Transfer cassette to digital; use preamp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Popmarter, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

@jaddie you got it buddy...no more quotes.

rock4ev likes this.
  2. hacksaw99

hacksaw99 Well-Known Member

In some cases it's the nostalgia tied to the home-made cassette recording, regardless of the quality. As a famous beet farmer once said: “Nostalgia is truly one of the great human weaknesses. Second only to the neck.”
    A similar thing happened with old VHS recordings and wanting to preserve them, flaws and all.
    Sometimes you can replicate the old cassette by buying a new source (e.g. an entire digital album), but other times you can't. For example I have cassette recordings of concerts, or The King Biscuit Flower Hour, or that sort of thing, which I recorded from FM radio stations. There's probably no way to replicate or replace some of these besides my cassette sources. Which reminds me (thanks for this thread, Popmarter), I need to dust off my cassette collection and figure out which ones I need to digitize, and hope they are still playable without dropouts. I used a dbx224 noise reduction with most of my cassettes, which encodes onto the tape, and fortunately I still have the dbx224 and it still works.

rcsrich likes this.
  3. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

For the OP, you have good equipment and should get good results especially if transferring a good sounding cassette. I done many for over two decades and have made many CD's that sound great. I have always wanted to try one of the Tascam unit you have, tho I have stuck with Pioneer pdr's. I had tried a couple other units and didn't get good results, but then again I have never tried a Tascam or that 3000 model.
    I plan on picking one up, I have heard good transfers made on Tascam cd recorders.

Cheers and enjoy :righton:

rcsrich likes this.
  4. jaddie

jaddie Forum Resident

Sorry.
    I wish it were only hundreds.

5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Having just transferred a slew of cassettes to digital including pre-recorded and self-recorded, I've been consistently surprised how free of dropouts most of them are. I've been careful to store them in climate controlled locations, which I'm sure has helped. I'm also transferring using a better deck than most of them were recorded on... I have a few vinyl dubs that I lost the vinyl through the years and have really enjoyed hearing them again.

arisinwind likes this.
  6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

What is the cassette deck that you are using? Is it a standard RCA output? Don't you need an amp in between the cassette deck and the Tascam? I would think that the Tascam would need an input with some gain, otherwise a weak signal may produce a louder noise floor. But I am no expert.

edit: - I see you are using the Nakamichi - nice!

Also, please note to quite a few posters here - Please direct your answers to help the OP. He wants to transfer cassettes to digital, not for opinions about analog cassettes. Thanks!

7. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Noted regarding the off-topic comments. Regarding your question, assuming it's a standard cassette deck, it should provide line-level output which should be sufficient for the digital recorder as an input signal.

8. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I assume you watched the Techmoan video? He answers the question via an A/B test. TL;DW - a recording made on a good quality cassette deck with a good quality chrome tape compares very favorably to the source material, to the point that with casual listening you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I wouldn't call that "bottom of audio quality" as you put it.

MassHysteria likes this.
  9. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Make of deck does not matter.
    Most all have standard RCA
    No.
    From personal experience, standard cassette decks have sufficient output to feed the Tascam with little or no adjustment.
    Noted.

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

short path

11. hacksaw99

hacksaw99 Well-Known Member

I use a Tascam DVRA1000HD, which I think is the predecessor to your DA3000 (however I haven't digitized cassettes yet). Does your DA3000 have the same digital effects processing that the 1000HD has (3 band parametric equalizer and variable compander)? The effects can be applied to recordings. While I haven't tried it, these effects might be useful in some cases for digitizing cassette sources.
    I'm not sure about this but the attainable SNR from cassettes might be such that your choice of signal path #1 or #2 might not be discernable. In other words the SNR of either path is probably at least 10dB better than the native SNR of the cassette, so the cassette's SNR limitation dominates either path. If you do happen to try both #1 and #2 to compare them, please report back on your findings. I'll have a similar consideration in the future.

12. macster

macster Forum Resident

Setting the gain on certain/some Tascam devices can be problematic as they have fixed gain settings as this device does.

M~

stereoptic likes this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

It's interesting how a simple question of how to most effectively digitize a cassette transformed-into a debate over the quality of the cassette format.

14. macster

macster Forum Resident

I hear you, it's so sad.

M~

kyouki, stereoptic and TarnishedEars like this.
  15. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

No, it does not (have fixed gain)

16. macster

macster Forum Resident

It appears to only have three gain settings. http://blkmacster.com/images/Levels.jpg Though they may not be "fixed" in the truest sense of the word. That they are limited, no sane person can deny.

M~

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  17. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Do you have a Tascam DA3000 in front of you? I do.

It's not a question of what it APPEARS to do from reading the manual, I can see and feel what it actually DOES.

When I select Input Vol. the jog wheel allows selection, in increments, from -60 to +12

-60 to -48 is in 6dB increments
    -48 to -36 is in 4dB increments
    -36 to -24 is in 2db increments
    -24 to -18 is in 1dB increments
    -18 to +12 is in 0.5dB increments.

To all intents and purposes, it is, in the ranges which matter, continuously variable from -60 to +12. MUTE is one step below -60.

.... You have misread the statement in the manual. ....

It states "options are MUTE, -60 TO +12 where the TO is represented by that hyphen between -60 and +12

The manual says in print "MUTE, -60 - +12" which is, if I spell it out, is "MUTE, and -60 to +12"

If it were three separate options, it would read

"MUTE, -60, +12" - with a comma, not a hyphen.

CDV and stereoptic like this.
  18. macster

macster Forum Resident

Ok, you are right.

M~

formbypc likes this.
  19. harby

harby Forum Resident

More importantly, this Tascam has real consumer-level RCA inputs and real professional level XLR inputs and outputs. The levels are calibrated by standard, unlike many interfaces where you plug your converter cable into the XLR/MIC/DI/1/4" input and dial an arbitrary analog knob.

The setting you'd want for Input Vol. is 0.0dB. There, the cassette VU/peak meter's 0dB (which should be -10dBV output) records at -16dB digital, so you'd have plenty of digital headroom (to saturate a cassette tape to +16dB on the level meter is near impossible and would sound terrible). Playback will be the same voltage level as the cassette deck put out.

(PS other "reference level" or "maximum input" settings only apply to the XLR input).

[​IMG]

stereoptic and rcsrich like this.
  20. jaddie

jaddie Forum Resident

Excuse me, but we aren't permitted to discuss this here.

21. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Not allowed to compare equipment? Which rule is that? There are whole threads comparing CD and Vinyl. And reel to reel. And streaming. And lossless. Etcetera ad infinitum.

22. jaddie

jaddie Forum Resident

Here you go:

stereoptic likes this.
  23. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Cocteau Twins-Heaven or Las Vegas, 1990 was mixed to a cassette :D
    So by default it's the source of the compact disc and LP. :laugh:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @Popmarter I do all mine at 44, no sense in going any higher with the sample rate.

24. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Not allowed in this thread, in this case. Any such discussions would throw the entire thread off topic or into mayhem. So, if you want to compare analog to digital, or even another analog to analog format, then start your own thread.

That said, I agree with most of the others: Direct analog to analog, unless the separate preamp has an A/D converter that's somehow superior to that built inside the Tascam recorder.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    rcsrich likes this.
  25. Dan Loretangeli

Dan Loretangeli Forum Resident

My workflow exactly. CR-7A to the DA-3000. This method has worked well for the last 4-5 years, and I'm still not through all of my cassettes. (Focusing on DAT transfers right now, as I don't know how long my Sony DAT will last, and getting it repaired is becoming increasingly difficult.)

DanLore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.