Triage on the 2019-2020 TV Season in light of the Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark Thread Starter

Thought this would be a good place to share info on television programming that's been understandably up-ended by current events. Not that it's the most crucial thing to focus on at this time, but with more people in their homes and needing the distraction, a little forewarning might be appreciated. Lots of shows have long-running story arcs nowadays that made perfect sense when production started, but while some of it has been salvageable, some will not be. Some seasons have already been shot, finished and in the can. Others have more pressing concerns...

A good example is NBC's New Amsterdam, which pulled its' season finale next week, because the storyline had to do with a viral outbreak, set in a NYC hospital. It was able to come to a satisfying conclusion for the season in Episode 17. This left the show's mid-season replacement, Council Of Dads starting a week early, I guess.

Over on the CW, Supergirl is ending their season early, not as much due to health concerns (which there are, of course), but because their titular lead character is pregnant, and was slated to direct her first episode before work was halted.

Naturally there are lots of live shows, talk shows, reality and documentary programming that can stop on a dime without leaving the audience particularly disoriented, but I'm more interested in giving viewers a heads-up about shows whose storylines are going to suffer. So, any knowledge you want to offer about these sorts of shows would be most beneficial.

2. Dillydipper

For those still following The Walking Dead on FX, they had to put a halt to production before they got to their season-ending cliff-hanger. Because they left loose ends, they managed to cobble-together an earlier cliffhanger, and still intend to turn the material that was going to end the season, into a special episode/production that will air later this year, God willing.

There must be some shows in the 2019-2020 season you know that are definitely hampered continuity-wise, so spill what you know; share with the class.

There are of course plenty of shows currently in production that were intended to air in Spring, Summer and next season, whose work has been temporarily halted by this. We don't really need to delve into those for now, as nobody expected to know anything about these for now anyway. There are lots of shows that were only getting one or two episodes more in their season anyway, and many of these may be totally wrapped for now as it is. Perhaps just focusing on what was planned to get to the end of the season in the next couple of months, would be a good start.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  3. Dillydipper

Here's last week's New York Post survey of halted productions, although it doesn't really differentiate between this season and upcoming productions...also includes film release delays...
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/all-the-tv-shows-and-movies-delayed-or-canceled-over-coronavirus/

IndieWire put a more comprehensive article out today:
    Coronavirus Cancellations: Hollywood Entertainment and Covid-19 | IndieWire

I'm also curious as to when the networks, cable nets and smaller fish on the television spectrum will have a game plan for the important announcements in May called the Upfronts, when they usually roll out big stage presentations which they invite the bigger advertisers to see what's coming, what's cancelled and let the cat out of the bag on what's been renewed.

4. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Is this the first time Hollywood has been shut down because of a virus, or some other kind of worldwide disaster? Prior to this, what was the closest?

5. Dillydipper

Writers strikes, I believe. Not exactly a universally-affecting cataclysm.

Vahan likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

I'm reading on TV Guide that NBC's Superstore was not able to film their final ep for the season; America Ferrara was due to shoot her final appearance in the sitcom, and will probably get a "proper goodbye" in Season Six. The three Dick Wolf Chicago shows also have unfinished seasons with work stopped.

ABC's Gray's Anatomy has only wrapped episode 21 of a 25-episode season.

Can't be as certain where CBS is in this mix, many of their drama series are more episodic than long-continuity story arcs, and there may be some NCIS's that end abruptly without being as obvious. I do know they had a few sitcoms still shooting on audience-less sets last week, laugh tracks being called in to work because, well, they're laugh tracks.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  7. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

What's your take on the networks' general fiscal health in light of the virus? It occurs to me that the suits must be on their knees praying there's an NFL season, since 4 of the top 8 rated shows are football. NBC especially needs Sunday Night Football; they're already taking a multi-billion dollar bath with the Olympics pushed back a year.

8. Dillydipper

Well remember - once they run out of fresh programming, there's probably plenty of reruns of Law & Order to go around for everybody!
    (I wonder if "dunt-dunt" is classified as a sound effect...or, if they have to pay royalties to the composer everytime it plays...? :doh: )

9. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I've been spending so much time at home. I've started watching soaps that I haven't seen in years. I'm wondering when they will run out of episodes because all of them shut down production weeks ago.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  10. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

In Britain Eastenders has been cut from four showings a week to two to make the finished episodes in hand last longer.