Trespass by Genesis is their best album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Somerset Scholar, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

No, not at all - Trespass is a wonderful album, a gem!

Sear likes this.
  2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Anyway my favourites are Foxtrot and The lamb lies down on Broadway

yesstiles and abzach like this.
  3. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I love it... but it's probably in my Top 10 Genesis albums if I had to rank them for myself.

4. It's not THE best IMHO, but it's definitely one of the best.

abzach likes this.
  5. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

By the way, can you identify the Brian Eno contributions on Lamb..?

6. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

During the mixing sessions for Lamb Lies Down at Island Studios, Brian Eno was working on his album Taking Tiger Mountain (1974) in the adjacent studio. Gabriel asked Eno to add synthesized effects on his vocals on several tracks including "The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging", which he dubbed on the album's credits as "Enossification". As a repayment, Eno asked Collins to play drums on his track "Mother Whale Eyeless".

7. drumandguitar

drumandguitar Forum Resident

Borrowed and taped the album (tut tut) from the University library back in the day. It helped me get through many a tough time on my engineering degree. I just love the atmosphere on this album. I voted top 5, but maybe I'm being a little generous. A superb album, not their absolute best, but a real teaser of what was to come.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I've never thought of it, apparently he contributed on The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging and Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats.

Sear likes this.
  9. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I prefer the four albums by the classic 5 member lineup, but I can see why someone would like Trespass the best. If you prefer subtler songwriting, less oddball lyrics, and an emphasis on folk guitars rather than hammering prog-rock keyboards, it makes total sense.

10. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Yes it's less bombastic and more folk

11. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

The prog rock keyboards here are consistent going into Foxtrot - I think all three of these have a consistent sound to a point, Trespass is just musically less complex, lyrically less complex, and a ton more atmospheric to my ears.

The_Windmill likes this.
  12. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

"The Knife" is the only track from it that I ever listen, the others are a waste of time.

13. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Stagnation a waste of time?

Good thing there still is time... for washing in the pool. Wash away the past. :agree:

14. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

The keyboards are definitely there, they just don't announce themselves as dramatically IMO.

15. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

It may have been some years ago but that's the track that stuck to me, because of something I liked near it's end. I'm pretty sure the track was "Tho Noif".

16. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I don't know, those big Mellotron swells in Visions of Angels with those harmony vocals... Tony was already getting there.

17. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Voted top 5, but this is the one I pull out the most these days. Kind of burnt out on Genesis lately. Overall I'd rank my top 5:

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    Foxtrot
    Nursery Cryme
    Trespass
    Selling England by the Pound

SEBTP would be higher if not for More Fool Me, which I really don't like, and Epping Forest, which I can never make up my mind if I like or not lol

18. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats is an instrumental - so, no.

Vocals on Grand Parade (quite obviously) plus vocals on a couple other tracks (possibly the voices of the Slippermen). Going only by memory, nothing else stands out as much/comes immediately to mind aside from Grand Parade.

BTW what Eno did was run Gabriel's voice through his synth (probably his VCS3) that he had used to process/distort the guitar and sax in Roxy Music.

20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Trespass is like Genesis' Who By Numbers or Presence (Zep). Not overplayed on the radio back in the day, so its just a tad more fresh on re-listens. Though, 40 years after being introduced to it, that's getting harder to say every year. I know these albums like the back of my hand.

And of course, if you are newer to the Genesis catalog you're bound to have a different perspective.

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I rank it 6th, simply on the amazing strength of "Looking For Someone," "Stagnation" and "The Knife." I don't even enjoy the other three songs all that much.

22. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Love Trespass, it's like a visit into a special world. Top 3 album for me along with SEBTP

Zach Johnson likes this.
  23. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Very good album, but lower-tier for Genesis in my opinion.

25. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

WHAT?!

Eno needed to be a singer to run Gabriel's voice through his synth?

WHAT?!

Anyway, I hear no signs of "Enossification" on 'Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats'. I hear un-treated/un-distorted guitars, percussion, mellotron (and maybe bass pedals very low in the mix).

Eno wasn't a keyboard player (at least not then). He processed signals (vocals or instruments) through his VCS3 synth (a synth which didn't even come with a built in keyboard). Eno did what he did mainly by twisting knobs.

Even if Eno could play keyboards at the time, he wouldn't have as Tony never would have allowed it. When recording the previous album, while Tony was out of the studio one day Peter overdubbed some keys onto 'I Know What I Like' and when he played the tape for Tony later on he threw a fit that Peter had dared to encroach upon his territory.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.