Triangle Borea BR03's in the house

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bought a set of Triangle BR03's from my local dealer Home Theater, Stereo Systems, Home Networking | Sales and Installation . They replace my Boston Acoustics A26's. The Triangles have a clearer and faster sound. Details pop out more. Bass is tighter, mids are a tad forward and the highs have more sparkle than the Boston's. I'm getting used to the sound signature in my house and am really growing into them. The sound at the dealer's house is obviously different than mine. I did take my Boston's to the dealer to compare them and in that environment it was very obvious how much better the Triangles are.

I am also using a SVS SB-1000 subwoofer (crossed at 65hz), a Rotel RA-12 integrated, Rotel CD14, Denon DP2500 and a Volumio Raspberry Pi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    jonwoody, iluzun, Alright4now and 8 others like this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Congrats on the new speakers.

Do you ever have the opportunity to pull them out into the room a couple feet?

bever70, jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  3. telemike

No, I have about 8" from wall

4. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

With my Triangle Celius speakers, positioning makes a huge difference.
    An inch forward or back and side to side makes quite noticable changes.
    Experiment over time.
    Since you are running the sub, I'd start with them away from the back wall as much as you can.

bever70 and Rick58 like this.
  5. telemike

These have really been growing on me. Combined with the SVS Sub, I feel I have a winning combination.

Rick58 likes this.
  6. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Anyone here heard the smaller uh, 'bro' to this speaker, the BR02? Seems it's been rather overshadowed by the BR03 ... I'm generally more interested in LS3/5A-sized speakers, given my small room.

7. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

[bump]

8. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident

These are classed as bookshelf speakers but they hardly suited for bookshelf, or are they? The user guide recommends them to be be more than 2 m apart and more than 0.4m from the back wall. Does anyone have these babies close to wall (literally, on a bookshelf) ? How do they perform?

9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I guess this is an 'old' thread, but having their great-great-grandfathers (Titus 202 models from 2002) I like to see it. Hopefully the OP pulled them out into the room. I advocate for nearfield/well away from walls listening with these (types of) speakers.

I think they COULD work on a bookshelf, but as with most of these speakers, they're really good when on stands out into the room. 0.4m is 16", I assume that means from the BACK of the speaker. Seems prudent to get good soundstage depth from them. Closer/on a bookshelf they might produce more bass but seems to me imaging (esp spaciousness/depth) would suffer. Maybe for 'serious' listening you could have stands of some sort placed a couple feet away from the wall ...?

Having the front ports would help (I'm guessing) with bass response, getting the sound out into the room.

FloydVivino likes this.
  10. FloydVivino

Thanks! We people with no dedicated room and/or a wife ;) face a challenge when trying to get the most out of set a good "bookshelve" speakers!

jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I think the triangles have the potential to sound quite a bit better than your old speakers. They would certainly support an upgrade in your amplifier, when you wish to do that. They won’t be the weak link in your system.

I believe they are easy to drive and efficient, so your present amplifier should be fine in that regard.

12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I am listening to my Tituses right now, they are on stands about 2 m out into the room and 2 m from my ears, also about 2 m apart. They sound fabulous.

13. telemike

I am using a Cyrus One Cast with my Triangles now. Match well together.

jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  14. FloydVivino

Thanks for thoughtful and for bothering to check my system :) Yes, an upgrade to my amp is in the horizon, probably a second-hand Yamaha A-S1000, if I can get hold of one in good shape and at good price.

Rick58 likes this.
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

WOW !!! Sounds like a great plan! Add a nice subwoofer and this will be a super sounding system. The Boreas will hopefully provide nice tight bass to a satisfying level, but many folks (myself included) add a sub to fill in the lowest bass.

The Tituses seem to go to around 50Hz with good authority, as I assume the Boreas will too. Adding the sub helps flesh out many things, including room sound in recordings. I'd suggest (as I said) having some stands, even barstools, around for when you can pull the speakers out into the room. I think even on barstools (24" tall or so, as long as the tweeters can be near your ear height) these speakers away from walls can provide a magical window into the music, which can include depth and space.

If you've never heard such things, be prepared to be amazed. Set up in a triangle (fitting!) with the speakers 2m apart and sit in the center, about 2m or so away. Aim the speakers anywhere from pointing straight ahead to pointing right AT your head (as I have mine). When things are 'locked in' the speakers completely disappear, and a wide and deep soundscape opens up in front of you.

This will likely happen with your Missions too, but with the higher end speakers and amp, things will be more realistic and hopefully provide a super-satisfying musical experience. :cheers:

FloydVivino likes this.
  16. FloydVivino

In fact, my old amp has just now starting to show diminishing signs of life, making noise I first thought it was the speakers' - swap left-right cables and noise moved to the other speaker (and it happens with both TT and CDP).
    Anyway, I'm sort of not "pr$pared" to take the leap on a Yamaha A-S1000 and might settle for a A-S501. Do you think is still a good match for these Triangle Borea BR03 speakers?

bhazen likes this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Given the quality of the Br0s, I'd say a little further up the ladder would probably be more satisfying over the long haul. A-S801, were it my decision.

Rick58 likes this.
  18. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

POSSIBLY it's a bad cable? swap L-R speakers? something like that anyway.

Yes, I think the power is plenty, the BROs are hopefully as 'low power amp' friendly as the Tituses I have. The 501, I don't know all the differences, it likely would drive them well to normal/loud listening levels.

The power is inconsequentially higher in the 801, BUT ...

ESS Sabre 32-Bit DAC: After careful listening evaluations, Yamaha selected the 32-bit, two-channel SABRE Premier Audio DAC from ESS Technology, Inc. Most notable is its high precision processing power of 32-bit audio along with the ability to handle large amounts of audio data with full PCM 384 kHz and native DSD 5.6 MHz. Since the built-in D/A converter generates its own master clock, an original jitter elimination function is also included, permitting D/A conversion with an extremely low impact of clock jitter. Moreover, a two-channel D/A converter is housed inside the chip which applies a double differential operation. The result is exceptional high performance and high quality signal output with a superior signal to noise ratio.

USB (Type-B) Port: The USB DAC function supports native DSD (2.8 MHz and 5.6 MHz) and PCM (384kHz/32-bit*) resolutions. This function allows for a direct connection to Windows PCs and Mac computers which opens the door to play back of the highest resolution audio content offered today. The Yamaha-developed USB device controller has its own master clock that eliminates PC jitter. The driver is a low loss, high throughput ASIO 2.3 Yamaha Steinberg USB driver. During playback, indicators on the front-panel clearly show which sampling frequencies are currently being used. The amplifier's USB connection supports the following operating systems:

Note: *A compatible Windows PC will support up to 32-bit audio. A compatible Mac computer will only support up to 24-bit audio.

So if you don't have a high quality DAC and want to have one, and play files from your computer (or network? not sure of connections etc., I'm just learning myself) the 801 is def the better of the two.

Crutchfield, etc. has these as factory refurbs on occasion, I've done this with the last many purchases I've made, never had problems or issues. Not sure what's available in/to Portugal however.

Yamaha A-S501 (Silver) Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in DAC at Crutchfield (click on 'DETAILS' tab)

Yamaha A-S801 (Silver) Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in DAC, optional Bluetooth® at Crutchfield (click on 'DETAILS' tab)

the DAC etc. seems to be the main difference, as far as a 1 minute reading goes ... maybe there are others though.

bhazen likes this.
  19. telemike

Rotel and Marantz would be good options as well.

20. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

yes I had both and preferred the BRo2. the BR03 sounded sloppy to me. had to return it.

bhazen likes this.
  21. jazzsurfer

pick an amp that excels at instrument seperation because that is the weakness of these speakers. I noticed it and one of the top reviewers on youtube recommended the same.

22. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

How does the BR02 do with hard rock? Say, Led Zeppelin II (presuming you listen to that sort of thing? Apologies otherwise.)

23. jazzsurfer

sounds great because it captures the timbre of the instruments so well but it is a small speaker so the scale of the instruments is as such.

bhazen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.