Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3 - Underappreciated Gem?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ryan Lux, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member Thread Starter

Interesting. To me "She's My Baby" sounds a lot less 80s than "Handle With Care".

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

"Wilbury Twist" is best taken with the video playing. In that context, it's quite an enjoyable listen. Our heroes appear to be having a great time, and John Candy? What can you say.

While Vol I is a classic, Vol III as a whole is clearly a disappointment - to me at least.

duggan and helter like this.
  3. helter

helter Forum Resident

Yup

4. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Although featured prominently on a bunch of songs, Harrison didn't get a solo track like he did on the first album ("Heading For The Light"). The fact that each of the other three do, makes that fact stand out a bit.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

The high point for me is Gary Moore's guitar soloing on the opening track.

Well, that and Poor House.

vudicus likes this.
  6. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member Thread Starter

"Wilbury Twist" is fine when taken as a harmless, fun rock'n'roll tune. The saxes on the bridge are great and the intro is pretty heavy. The whole album rocks, even if the songwriting isn't as timeless as Vol. 1.

7. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

It's a very different album from Volume 1, for all the reasons mentioned already, but I find it infectiously fun from start to finish. Legends just having a ball and not taking themselves seriously. Great production, too. Genius? Far far from it...but it never pretends to be. I will agree that I was bummed there wasn't a "George" song on the album, especially with such a dearth of Harrison material at the time (and up until his passing), but his stamp is all over it. Personally, I love it!

8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

They're both great but I actually prefer vol 3.....

No Bull and Ryan Lux like this.
  9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

What's Jeff Lynne's solo track on Vol. 3?

10. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Exactly how I feel.

11. Ken

Ken Forum Resident

WV3is quite grand in my estimation. It's Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne & some "heavy friends" both having a good time (semi-rare for Dylan, no?) and paying tribute to their former comrade/faux brother at same time.
    Some of its criticisms on this thread makes me like it even more, while fully acknowledging it rests happily in the shadow of its predecessor.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I can't remember what guitar parts George has on Vol. 3. Does he play 12-string on "Inside Out"? Strange how I don't remember much about that album.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

imho - tremendously overrrated, quite possibly the single most overrrated album, and band, of all time.

considering the amount of talent it should have been so much more than it was.

again, this is only my humble opinion.

14. It's still a fun album, but nowhere near enough "George" factor in my book. More George would sell me on it, for sure.

Lewisboogie and J_D__ like this.
  15. Brian Dee

Brian Dee New Member

Hi Myke,
    Thanks for ordering with SoundStageDirect! The Traveling Wilburys Collection Box Set that you ordered from us is due in today. I will personally make sure that it leaves our building today for you. If for some reason this changes you will be contacted. Please don't hesitate to contact us if there if you have any questions or concerns.

Brian at SoundStageDirect
    Customer Service

16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

How bout George's slide on Poor House?

17. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I have to say that I prefer Vol 3 to Vol 1. Maybe it doesn't hit the same heights, but I think it's much more consistent.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  18. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Volume 3 really disappointed when I first got it (except for New Blue Moon).
    But it since has grown on me and I might like it as much as Vol 1. But and this is a big but...not enough George and sadly no Roy Orbison. I think the chemistry of the 5 of them is what made Vol 1 special.

19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Awesome track and awesome slide.

20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think doing "Cool Dry Place" as a followup to "Handle With Care" was the Wilburys' best joke. Wonder whose idea that was?

Lewisboogie, J_D__, bagofsoup and 2 others like this.
  21. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

On the Highpoints of V0l 3 like "Poor House", "Devil's Been Busy", and "Inside Out" the Traveling Wilburys as a band seem to really jell. These three tracks top anything on Vol 1 (except "Tweeter and The Monkey Man") to my ears. It's just that the low points on Vol 3 are much worse than anything on Vol 1. Tracks like "New Blue Moon", "The Wilbury Twist", and "Where Were You Last Night" fall a little flat IMO.

22. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Terrible album

23. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This.

Though GH fanboys will no doubt disagree, he was simply never cut out for a solo career. Despite the magnificence of ATMP (tied with JLPOB for finest Beatle solo album), the subsequent drop in quality through most of his subsequent output was undeniable. (I say all this with love & respect — but also as someone who actually experienced the twin horrors of the Dark Hoarse album & tour in 1974.)

I always felt the Traveling Wilburys were a perfect vehicle for GH, "putting his stamp" all over the place with great guitar & harmonies, as well as stepping up with one of his own tunes now & then. Would have loved to see the TW's concept continue indefinitely, perhaps with a rotating cast of honorary Wilburys, but of course it wasn't to be.

duggan, Ryan Lux and gja586 like this.
  24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks Brian ! Also, I wasn't sure if I wanted y'all to remove the records or not, being as it is a box, and split seams are less likely... ? A coworker of yours told me y'all would decide, being pros at packing ( which I do remember from a few years back ! )

25. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Will listen tonight after a long absent -after my non stop Hollywood bowl 'loop' thanks for the tip.
    Cheers

Ryan Lux likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.