Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3 - Underappreciated Gem?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ryan Lux, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Jeff, Tom and Bob need to get together and finish a George demo or two, (do any vintage Roy demos/outtakes exist?) knock off a couple newtracks, throw in an outtake or remix or two from Vol. 1/3 (remix of Handle with Care? for 30th anniversary in 2018?). Dhani could add some harmonies in place of his Dad on a new song.

2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

There was a Roy Orbison outtake on the 25th anniversary of Mystery Girl. The song was completed by his sons. And George does have a lot of demos and outtakes and interesting stuff that is being withheld from release for whatever reason.

3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

The first album was much better and more importantly for me more varied as to who did the singing. Volume 3 is too Dylan dominated. I prefer my Dylan singing in smaller doses. "Dirty World" and "Tweeter And The Monkey Man" from Volume 1 would rank among my 10 favorite Dylan songs. I also love "Handle With Care", "End Of The Line", and "Last Night". The only song on Volume 3 that elicits the same excitement from me is "Wilbury Twist".
    So to answer the question in the post:
    No, it is not "an under appreciated gem".

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Yeah...Dylan, Harrison, Orbison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty...what a bunch of clowns.

:righton:

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Picked this up about 20 some years ago, has some nice alternate/early takes

6. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

His drumming definitely stood out to me through both albums. Very consistent, very great.

7. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

For a long time I didn't like Vol. 3 and referred to Vol. 1 as the best thing Harrison touched since ATMP. Last month, I got Vol. 3, original vinyl pressing. I think Vol. 3 can stand with Vol. 1. Encourage everyone to give it another spin.

No Bull and GAW Jr. like this.
  8. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

No Roy, No Travelling Wilbury's

dalem5467 likes this.
  9. What's good on it is really good, what's not is well, what you described.

The first album, to me, was one of the best albums of the 80s. Puts a smile on face every time I play it, so does Earth, Wind & Fire.

superstar19 and c-eling like this.
  10. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Yes, #3 is very underrated... still prefer #1, but they are both really super.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.