Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3 - Underappreciated Gem?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ryan Lux, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: New Blue Moon

Lewisboogie likes this.
  2. Brian Dee

Brian Dee New Member

Thanks for your reply Myke. Yes, our shipping department will make that determination when your box set is shipped.

Brian at SoundStageDirect
    Customer Service

Myke likes this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That's hardly a Lynne solo track. The main part of the song sounds like Harrison/Lynne singing in unison, and then the bridge is sung by Dylan solo.

Marry a Carrot likes this.
  4. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I always look at Vol. 3 as a Frankenstein monster of parts to pull apart and place in chronological playlists for Dylan, Petty, Lynn, etc, although it's very Dylan heavy.

The lack of GH solo songs have been mentioned, but I'm more confused why Lynn didn't step up and take more leads in place of Orbison. He had proven on many ELO/solo albums that he's a huge Roy fan and is able to achieve a similar vocal effect, that while, obviously, can never match or top the great RO, could give it the balanced flavor of the Vol. 1.

longaway and IronWaffle like this.
  5. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I like 3 as much as 1! I think it's just as fun (not sure how people are missing the 'fun' in this album... I always thought there was even more silliness -in a good way- on this album than the first) and I guess I just plain disagree with people who have a negative view of it.

Sure, I miss Roy... but he was gone and I never expected him to be there. There is some absolutely great guitar playing from George on this album (and of course Gary Moore's contribution too). In fact, there are tunes on 3 that I turn to more often than 1.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

My recollection (from an interview with George at the time) is that Dylan was the primary songwriter of most of the material on Volume Three. Since he wrote it, he sang on the demos, and the original intent was to have the various members come in and replace some of his parts on the finished album to spread out the vocals. However, they found that they all really liked the vocal work Dylan had done on the demos and that made them reluctant to replace too many of his parts. Hence, with the exception of the few Petty songs, it became a de facto Dylan album with the other guys as backup.

IronWaffle and Koabac like this.
  7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I agree and disagree. He was never cut-out for a "rock-star" career. He was a fine solo artist, yet collaborators were helpful; not necessarily for what they participated in, yet the things they did participate in seemed to provide further inspiration for things they may have not ultimately contributed to.

(worded clumsily and all in my opinion)

Lewisboogie, No Bull and majorlance like this.
  8. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I prefer Vol 3 to Vol 1. It does sound less spontaneous and more like a "proper" group and so has a little less charm. However, overall the songs appeal more to me; New Blue Moon and You Took My Breath Away being my favourites. Plus, She's My Baby rocks. :)

No Bull likes this.
  9. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I see Vol. 3 as having more spread out vocals for the group with a heavy dose of Bob Dylan vocals.

Vol. 1 has only two song with prominent vocals from all five members (Handle With Care and Dirty World). End Of The Line comes close.

Vol. 3 has She's My Baby, Inside Out, The Devil's Been Busy, New Blue Moon and Wilbury Twist has all three on prominent vocals

Comparing the two albums together, Vol. 1 has more solo vocals with others taking the bridge than Vol. 3 which has all the members taking a vocal part in most songs.

10. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

For me, the problem is that it's just so...ordinary. After the greatness of Vol. 1, this album just really seems to embody the idea of "going through the motions". With all of the talent on board, this feels like it should have been exceptional...but sadly, it's simply average.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Haha, yeah Dylan was releasing a few "de facto" Dylan albums around that time.

12. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

*Looks around* People DON'T like Rattled?!? I think that's a great tune!

Ryan Lux, dalem5467 and bagofsoup like this.
  13. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

George should have sang "If You Belonged to Me" instead of Bob. He wrote most of it and sang it on VH1 ha. Too much Bob threw off the balance on the sequel, IMO. And it would have been cool if they'd have used an old Roy Orbison demo as the basis for a track (or covered an old Roy tune) in tribute. Instead of "7 Deadly Sins" imagine Bob, George and Jeff singing "Dream Baby"!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Vols 1 and 3 both due out as stand alone vinyl releases on Record Store Day (October 15th). New cd's to follow a week later.

15. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Why does Jim Keltner never get credit a s a Wilbury? He contributed to both the albums and appears in a number of the videos, especially the Vol. 3 videos. Why wasn't he nominated as the 5th Wilbury after Roy Orbison's death? I've never understood why his role as a Wilbury remained so anonymous. Perhaps he wanted it that way.

Lewisboogie and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm surprised people see such a huge distinction between Volumes 1 and 3. I never thought of Volume 1 as any great masterpiece. It's an enjoyable bit of lightweight fluff. The songs are hardly among the best any of those guys ever wrote, and the production is slick and sterile, but the guys are clearly having fun and it's a pleasant listen. Volume 3 is more of the same... it lacks the variety of the first record (due to the loss of Orbison and the disproportionate amount of Dylan vocals) and the songwriting is maybe slightly weaker overall, so to me the result is a slightly weaker album. Not a huge disappointment.

Lewisboogie and Jerryb like this.
  17. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

It's my favorite of the two albums, despite the tremendous loss of Roy. Hell yes I think it's underappreciated.

18. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

You mean Buster Sidebury???

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  19. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I love Vol. 3 ... A band I was in played "Poor House" as a cover. Great song.

20. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I think the Wilburys were always the singers, right? That rotation of vocals. Any drummers or guitar players were seen as "guests."

21. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

I've always like vol.3. Is it as good as vol.1? No but it does have The Devils Been Busy and that song is a classic.

c-eling and Ryan Lux like this.
  22. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Good point. I also remember that Keltner had his own 'new' Wilbury-style band in 1990 called 'Little Village' (with Nick Lowe, Ry Cooder, and John Hyatt). I guess he couldn't officially be part of two similar 'legend' bands at the same time.

beatleroadie and bagofsoup like this.
  23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I know Petty has played several tracks from the Wilbury live. Does Dylan ever play these songs?

24. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

I wouldn't say it's under-appreciated; it's OK but lacks much of the character, variety, and hooks of Vol 1.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

He played "Congratulations" in 1989-1990, but I think that's it.

No Bull likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.