Trigger Hippy (Gorman, Greene & Osborne)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gammondorf, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Is the vinyl a 1 or 2 LP? Amazon list is a 2xLP.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It's a double-LP.

3. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Correct - double LP. Kinda wish they'd just only fill 3 sides instead of spreading them out over 4. Less getting up and going to flip the disc. lol

4. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

How's the vinyl sound?

5. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Sounds pretty good to me. No issues, at least, with the pressing or anything. Nice warm-sounding recording IMO

dgstrat likes this.
  6. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

Anyone catching this group next week? Headed to the Portland show and pretty excited to see them live.

7. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

They are playing in Sacramento next Saturday Jan 31
    at a venue called the Ace of Spades. I'm looking forward
    to the show ( I agree with all the above reviews about their album,
    it's excellent! )

8. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Saw them in NYC recently and absolutely loved them. GREAT live band! Great players with great songs.

9. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

Saw them in Sac last night. Great show, superb vocal blend from Joan O and Jackie G.
    Appreciative crowd at the Ace Of Spades, that's a nice cozy venue.
    Thanks for giving me the heads up about their west coast tour dates.

10. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

I thought the a portland show was pretty good, but wasn't impressed with Joan. Gorman is a beast on the drums, and should be in the conversation for greatest rock drummers. Absolutely phenomenal. Actually met him at the bar prior to their set, which was pretty cool. I thought when they closed with a Stevie Nicks cover for Joan to sing that they were just reaching a bit, but to each his own. Jackie and the rest of the band are great, and will only get better if they continue to tour.

Carserguev likes this.
  11. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

Joan didn't have the best body language at the beginning of the show but got more into it as the show progressed.
    Sac is Jackie's hometown and a lot of people "were there" for Jackie. So maybe she felt she had something to prove
    and stepped it up. It is possible that deep down, she feels more comfortable with a more acoustic backing to these
    songs. Check out this interview/acoustic performance with Jackie.

zphage and dgstrat like this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Love their album. Got tix to see them in 2 weeks. Does the EP have anything that's not on the album?

13. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Nope.

14. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Saw them recently at the Bijou in Knoxville (small theater, great acoustics). They killed it. Bonus, they didn't play too loud. Didn't need ear plugs and my ears weren't bleeding after.

dgstrat likes this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm envious. They played about 6hrs away from me a few weeks ago. I was thinking of burning a vacation day to catch the show, and then my boss asked me to catch a webinar that prevented me going. :cry:

Enjoy!

16. mrjinks

Well this sucks...

[from Jackie Greene's Facebook page]
    It's been a great pleasure playing with a Trigger Hippy the past few years, but I must call it quits. My first album in five years is right around the corner and I must focus my attention on that. I am no longer a member of Trigger Hippy. I will not be at the Full Tilt Boogie Festival in VT, but I'm sure it will be a great time and I sincerely hope everyone enjoys themselves. Thanks to all who came out and supported us over the past few years, we really appreciate it.

17. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

It really sucks. First they lost their lead guitarist, Tom Bukovic, Then Greene who was 1/2 their lead voc plus guitar/organ.

18. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Yeah, that's a real shame. I figured something might be up when they had no touring scheduled. Joan Osborne as usual is doing other things, but I had high hopes she would balance them with this. With Greene gone, I dont see how they can continue, although I would guess Gorman will/has thought about trying.

19. pghmusiclover

Joan is currently co-headling a tour with Mavis Staples, so it's possible the band was only meant as a one-off.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    ARK likes this.
  20. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

This is a bummer. Had them as my favorite post crowes related band

dgstrat likes this.
  21. kvsawilson

kvsawilson Senior Member

A real shame. I thought their album was the best of 2014 and saw them last month in Telluride and loved it. And while I'm a huge Joan Osborne fan, I don't see the band going on without Jackie. And while I've tried to find some of his solo stuff that impresses me as much, I can't say any of it does. I guess I'm glad we got what we did, but wish they would have kept it going.

K

22. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

I agree that its a blow to the contemporary music scene. Joan and Jackie had a special vocal combination
    and the bass player wrote some good songs. I'm gonna see Joan and Mavis in Napa at the end
    of the month. Looking forward to it!

23. mrjinks

I actually like a lot of Jackie's older material, but I don't get what he's up to nowadays. His last regular album (2010) was pretty soft in comparison with his older material. I eventually grew to like some of it, but was certainly hoping his new disc would have a little more "edge" to it. Sadly, it's more of the same. I listen to it and think: (a) this is an album after a five-year absence? :wtf: and (b) he's walking away from Trigger Hippy to promote THIS record?!?

mlew likes this.
  24. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

When I went to see Trigger Hippy in Sacramento this past January, a woman asked me
    who I was here for. She was here to see Jackie as it was his hometown. I replied that I
    was here for the entire band!! Apparently Jackie feels he has enough fans like this woman who will
    support his solo ventures financially. But in my opinion, Trigger Hippy is the better musical situation for him.
    c'est la vie

Bonddm and painted8 like this.
  25. pghmusiclover

Joan just posted this exciting news on FB:

Only bad thing about flying to Nashville for work on the next Trigger Hippy album? Missing John Prine in Brooklyn.

mlew and Bonddm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.