Trinity Session on Vinyl - Which One?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoldenBoy, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Well folks, I finally got myself a turntable again - the first one I've owned in almost 10 years now. I got a Numark TT100. But, don't fret my friends, I'm not turning into a vinyl hound or anything. I always have, and still do, prefer CD's to vinyl by far, and especially now SACD's, but I digress. I did not post this to start a debate about CD's vs. vinyl. :) I mainly purchased it so I could play some of my old records again, but I decided that, instead of just playing my old records from the '80's on it, I thought I'd initiate it with some newer vinyl releases. So, in addition to some original label pressings that I purchased over the past couple of years (I always new that I would someday get a turntable again, so I began to purchase some records again, mainly as collectors items) such as Radiohead's Amnesiac and O.K. Computer; P.J. Harvey's Stories From the City...Stories From the Sea; The Strokes' Is This IT?; and Prince's The Rainbow Children, I also purchased the other day the Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Session, one of my all time favourite albums, on vinyl in 2 versions - the Simply Vinyl 180g pressing and the Classic Records 45rpm single sided QUEIX SV pressing.

What I was wondering is, if anyone out there knows, which of the 2 Junkies' presings is the better and therefore which one should I listen to first?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Unfortunately, the only one that sounds decent is the 4X45RPM Clasic Recs version. I had the SV and I still have the original pressing. Horrible sibilence in even the original pressing. The vinyl is horribly delicate, and "floppy-like".

But it was recorded digitally from a single stereo mic. Best experience I've had is the RCA CD. Sounds godlike on electrostatics! :D

3. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I'd agree that the CD version is very good. You could really feel the Toronto Church it was recorded in. One of my favorites.

4. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

I have a gold remaster of this title. I think it was issued by classic records and is out of print. It sounded better to me than the original CD, if I recall correctly.

5. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Best version I've heard is the original independent Canadian release on Latent label. This was the first issue before they signed with RCA.

6. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Thanks fpr the reply folks. I figured the CD would be better than the vinyl version. I'll give that 45rpm version a listen as soon as I hook up my turntable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.