Trip Hop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I think 'club banger' and 'trip hop' don't have a lot of crossover!

MGM, CaptainFeedback1, tkl7 and 4 others like this.
  2. werk

werk Forum Resident

Make sure to check out the band Morcheeba as well =]

Can also recommend the album Melody A.M. by Röyksopp :righton:

DrGoon, speedracer and AndrewK like this.
  3. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

100% agree but that said that same night you might have also heard the remix of Unfinished Symphony or said to yourself when I Miss You came on, oh that is the voice from the Massive Attack song Protection.

I was first discovering this stuff in the states via Q and Mojo months after it was a thing so I might be blending my UK Trip Hop, Downtempo and post Acid House a little too freely.

4. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Does the William Orbit stuff with Beth Orton count. Again another very strong Trip Hop vibe here:

5. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Trip Hop 1968

6. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Lunik - Other Side

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Blaine Jacobs and speedracer like this.
  7. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know

Might of missed it but DJ Shadow's "Entroducing" is right there with the best albums ever made. No samples--all done from his vast record collection. I'm 50 and that album never gets old. Chill and great for driving, He might of even coined the term Trip Hop?

If Everything But The Girl is Trip Hop---I think it's lost all it's meaning? Like kids use the term Lo-Fi to describe chilled music. One kid didn't believe me when I told him it was about production values being on the low end and the music sounding unpolished.

DJ Shadow: Endtroducing... [Deluxe Edition]

8. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

The Cardigans - Erase Rewind

Blaine Jacobs and speedracer like this.
  9. LAL

LAL Forum Resident

Emiliana Torrini's 1999 album "Love In The Time Of Science" should have at least a handful of songs that qualify as trip hop.

10. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

DJ Krush, DJ Shadow, Laika, The Herbaliser, are worth checking out as well.

Acid-Jazz emerged around the same time and sometimes overlapped with Trip-Hop, but the latter proved more durable.

11. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

first time hearing Emiliana Torrini, thank you for sharing!

here is one more, somehow I thought it was trance at the time, but I guess it may be trip-hop

Olive - You're not alone

12. ThunderDan

ThunderDan Forum Resident

This.

Blue Lines and Mezzanine are masterpieces.

TOTALLY different vibe, but I also love this album by Morcheeba:

[​IMG]

Yeah, the music is similar to that CD picture, LOL... very relaxing and smooth.

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Always good to see them mentioned! Another band that "vanished"....

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Acid Jazz was at least five or six years before Trip Hop.

Having seen and even promoted most of the acts already mentioned I'm not sure any of them would have called their music Trip Hop, in fact some of them despised the term, if I recall it was a Mixmag journalist who came up with it, anyway just buy "Dummy" it's the best album of that non genre.

kyodo_dom, Bulsara and speedracer like this.
  15. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

My favourite band sometimes described as 'trip hop' is the Propellerheads. E.g. 'Take California'.

But, in doing some genre-checking, trip-hop often has vocals. So, how about this from Groove Armada. 'If Everybody Looked The Same'.

I think it's a pity that Will White had his health issues and Propellerheads sort of fizzled out.

CDV, Jamsterdammer and speedracer like this.
  16. EasternSon

EasternSon Forum Resident

It likely most behooves you to employ Bristol as your locus. As alluded to in the disco thread, there was a sizeable migration of Jamaican expatriates to that particular city. Sound systems weren't uncommon - and informed the Wild Bunch (which included Daddy G and 3D, later of Massive Attack as well as Nellee Hooper, who would enjoy considerable commercial success w/ Soul II Soul's debut album - "Keep on Movin'" / "Back to Life" especially - before eventually decamping to the US and producing the likes of Bjork "Human Nature") and Smith & Mighty. Their early fusion of classic (hip-hop coveted) breakbeats (e.g. JB's "Funky Drummer") w/ interpolations of soul drenched standards such as Bacharach & David's "Walk on By" or Rose Royce's "Wishing on a Star" (Fresh 4 featuring DJ Krust, produced by Smith & Mighty) installed the template for Trip Hop.

It's not surprising that Bristol also has enjoyed a healthy and vibrant drum and bass scene, w/ many of the same sonic pioneer purveyors instrumental in the ascendancy:

Drum'n'bass history Bristol: The full, unabridged story

17. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Indeed. Acid Jazz was around in the club scene in the UK in the 1980s, but broke into the mainstream in the early nineties, around the same time as Trip Hop.

Some of my favorite compilations of Acid Jazz and Trip Hop are the "Rebirth of Cool" series, which started with Vol.1 in 1993 and ended with Vol,7 in 1998.

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

19. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Trigger Hippie posted upthread - like very much! Thanks!

Thanks for recommends - and it all counts! I knew going in that a term like Trip Hop was going to be refracting. Re genre: I'm not much concerned with pinning the Trip Hop butterfly to the wall, am content to see them alive and metamorphosing.

Am hearing enough common denominators to see where these would bond covalent.

Killer stuff - thanks all.

20. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

This is one of my favorites. A bit more ambient than most releases in the genre. If you like it I would recommend the singer's solo album "Sola." It's credited to "Echostar" iirc.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I think there’s some good Björk trip-hop tracks from her early albums. I wouldn’t call her strictly trip hop through.

ARK, DrGoon and speedracer like this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This is true. I actually came to trip hop through the relatively-poppy, adult-contemporary sounds of Canada's Delerium, an offshoot of Front Line Assembly, which isn't even close. But from there, I just followed the groove.

ARK, Neonbeam and speedracer like this.
  23. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

The originals - Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky mentioned many times here are the place to start. Later, but huge in this style includes Faithless and Archive. More eclectic artists that have made significant recordings in this style include Bomb the Bass, Morcheeba, Thievery Corporation, Unkle, Ulver, Goldfrapp, Bjork...

24. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Think they've mostly all been mentioned by now, but I'll go ahead with a top 10 of my favorite trip-hop albums...

Tricky - Maxinquaye
    Massive Attack - Blue Lines
    Laika - Sounds of the Satellites (the Silver Apples of the Moon debut is a big favorite too)
    Portishead - Dummy
    Bjork - Post
    One Dove - Morning Dove White (Dot Allison's solo debut is very nice too)
    Kid Loco - A Grand Love Story
    Cibo Matto - Viva! La Woman
    Insides - Euphoria
    Bowery Electric - Beat

While not purely trip-hop, one of my favorite modern albums is No Deal by Melanie De Biasio, really great record, highly recommended to all, very nice sounding too, and does have some jazz to trip-hop crossover, with some echoes of latter day Talk Talk and Mark Hollis too. The latest Carla dal Forno record Look Up Sharp also has some nods to the trip-hop world, big favorite of mine, as is her debut. And of course, Lana Del Rey often lives in that world on her records too ...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mélanie De Biasio
    No Deal
    · by Alain Brunet

With her vision, her singularity, her refinement and her degree of virtuosity, Melanie De Biasio has imposed her voice in the world of jazz. She knows how to use its gentle violence, how to extract the best from the flute despite its technical limits, and how to surround herself with musicians (keyboards, percussions, double bass, electronics) capable of developing a minimalist and bewitching approach that has continued to improve over the past decade. Coltranian atmospheres from the Love Supreme era are projected into the present, Portishead-style trip hop becomes jazz, Nina Simone’s sensual gravitas is also evoked, all winning moves by De Biasio, an exceptional artist.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Look Up Sharp, by Carla dal Forno
    Look Up Sharp reaches its satisfying conclusion with ‘Push On’ - dal Forno’s most explicit foray into an undiscovered trip hop universe between Massive Attack and Tracey Thorn. The album’s last gasp finds personal validation in fragility: ‘I push on / I’m the Place I’m Going,’ a self discovery lifted by reverberant broken beats and glass-blown vocals.

25. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

Oh, a lesser known one that's worth mentioning - Chimpan-A, which is a side project of Welsh prog-rock composer and keyboard player Rob Reed. Very much Trip-Hop in style and with multiple guest vocalists who are allowed to shine.