Trip Hop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Feb 24, 2021.

1. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

I can tell you’re very passionate about this subject, but I don’t think that Massive Attack or Portishead are under appreciated in any way - Massive Attack in particular are widely revered in electronic music and the fact that their music was featured on many trip hop compilations of the era (because, yes it was) doesn’t mean in any way that they have been confined to some genre ghetto they can’t escape from. And to a lesser degree the same goes for Portishead.

2. trickness

Anybody who ever referred to New Order as a trip hop act obviously doesn’t know fut the wuck they’re talking about.

Mr wiggles and Blank Frank like this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, New Order have appeared on a trip hop comp, as this thread amply demonstrates, pretty much anything can be labelled as trip op even when it blatantly isn't, shows what a meaningless term it is.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Admittedly I'm the first to criticise Discogs, and it's genre labelling which is often plain wrong, but Portishead, Tricky and Massive Attack are all labelled as trip hop, which considering Discogs own policy is that records can't be in a genre that didn't exist when released "Blue lines" is mislabelled on every level.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

While I understand where you are coming from and what you are saying, I ultimately have to say "what does it matter?"

speedracer likes this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't, but I've been fighting the good fight for nearly 28 years, arguing similar points at the time, long before the world moved online, so may as well continue, someone needs to point certain things out before millennials rewrite history entirely. Those Bristol records weren't recorded as part of some yet to exist trip hop genre, they weren't recorded in isolation, they were products of a diverse and very interconnected local music scene, taking three artists and relabelling them as trip hop takes them out of that context, cuts those ties, ignores what came before, disrespects my entire city and is just plain wrong.

I should say that I've quite enjoyed this thread though and take all the mistaken posts in good humour.:)

Jimmy Disco D and Blank Frank like this.
  7. trickness

Having just one track on a compilation doesn’t mean that your entire recorded output belongs to that genre, but it certainly could mean that this one particular song is in that wheelhouse…..do you not get that?

i’ve got literally dozens of downtempo/trip hop compilation CDs from that period and 99% of the tracks/acts that are on those comps absolutely deserve the trip hop tag. The job of the labels was not to trick people into buying genre compilations that made no sense, quite the contrary. I think, in most cases the tracks chosen, as well as the artwork had quite a lot of thought put in, at least until the late 90s when all the major labels got on board with compilations and they had no clue.

There’s always going to be an outlier track or two on even the best genre compilations, but that doesn’t mean the entire genre is an act of subterfuge. Everybody’s entitled to their opinion about whether or not the genre was valid, but there certainly were plenty of independent labels and artists who were happy to be considered part of the trip-hop thing for about 5-7 years there. Even some from Bristol.

Natalie Imbruglia though was definitely NOT trip-hop. :laugh:

8. Dust Mice

Dust Mice Well-Known Member

Nah. It was more in line with Funki Porcini and that mob

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yes, as I mentioned in a previous post, I knew several happy to jump on the bandwagon and get paid, I even posted you a pic of the Grantby master tape, though Dan wasn't Bristolian.

10. trickness

oh right! Crap I forgot. those Grantby tracks are gold.

11. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

I've been drawn to the hazy hypnotic sounds since at least 95, for me the entry point was Maxinquaye and Rebirth of Cool Phive which led me to Portishead & Massive Attack (who I'd ignored touring NZ about a year earlier).

(The strong affinity for the Bristol sound must be genetic as recently discovered my father was born & bred Bristolian)

Dubmart likes this.
  12. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

May not be Trip-Hop but the vocal reminds me strongly of the genre, (you may have already listened to this as it's been mentioned a few times): Goldfrapp -Felt Mountain

conjotter and speedracer like this.
  13. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, will check it out. I sort of spaced this thread, time for some review - no worries on genre, only thing I now know for sure about Trip Hop is the more you try to define it the more vague it gets, but the discussion certainly turns up some boss sounds.

Devilscucumber and Chrome_Head like this.
  14. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Genuine question…what’s the difference between trip hop and big beat?

I assumed big beat (Mr Scruff, Propellerheads?) were more dance orientated?

Both were around the same time in the 90s and they seem to fold into each other for me.

15. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Big Beat - ecstasy/coke
    Trip Hop - weed.

Or something like that :)

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Big Beat Brighton
    Trip Hop Bristol

NB, I still don't accept the use of the term to describe certain Bristolian music.

Mister President likes this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The records of the former often fetch large amounts of money, whilst the latter languish in cheap boxes.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think it only fair to Mr. Scruff to mention his drug of choice was a cup of tea.

19. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I love her Albums. Sadly for fans, after Doc's departure her Discography wasn't nearly as good as the debut.

From her debut Breath From Another:

"That Girl" - Esthero.

20. mmart1

mmart1 Forum Resident

Esthero just announced a vinyl reissue of Breath From Another. Appears to be an Urban Outfitters exclusive, available for preorder on Wednesday 8/16 9am EST via link provided at top of this page:

@TheRealEsthero | Linktree

Beamish13 likes this.
  21. I became interested in Amon Tobin's music after reading a very superlative laden review of his Supermodified CD (might have been on Amazon) and picking it up based on that. Been a huge fan ever since but, I have to say his most recent music strikes me as much less experimental and not nearly as engaging. For example, I wound up on Bandcamp the other day and from one of his side projects found myself on the page for his "Hole In the Ground" EP. Nice but kind of lackluster. I think his last great work for me was his planets inspired "Dark Jovian" from 2015. I appreciate that he's moved on and is trying new things but I feel like a lot of the inventiveness and edginess is missing.

-s1m0n-

jfeldt likes this.
  22. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

If any of you downtempo trip-hop fans missed the a.s.o. debut album last year, it's pretty cool. Berlin-based duo sounding like a dreamy, moody, sensual lost recording from 1997 ...

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Vinyl reissue in March because this album has been tough to get on vinyl!

Davey likes this.
  24. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yea, should be a big year for them, the remix album is pretty great too.

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. Anaan Ng

Anaan Ng Interested Party

This is an interesting thread to read. We did an assemblage of trip hop songs over on another board I'm on many years ago. Half of us were novices when it came to the genre, so it wasn't anywhere near as in-depth or as fleshed out as this thread is (or as strictly adhering to the label and its origins).

I see there's a lot of discussion here about what the genre is and what acts it encompasses by people far more knowledgeable than I about the subject, but perhaps we can extend the definition to a project that involves Dan The Automator, who has been mentioned already in this thread and made that list of 198 songs (twice) at the link that was also posted?

It's trip hop-influenced hip hop, I guess one could say. I think it might deserve mention. From San Francisco in the year 2000. Hope it fits. Cheers!

Deltron 3030 - Madness

xybert likes this.