Trip Hop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Feb 24, 2021.

1. SpragueCleghorn

SpragueCleghorn Well-Known Member

2. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

Indeed. The Royaltie$ Overdue comp from '94 on Mo'Wax is killer too.

Piiijiii and speedracer like this.
  3. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Same with me, also the loss of Martina Tropley Bird no longer being on the albums also had something to do with it. Her first solo album deserves a mention here if not already posted.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Absolutely. I'm just using every possible excuse to bring up Bowery Electric! :bdance:

Somewhere they were described being "dream pop, post-rock and triphop while simultaneously being none of these things"

SpragueCleghorn and speedracer like this.
  5. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

That CD cover brings back good memories. I used to collect these.

Bulsara likes this.
  6. mike_mike

mike_mike neurodiverse

Burial founded a new genre of his own much as the Bristol artists did, but it's also possible to hear his first two LPs as a last gasp / delayed effect of trip-hop. Those albums are blunted with the requisite dread.

Wild Frank likes this.
  7. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Burial was more influenced by jungle, garage, and dubstep, not really Trip-Hop. His music has way more dread than anything that could really be called trip-hop, it borders on hauntology. All electronic music genres seem to influence each other to some degree so I see what you're saying though.

This is a pretty good overview on where he's coming from and his influences/influence:

Why Burial’s Untrue Is the Most Important Electronic Album of the Century So Far

speedracer likes this.
  8. SpragueCleghorn

SpragueCleghorn Well-Known Member

Agree that this isn't trip hop but its an awesome track. Thank you for sharing.

9. Bleu Noir

Bleu Noir Well-Known Member

Flame from Crustation's 'Bloom' from 1997 is top tier trip-hop as is Purple from the same album (Air remixed Purple to boot!)

10. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

I like this one a lot. It's trippy but is it hoppy? I'm sure someone will let me know if it isn't :)

speedracer and Bleu Noir like this.
  11. Bleu Noir

South from Alpha's 'South' EP 2001 (also on their second album 'The Impossible Thrill') They actually hailed from Bristol and are probably the best trip-hop group that you never hear about anymore (they probably also aren't all that fond of the term) but they are about to release their 12th (!) album later this year. Essential in any trip-hop anthology I would say.

12. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Some Skylab always sounds good to chill out ...

speedracer and Bleu Noir like this.
  13. Flaevius

Flaevius Left of the dial

Late to the party and most of the major artists and albums have been mentioned in multiple. Dummy and Mezzanine are two of the finest albums of the decade.

So I'll throw out a band that came out of the Bristol scene and sit on the edges: Kosheen. This track is on their sophomore album, Kokopelli.

Resist (album: Resist)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    DrGoon and speedracer like this.
  14. Bleu Noir

One for the road.....Coming Up For Air from Dobie's 'The Sound Of One Hand Clapping' album from 1998 with a gorgeous vocal from Raissa:

speedracer likes this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Although not Trip Hop, "The Hard Sell", has contributions from many of the people already mentioned:
    [​IMG]
    0272 has Crustation's Ian Dark, The Federation were an early Mo' Wax signing, Sister Redz worked with Fresh 4, the Tricky track was enginered by Geoff Barrow of Portishead, Sean Oliver was in Rip Rig & Panic and the New Age Steppers alongside fellow Rip Rig & Panic member and early supporter of Portishead Neneh Cherry as well as Mark Stewart, Intime is Neil Davidge who often collaborates with Massive Attack's Robert Del Naja and was also in Hidden Chipsters with Ian Dark and John Stapleton who for many years worked alongside The Federation's Si John in Tony's Records, Tru Funk included Full Cycle's DJ Die and Way Out West's Jody Wisternoff and worked with Smith & Mighty who in turn pioneered the Bristol Sound and produced "Any Love" the first record to use the name Massive Attack, the members of 3P.M. also worked with Smith & Mighty having releases on their 3 Stripe label, the album is rounded out by the Pop Group's Mark Stewart and Glaxo Babies/Maximum Joy's Tony Wrafter who like Mark Stewart also had various release on On-U Sound. There are many other connections and intersections between these and other previously mention Bristol artists, but hopefully you get the idea of just how small and self-contained the Bristol scene was.

speedracer likes this.
  16. Flaevius

Leila Arab, one of Bjork's touring band members in the early 90s. Like Weather, super album.

Bleu Noir, Halfwit and speedracer like this.
  17. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Ah yes, 1998, that is a good album, nice eclectic electronica record, on her own and met with great reviews, and I bought it, and I really liked it.....

[​IMG]

So fast forward a couple years and we have all these internet discount coupons coming out our ears for all the startup music stores, and I'm ordering CDs like I won the lottery or something, and I happen to see in AMG that Leila has a "new" album out called Love Story. So I hop on the bus and order that baby up with one of my discount coupon codes and pretty soon I have this in my mailbox....

[​IMG]

Huh? Well, if you've read many of my posts here you know by now I may not always be the sharpest knife in the rack, but something was telling me that this wasn't quite the same musical image as the last album cover was trying to project. But you can't always judge a record by the cover, so I put my concerns aside and gave it a listen. Didn't take long to realize something was terribly wrong because coming out of my speakers was some smaltzy ballads hung on top of a glossy LA production (with apologies of course to all the big fans of smaltzy ballads). After further research, I found that AMG was quite wrong, and the folks at wherever I ordered it from just repeated the confusion. Same name, different person. Shoulda sent it right back but never got around to it. Some of these ladies should think a little more about using last names :)

Bleu Noir, Flaevius and speedracer like this.
  18. Flaevius

Sneaker Pimps mentioned up-thread. 6 Underground is a great track, equalled by Spin Spin Sugar. I prefer the album version to Armand Van Helden's mega club mix that made it famous. Damn, that track was everywhere.

Tuco, Bleu Noir, mpayan and 1 other person like this.
  19. mike_mike

mike_mike neurodiverse

The momentum post hip-hop electronic music built throughout the Nineties was derailed by 9/11. The general unease leading towards Y2K informed the 'brooding' character of the best artists at the time.

It's not much of a leap to hear the more sinister bits of Wu-Tang in the music on Portishead's Dummy, for instance. Tricky's second LP was Pre-Millenium Tension, and he subsequently spoke of being lost as the Aughts proceeded.

Following 9/11, genre experiments were further splintered into micro-fragments which were reassembled most effectively by Burial. Again, I'll trace his two debut LPs back to Bristol, and critical claims aside, not necessarily to Manchester. In fact, the cinematic artifice of those records shows more of a Shaolin influence than a Factory Records one.

The cinematic quality of trip-hop, and that which followed, is an important qualifier. Dummy is a good example of it, but the peak is likely Massive Attack's Mezzanine. In a popular sense, this album was a peak.

It was the explosion of media, through increasing digitalization, which became a hallmark of trip-hop. The Bristol artists understood this, if imperfectly, but it had a direct impact on Stefan Betke, who released his three eponymous 'monochrome' LPs under the name of Pole. This music wasn't orthodox trip-hop, as if there was such a thing, but the music Betke made at that time was certainly part of its lineage. From there, it's a series of short steps to Burial, and to the monumental project recently completed by the Caretaker.

To my ears, this music has all been of a piece, and is among the most challenging of the past twenty years.

One last note. The Portishead LP Third is a stone masterpiece, but went a bit unnoticed in the world at large. It's one of the great ones. In terms of the aforementioned dread, the album ends in a somewhat bleak and horrifying manner:

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=S7KkhwLUe00

"Threads" is a brilliant summation of deep, underappreciated tendencies in pop music since the end of the twentieth century.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  20. mike_mike

mike_mike neurodiverse

In a wider sense, it should also be noted that Jacques Derrida's Spectres of Marx was published in 1993, and the book's ideas were directly drawn upon subsequently by popular critics like Simon Reynolds, and most importantly, Mark Fisher. This can't be stressed enough. Pandemic and quarantine have shown us as much.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  21. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

22. wontfunk

wontfunk Forum Resident

“Essentially psychedelic beat collages, usually instrumental, embracing samples, analogue electronics and dub FX. Largely dispensing with the ego of the vocalist in favour of spoken word, incorporating found sounds, fuzz and the most banging drums ever recorded.”

And there you have it!

ARK and trickness like this.
  23. wontfunk

wontfunk Forum Resident

Taking about DJ Food...

Kaleidoscope

[​IMG]

Hugely underrated IMO...

mark e and Halfwit like this.
  24. mike_mike

mike_mike neurodiverse

25. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

The height of trip-hop was in and around 1995. It was great going to record stores back then and shopping for compilations from all sorts of really small indie labels, with great stuff from the UK, France, Austria, and Belgium. For a couple of years there, trip hop had a pretty clearly defined sound, and a lot of great acts pushing the genre, some of which have been posted here in this thread.

As the decade wore on, the genre mutated, like pretty much every genre does over time (Dylan/Newport). Some of these sounds were co-opted by artists who were enamored with trip-hop production and incorporated these sounds into their music. Just like a lot of bands took the grunge sounds of a couple of acts from Seattle and co-opted it. And a lot of really crappy music followed.

What I find great about electronic music is that it is constantly mutating, sub genres splinter off and then form sub sub genres. A lot of trip hop music sampled sounds from 60s movies, hauntology is influenced by BBC radiophonic sounds and pastoral horror. Hauntologic music can sometimes make you tap your foot and shake your a$s, although certainly that is not the primary intent, not to the degree that trip hop music creators were going for.

This thread could morph into “here are all the genres that influenced trip hop, and all the genres that were influenced by trip hop” and it would probably turn into dozens of pages with a lot of interesting music. Similarly you could draw a line from Robert Johnson to Cannibal Corpse and make a fair case how one evolved from the other.

But we’re not getting college credit for this thread, are we?

Meanwhile, some more OG trip hop

mpayan likes this.