Trip Hop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just picked it up at a local store! Gatefold! Playing it now! :goodie:

2. Flaevius

Flaevius Left of the dial

@speedracer . You may also enjoy Red Snapper - Prince Blimey. Mostly instrumental rather than vocal and I'd say this would be more accurately described as acid jazz, but there are some parallels and it exists in a similar sphere. It's a great album.

A highlight of the era for sure, although I prefer the punchier version from The Replacement Killers soundtrack (rap aside).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  3. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

A long time fan or a first listen? Either way...enjoy. It’s a lovely album. Their subsequent records never revisited this sound unfortunately although they are all worth a listen..

4. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes - airy and disembodied without oversynth - unusual, and the orphan poetess, thanks, perfect.

5. Neonbeam

Neither/ nor. Still this new version is very good.

Wild Frank likes this.
  6. Dissidence

Dissidence Human

The Gathering - Travel (How To Measure A Planet? 1998)

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How does this qualify as trip hop? Alt rock for sure. Cool sounding. But I dont hear even a hint of trip hop.

8. Dissidence

Dissidence Human

Better ?

9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

One of my personal favorite trip-hop albums is Lovage's "Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By". A Mike Patton project with Dan the Automator and Jennifer Charles of Elysian Fields on lead vocals

hoover537 likes this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Here you are, this is the original 1st generation master, everything was cut from this or a clone of this, back then there was a Hewlett Packard tape drive factory just outside Bristol and they used new DAT data tapes once to test the drives so you could buy those tapes for £1 each or a TDK/Maxell audio DAT tape for £6, a lot of the masters I dealt with were on Data tapes.

[​IMG]

hoover537 likes this.
  11. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

That’s amazing! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve listened to these tracks and how many mixtapes I put this song on back in the day

Dubmart likes this.
  12. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

lol will Garbage meet as much resistance as did Madonna? Rock band, but a"A Stroke of Luck" sounds pretty trip hop. So does "Queer" actually.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  13. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

I think that just goes to show that trip hop as a genre influenced a lot of other genres, including alternative rock (which is clearly the appropriate genre tag for Garbage).

an act can borrow flavors from other genres for a song or two on an album, but that does not qualify them as a member of that genre. throw on DJ Cam’s first album and then play the debut album by garbage and explain how those two artists have anything to do with each other

AndrewK likes this.
  14. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

Electronica is not a genre. Well, maybe for those who listen to classical. And while I am at it, EDM is not a genre either.
    Moloko are awesome, but I would not call them trip-hop.

speedracer likes this.
  15. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

What would you call them? And feel free free to recommend some choice trip-hop!

16. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Chimpan A is a fantastic album, and features the wonderful Sam Brown, too. Does it qualify as trip-hop? No idea, but it’s worth a listen! There’s also a second album, The Empathy Machine, finally released just last year.

I think the confusion comes from Joan Osborne being in the first iteration of the roots-rock band, Trigger Hippy. But no, nothing to do with trip-hop!

17. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

pretty unknown gem by Tricky & Terranova

Beamish13, Wild Frank and speedracer like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Since a lot of the classical triphop definition is relying on the beat underneath the atmospheric bits and Moloko were covering quite a lot of sonic ground from the sacred to the profane - and back - I've always viewed them as Electronica.

19. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

I don't know what I call them. Electro-pop? What would you call Ladytron? They are probably easier to pin as electropop or synth-pop for most of their stuff.

20. Who told you "Electronica & EDM" are not genres?
    If you believe Electronia is a broad term for electronic music, that's understood. However, Electronica is also a specific genre which the genre EDM evolved around.
    If you think EDM is also a generic term, it is used as such, just EDM is Trap a specific sub-genre.

All EDM Subgenres

ARK and Neonbeam like this.
  21. Neonbeam

No?

Electronica - Wikipedia

SinnerSaint likes this.
  22. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I would class the first Moloko album as trip-hop but they moved away from that in subsequent releases.

Mr. Siegal and SinnerSaint like this.
  23. Nancy Luger

Nancy Luger Forum Resident

Nope, still could not remotely be described as trip-hop. Rather unremarkable alt rock with a bit of electronic pasted on.

24. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I never went deep into the genre but was a big fan of Portishead Dummy and Sneaker Pimps Becoming X.
    6 Underground is utterly mesmerizing, and I have played it over and over, but the whole album is really good IMO. Glory Box was the song that introduced me to Portishead......
    Glory Box

25. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

Gonna get deep with you on this. It all started with The Wild Bunch, who became Massive Attack, Tricky was on the first Massive Attack album Blue Lines after which he split to do his own thing. Geoff Barrow was an engineer at the studio where Massive Attack were recording their first album, and went on to form Portishead. And here’s a curveball; Neneh Cherry was inspired by the Bristol Bass culture and did arrangements on Blue Lines. Massive Attack contributed on her debut Raw Like Sushi, which spawned the single Buffalo Stance and included the Lines “Looking good, hanging with The Wild Bunch” There you go.

TurtleIsland and Maurice like this.