Trip Hop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Feb 24, 2021.

1. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

A standout for me as well, just starting to dig in. Really dug Trigger Hippie. Bunch of really cool stuff surfacing here, am happy to see folks colouring outside the lines.

SinnerSaint and fuse999 like this.
  2. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I have all of Joan Osbourne's albums, i like her a lot.

ARK and speedracer like this.
  3. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Everything that guy did back then was genius. Everything.

speedracer likes this.
  4. Humbruh

Humbruh Forum Resident

Res is such an underrated singer and her album should've done better then it did when it dropped in 2001. She mixed Neo Soul/Trip Hop/Pop/Rock all into one unique sound for herself. Most of the production on her album was done by Doc McKinney who had previously been know for producing all of Esthero's debut and would years later gain notice for his work with The Weeknd. Interesting note on this album is Res didn't write the songs herself, they were written by at the time a woman by the name of Santi White who would a handful of years later leave the band she started with and etch a solo career of her own under the name of Santigold. Res's voice just soars with her lyrics which was a great combo and the best thing both of them ever did imo.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's 25 years ago so my memory is hazy, but I think he moonlighted as someone else on the label, or at least did the music for them.

6. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Try Bjork’s Homogenic.

wontfunk likes this.
  7. trickness

you talking about Cup Of Tea records or......?

8. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

huh interesting- I've been a huge fan of bowery electric since the first double 7" but I've never heard them described as trip hop before. i guess I can see it for Beat though since they went kinda nuts with the drum and bass beats on that album. The first album is really good too but is MUCH more of a straight shoegazer thing.
    they also were one of the worst shows I've ever seen, unfortunately! I saw them in Austin Tx once while helping a friend move down there- talked to Lawrence after the show and mentioned I was in town from WI, and all he said was "oh my god i'm sorry the show was so bad then!" lol. Lots of technical problems, nothing was working that night for them.

mpayan and Neonbeam like this.
  9. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Well...trip hop, as far as I'm concerned, has to have hip hop, and specifically breaks, as its starting point. Stick whatever you like on top of that. Vocals, even female vocals, optional. Vaguely psychedelic is good.

This sort of thing fits the bill:

Blaine Jacobs, tkl7, WorldB3 and 2 others like this.
  10. mike_mike

mike_mike neurodiverse

Andrea Parker was one of trip-hop's prominent women. Kiss My Arp was a solid debut and a DJ Kicks set followed, but subsequent releases were few and far between.

speedracer likes this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I really dig this song too - I always go back and forth whether I prefer this mix in the video or the original album version. But in any iteration this song is so groove and cool

speedracer and fuse999 like this.
  12. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Trip-hop is a hard (sub)-genre to pin down, but I guess Simple Things and When It Falls may at least partly fit the bill. Either way two fantastic albums!

ARK, VinylPhool and speedracer like this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yes, I think Dan did something with label owner Pip Diaz, or rather Dan did something and Pip stuck a name on it and claimed it as his, like I say it was a long time ago and I've done my best to forget the insanity of dealing with Pip, but I think Dan and later Monk and Canatella were the only acts on a wage or at least seeing regular money, Pip wanted to be James Lavelle, but didn't have any musical taste, judgement or business skills, I can't remember how he linked up with Dan, most of the acts very local, but he wasn't.

trickness likes this.
  14. Off:
    Never equated Trip Hop w/Hip Hop*.
    Jungle was always Techno's Hip Hop Electronica. Hip Hop obviously was an influence of Industrial's Drum & Bass too.

* though Tricky would have something to say about that!
    :D

speedracer likes this.
  15. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Is Joan Osborne considered trip hop by some folks? I never really thought of her that way.

She's one of those artists whose CDs I seem to frequently see at thrift stores and the used CD bins at record stores.

16. trickness

Joan Osborne is about as trip hop as Lucinda Williams.

ARK, jalexander, mpayan and 1 other person like this.
  17. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Yup, thanks for confirming my suspicion. Not sure why she's even being mentioned in a trip hop thread, but stranger things have happened.

18. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

isn't Dido "Thank You" also considered trip hop, maybe on a more pop side?

ARK and boiledbeans like this.
  19. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I don't care about genres, just glad that she's being mentioned, I love her voice.

ARK and speedracer like this.
  20. Off:
    To me, that's based much more on Funk; then Hip Hop which has Dancehall as it's base.
    As a modern genre, would go w/Downbeat [subs Funkstep & Liquid Jazz also].

AllMusic disagrees w/both of us:
    Wild Wood - Paul Weller | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic
    rateyourmusic doesn't even mention anything remotely Electronica either:
    Wild Wood by Paul Weller - RYM/Sonemic
    Nor Uncut:
    Paul Weller - Wild Wood - R1993 | UNCUT
    though they do agree w/my [Liquid] Jazz inference.

21. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

And there’s this one, of course:

tomd, CDV, tedhead and 5 others like this.
  22. +
    Electronica for sure!
    What specific genre is a tossup; production was influenced by Trip Hop [IMO], just a more natural instrumental implementation.
    Have no prob w/it getting thrown in.

:angel:

at least "someone" on Wiki agrees w/you:
    Dido (singer) - Wikipedia

ARK, BDC, speedracer and 1 other person like this.
  23. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

I can say I like it much more now than then. Thanks. Moloko passed me by, I knew some of what they played on the radio (such as this one), read some reviews and articles praising them, but ...
    Just cued up the album this is from, Do You Like My Tight Sweater? and I think I missed something.

But ... is this Trip Hop? What is TripHop anyway? Portishead, Massive Attack ... those were mainstays from that label, all have some kind of electronic beat in common ...
    Funnily enough I actually do sort them as TripHop. And each time I added to that folder I question that sorting decision.
    Guess I really should add some Moloko. Really like what I am hearing.

Edit:
    LoL
    I am just getting interested in Róisín Murphy. I had no idea!
    From Wikipedia:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    speedracer likes this.
  24. trickness

only by people who buy their trip hop records in Starbucks

25. trickness

Radiohead had their trip hop moment courtesy of Zero 7

Blaine Jacobs and Bleu Noir like this.