans right away with a song that bland is maybe the first and only song they hear. The Storm and Kayla should have had videos and been promoted heavily. I wonder, too, if Casey's voice is a bit too unconventional to attract new fans.

Stormrider77, Old Sport and Rufus rag like this.
  7. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

According to Mike's tweet, a big announcement about TA5 is coming soon!! Can't wait:pineapple:

8. alakulju

Let's try to guess what is ''extremely unique and unprecedented"!
    That's quite big words to hype up the release, so we have the right to expect something big, for example:
    - symphony orchestra? No, that's far from unique!
    - solo section for every band member? No, also done many times!
    - a concept album of 2 discs, 80 mins each, sort of like Topographic Oceans updated?
    - what else?

9. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

All the songs will be 3 minutes long! ;)

Now that WOULD be unprecedented.

10. George Co-Stanza

My prediction is that the album is released as one long song in a single track, rather than being indexed as multiple tracks. Not sure any rock band has ever released a studio album with one track in the 70-minute range or so, but that would certainly be unique either way.

I hope that is not the case.

Rufus rag likes this.
  11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Just glad they're spending so much time on it.

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

They have low followers on Spotify because none of their music is on there. I imagine their numbers would be greater than FC or Neal solo...TA has always seemed to me to be the most popular of his post-Spock's projects, and it's not hard to see why.

I get Neal is trying to push his own streaming app, but I just don't listen to him exclusively enough to justify a separate app. This week alone I've bounced from Tom Petty to the Ramones to Miles to Steven Wilson and usually it's even weirder than that. I'm sure TA's numbers would be bigger if they actually had a presence. (Partly I ended up using Apple Music years back because it had the Morse-era Beard albums and other services didn't...still not sure why that discrepancy is, but I ain't mad about it)

13. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

The problem is that all the old Spock's Beard and Transatlantic albums, as well as most of Morse's prog solo material, was released in the U.S. through Radiant, with physical distribution by Metal Blade. Radiant hasn't really participated in digital distribution outside of its own platforms and Apple, and it didn't engage Metal Blade to do it for them, for whatever reason, so most of Morse's classic material is nowhere to be found on many channels.

Thankfully, he's now signed to InsideOut worldwide, and his stuff is finally getting released across numerous platforms.

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I always assumed it was by choice. Like, to have stuff available on iTunes meant it also had to be available on Apple Music (unless you're an A-list band like Metallica or AC/DC with the clout to negotiate a special arrangement), but since Spotify doesn't have a download/store component, he didn't have to work with them. But I'm just speculating.

(Another point in favor of Apple Music is the easy ability to add missing songs to your streaming library from files. But the OG Beard catalong being on there was definitely a factor in 2016 when I started using it)

15. alakulju

Mike has tweeted a 30-second animated clip with new Transatlantic music, with text February 5, 2021.
    That's all! I wouldn't call it a big announcemento_O
    We all need some light NOW!

16. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Just glad that it's fully confirmed and we have a release date to look forward to.
    That's good enough for me!
    Can't wait !

17. George Co-Stanza

Yeah, that news and clip was nice to get today. Should be interesting to see what this 5th album is like. Hoping for something a little different this time.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  18. alakulju

I like how the spaceship looks very old-school!
    It even reminds me of Led Zep...:D

ytserush likes this.
  19. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Reminded me of Clockwork Angels.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  20. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

The Absolute Universe
    , February 5. There are two different versions.

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

[​IMG]

TRANSATLANTIC - the Prog Supergroup of Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Roine Stolt & Pete Trewavas – are pleased to announce their fifth studio album ‘The Absolute Universe’, set for release on February 5th, 2021. Representing the band’s first new music since 2014’s ‘Kaleidoscope’, with ‘The Absolute Universe’ the band have done something unique and created two versions of the record: ‘The Absolute Universe: The Breath Of Life (Abridged Version)’ & ‘The Absolute Universe: Forevermore (Extended Version)’.

As Mike Portnoy explains: “We've got two versions of this album. There is a two CD presentation, which is 90 minutes long, and a single one - that's 60 minutes. However, the single CD is NOT merely an edited version of the double CD. They each contain alternate versions and even in some cases, new recordings. We wrote fresh lyrics and have different people singing on the single CD version tracks as compared to those on the double CD. Some of the song titles have also been changed, while others might remain the same, but compositionally what you'll hear has been altered. You must appreciate that what we have done is unique. We revamped the songs to make the two versions different.” Pete Trewavas adds: “We did write some new music for the single CD,” adds Trewavas. “What's more, there are also differences in the instruments used on some of the tracks across the two records.”

Each album will be available on CD, LP & Digitally. But there will also be what has been called ‘The Absolute Universe: The Ultimate Edition’, which collects both versions together in one lavish package that includes 5LP’s, 3CD’s & a Blu-ray that contains a 5.1 surround sound mix with visuals & a behind the scenes documentary. All editions have unique artwork created by Thomas Ewerhard.

The full list of formats is below, and pre-orders start on the 20th November:
    ‘The Absolute Universe: The Breath Of Life (Abridged Version)’
    Special Edition CD Digipak, Gatefold 2LP+CD, Digital Album

‘The Absolute Universe: Forevermore (Extended Version)’
    Special Edition 2CD Digipak, 3LP+2CD Boxset, Digital Album

‘The Absolute Universe: The Ultimate Edition’
    Limited Deluxe Clear 5LP+3CD+Blu-Ray Box-set – contained within a foil-finished lift-off box with extended 16-page LP booklet & 60x60cm poster

Initial tracking began in September 2019 when the band met up in Sweden to write and arrange the new material. As Portnoy explains: “Over a period of 10-14 days, we mapped out the songs. Then we all went back to our home studios and did the recording. That's the way we always do it. At one point, though, it was suggested that instead of doing what was by that time going to be a double album, we should just be content to do a single CD.”

“What happened was that everything kept expanding and expanding,” recalls Stolt. “Therefore we decided it made sense to make it a double album. It was Pete and Neal who then came out and said they felt this would be too long, and we should reduce it to one…But we were already recording, and it didn't seem feasible to cut it back. There were so many pieces that each of us loved in what we were planning and didn't want to lose. That's when we ended up in discussions over the best way forward.”

This album also marks a return to the concept album for Transatlantic. “Well, the idea of Transatlantic deciding to do a concept record this time around won't shock anyone, right?” laughs Portnoy. “What we have is essentially one giant composition, split into chapters. The storyline is about the struggles facing everyone in society today.” “We didn't start out with the idea of this being conceptual,” admits Stolt. “The way things work with us is that we have a load of ideas, and these are developed spontaneously when we meet up. Everything happens in the moment.”

So, how does this new ground-breaking album compare to Transatlantic's previous four albums?

“I always try not to compare albums as much as possible,” insists Morse. “It’s very difficult when you’re trying to be creative, because your natural instinct is to constantly compare. But in order to create you have to kind of step away from that. Having said that, I would say this would have more in common with 'The Whirlwind' album (the band's third, from 2009) than others that we’ve created.”

For Trewavas, 'The Absolute Universe' is a momentous project.
    “I think it is right up there with the very finest albums we've done. As the others have said, it compares very well to 'The Whirlwind', which I believe represents Transatlantic at our best. As on that album, we took our time to write and arrange everything, and that shines through. I am very excited for people to hear it.”

22. MechanicalAnimal6

yeah, and of course you have to buy both in order to hear everything....nothing like ripping off your fans.

Whatever happened to there just being THE ALBUM.....just one version.....no exclusive bonus tracks or having
    to buy multiple versions to get everything. God i hate it when artists do this crap to their fans.

And then to get absolutely all of the music, you have to buy it as a 5 LP, 3 CD and 1 Blu Ray set....so it'll be quite pricey too....
    how nice!

this just totally ruined my excitement for it.

PJayBe likes this.
  23. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

I love Transatlantic! I’ll probably pick up the abridged version once the pre-orders start.

24. MechanicalAnimal6

TRANSATLANTIC - the Prog Supergroup of Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Roine Stolt & Pete Trewavas – are pleased to announce their fifth studio album ‘The Absolute Universe’, set for release on the 5th February 2021. Representing the band’s first new music since 2014’s ‘Kaleidoscope’, with ‘The Absolute Universe’ the band have done something unique and created two versions of the record: ‘The Absolute Universe: The Breath Of Life (Abridged Version)’ & ‘The Absolute Universe: Forevermore (Extended Version)’.

As Mike Portnoy explains: “We've got two versions of this album. There is a two CD presentation, which is 90 minutes long, and a single one - that's 60 minutes. However, the single CD is NOT merely an edited version of the double CD. They each contain alternate versions and even in some cases, new recordings. We wrote fresh lyrics and have different people singing on the single CD version tracks as compared to those on the double CD. Some of the song titles have also been changed, while others might remain the same, but compositionally what you'll hear has been altered. You must appreciate that what we have done is unique. We revamped the songs to make the two versions different.” Pete Trewavas adds: “We did write some new music for the single CD,” adds Trewavas. “What's more, there are also differences in the instruments used on some of the tracks across the two records.”

Each album will be available on CD, LP & Digitally. But there will also be what has been called ‘The Absolute Universe: The Ultimate Edition’, which collects both versions together in one lavish package that includes 5LP’s, 3CD’s & a Blu-ray that contains a 5.1 surround sound mix with visuals & a behind the scenes documentary. All editions have unique artwork created by Thomas Ewerhard. The full list of formats is below, and pre-orders start on November 20th:

The Absolute Universe: The Breath Of Life (Abridged Version)

Special Edition CD Digipak

Gatefold 2LP+CD

Digital Album

The Absolute Universe: Forevermore (Extended Version)

Special Edition 2CD Digipak

3LP+2CD Boxset

Digital Album

The Absolute Universe: The Ultimate Edition

Limited Deluxe Clear 5LP+3CD+Blu-Ray Box-set – contained within a foil-finished lift-off box with extended 16-page LP booklet & 60x60cm poster

Initial tracking began in September 2019 when the band met up in Sweden to write and arrange the new material. As Portnoy explains: “Over a period of 10-14 days, we mapped out the songs. Then we all went back to our home studios and did the recording. That's the way we always do it. At one point, though, it was suggested that instead of doing what was by that time going to be a double album, we should just be content to do a single CD.”

“What happened was that everything kept expanding and expanding,” recalls Stolt. “Therefore we decided it made sense to make it a double album. It was Pete and Neal who then came out and said they felt this would be too long, and we should reduce it to one…But we were already recording, and it didn't seem feasible to cut it back. There were so many pieces that each of us loved in what we were planning and didn't want to lose. That's when we ended up in discussions over the best way forward.”

This album also marks a return to the concept album for Transatlantic. “Well, the idea of Transatlantic deciding to do a concept record this time around won't shock anyone, right?” laughs Portnoy. “What we have is essentially one giant composition, split into chapters. The storyline is about the struggles facing everyone in society today.” “We didn't start out with the idea of this being conceptual,” admits Stolt. “The way things work with us is that we have a load of ideas, and these are developed spontaneously when we meet up. Everything happens in the moment.”

So, how does this new ground-breaking album compare to Transatlantic's previous four albums?

“I always try not to compare albums as much as possible,” insists Morse. “It’s very difficult when you’re trying to be creative, because your natural instinct is to constantly compare. But in order to create you have to kind of step away from that. Having said that, I would say this would have more in common with 'The Whirlwind' album (the band's third, from 2009) than others that we’ve created.” For Trewavas, 'The Absolute Universe' is a momentous project.

“I think it is right up there with the very finest albums we've done. As the others have said, it compares very well to 'The Whirlwind', which I believe represents Transatlantic at our best. As on that album, we took our time to write and arrange everything, and that shines through. I am very excited for people to hear it.”

Transatlantic were originally formed in 1999, releasing their debut album ‘SMTPe’ the following year as well as its follow-up ‘Bridge Across Forever’ in 2001. Following a 7-year hiatus, the band reconvened to record and release the much-acclaimed epic 77-minute, single-track album ‘The Whirlwind’ followed by a world tour in 2010 which included an appearance at High Voltage Festival in London where they were joined by legendary Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett. The band’s fourth album ‘Kaleidoscope’ arrived in 2014, going on to win ‘Album Of The Year’ at the Progressive Music Awards.

Pre-orders for The Absolute Universe begin at Radiant Records on November 20th. More details of limited colored vinyl and other Radiant exclusives to come.

25. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident