Trip Hop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Feb 24, 2021.

1. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

And lets not forget Snooze

Blaine Jacobs and speedracer like this.
  2. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Sorry, I don't know what most of those genres are!

Dubmart likes this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Attica Blues- Blue Print

And yeah, many of these albums are not trip hop or even close to the style. Maybe unfortunately pure "trip hop" is really a fairly singular style.

Some would call "Homogenic" the ultimate trip hop end game. I think it has elements of the genre even to the point of being influenced the most by it. But I would never call Bjork "trip hop".

I think to go on a trip hop list an album at least has to have the style as its main influence.

Yet if "Morcheeba" is considered strictly trip hop (their albums are not all trip hop) then Id place Bitter:Sweet's album "The Mating Game" in there also.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxhSidauFPU

I also like this album which is heavily trip hop influenced..but has Brazillian/Latin flavor to it. Interesting and fun mix. Still, it sounds enough trip hop to qualify I believe..

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNhDAuyrsxQKxJJx3_3X_kIODtdJAGKPT

Static Discharge and speedracer like this.
  4. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

So true. I traded in the Massive Attack greatest hits with DVD at my local a few years ago and it’s still sitting there at a reasonable price. Really nice intro to the band!

Brenald79 and speedracer like this.
  5. jalexander

This thread nailed the biggies right out of the gate... Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky, Morcheeba. Can’t go wrong with any of those and they will all lead you down various rabbit holes.

It was interesting in the 90s to see the trip hop influence creep into established artists’ work. This 11-minute Morrissey tune builds on a Shostakovich sample and a drum loop (not quite a break best though) that struck me as very Portishead influenced at the time:

speedracer likes this.
  6. jalexander

One of my favourite Portishead tracks from the old days was Untitled. This was released on the Help EP, a companion one the Help album, in which a whole bunch of top UK artists recorded a song in a day, and then the tapes were flown to one site, mastered into an album and released within a week. Radiohead’s Lucky came from this project.

This song randomly mixes two tracks together creating an amazing aural experience signifying the chaos of war.

speedracer likes this.
  7. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would kill to have my record at Starbucks! I get what you mean tho, the watered down public issue. Still, it is just a shelf like anywhere - oddly one of the coolest early reggae singles comps I ever found was a random Starbucks thing.

trickness likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

When I think true trip-hop its connected with the word brooding. Trip Hop is rather dark. A shadows thing about it. And its got that staggered beat which gives it that hazey other worldly feeling.

ARK, MikeManaic61, Galactus2 and 2 others like this.
  9. speedracer

Glad I asked about Moloko, it's fun stuff - nice gateway but am hearing a lot more substance in some of this material on this thread.

I read Moloko were Liverpudlians?

Nice impressionistic take - we don't see that much, it is usually a mechanical view.

Impressions here: Detached, techno-melancholy, alienated Blade Runner international mix vibe.

10. jalexander

At one time, Starbucks was doing some great things with music, including this excellent album with Mavis Staples: Ann Peebles, Billy Preston, Mavis Staples, Irma Thomas, and Allen Toussaint Collaborate with Producer/Musician Joe Henry to Create I Believe To My Soul | Warner Music Inc.

Great description. I’d say there are big differences between even the two major artists in the genre - Portishead and Massive Attack - yet this description captures both.

11. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

ok than I won't add Madonna - Frozen and Erotica :D

sparkmeister likes this.
  12. speedracer

13. trickness

yeah NO :nauga:

14. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The term is problematic as are most labels.

The sound was one of those time and place accidents and was created in Bristol, are Massive Attack/Tricky and Portishead.

Bristol is a chilled place. So it was Bristol's take on hip-hop, slowed down and chilled out.

The extra ingredient was the unusual tastes of the bands. Portishead dug 60's soundtracks and Massive Attack were just as much into post-punk and bands like PIL and the Banshees as they were US hip-hop. It was stuff that certainly at the time the pure hip-hop community weren't sampling or being influenced by. Bristol has a history of this type of genre mixing going back to local legends The Pop Group and Pigbag. It's the mixing of people in a compact scene as everyone knows each other in Bristol.

IMHO if you are using the term it should be fairly limited to the Bristol bands and maybe a handful of others.

But taking a song and just whacking a slowed down dance beat on top doesn't make it trip hop.

16. trickness

although - plenty of French & Belgian acts that were in that pocket at the same time too. Not just a British thing.

AndrewK and speedracer like this.
  17. trickness

And not to forget all the trip-hop/downtempo acts from that time out of Vienna/Austria

Blank Frank and speedracer like this.
  18. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Was going to post the same. This one started everything. There were some great labels, MoWax, Wall Of Sound, Pussyfoot and Ninja Tune. All label samplers of those were great. Most tracks with female voices posted here were already the commercial version of Trip Hop.

Check out:
    Ninja Cuts: Flexistentialism (1996, Vinyl)
    [​IMG]

And maybe this great one
    https://www.discogs.com/de/Various-*****-Galore/release/27504
    [​IMG]

19. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

This Morcheeba song bears such a resemblance to "Six Underground" by Sneaker Pimps, I was compelled to check the release dates. The two albums in question came out about one month apart in 1996. So there was something in the air around that time.....

Chrome_Head and speedracer like this.
  20. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

To me, this track is some sort of proto-type triphop:

21. trickness

Love this track- but its the ubiquitous funky drummer sample with Irish style chanting & fiddle on top, not sure how you’re getting that? o_O

22. VinylPhool

VinylPhool Forum Resident

I’d also recommend The Supreme Beings of Leisure s/t and their album 11I.

For a great electronica chill vibe check out both Max Melvin and Blue States.

Static Discharge and speedracer like this.
  23. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Is MC 900 Ft Jesus considered trip hop?

speedracer likes this.
  24. SpragueCleghorn

SpragueCleghorn Well-Known Member

This is a great album but I've always found it more shoegazer/dream pop than trip hop.

Neonbeam and speedracer like this.
  25. trickness

THIS is trip-hop

Chrome_Head and speedracer like this.