True Detective: Season 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

He doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who would work well with another writer. It’s fairly obvious from his post episode interviews that he thinks pretty highly of himself.

DHamilton likes this.
  2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think you saw a different Season 2 than every. But actually it doesn't really matter. It's just something to know isn't it? It's not really that important to know other than to satisfy our own curiosity. The fact it was left out of the story is irrelevant to whether this was a good season or not as having it in wouldn't make it better for those that didn't like and those that liked it aren't going to like it more just because we know.

The conclusion having nothing to do with season 01...who said it had to have something to do with season 01? Let me guess, because the documentary crew made a reference to it? It's a documentary crew, they're trying to make this into a big conspiracy. It doesn't mean it actually was.

There was no grand finale but I kind of liked that. I think audiences tend to build things up. I recall disappointment even after Season 1's finale.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

My guess, he did it because of the guilt he felt after Harris, the security guy, was killed by them.

Comet01 likes this.
  4. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I watched most of last night's and was back and forth to the Oscars. i could tell it was rather disjointed and didn't seem to be a satisfying conclusion. I don't get all the time spent on the marriage, their spats, I found that tedious, uninteresting. Why did the wife's character seem bit odd, off in earlier episodes? Was that intentional as a red herring or what? The last three of season seemed to have pacing issues, maybe there was not enough story to fill up more than 6 episodes.
    I think the outline of this sort was pretty good, aspects of it were different but it just wasn't executed as well as it could have been. The fact that Pizzolatto is rumored not to work well with others, could merely be creative differences, he could have a singular vision, many creatives do. He just may need someone to help him find ways to make his ideas come to life so they gel more so to speak. The two leads were very strong in their roles over all. With some brushing up of dialogue here and there, better structuring of the timelines, and story this could of been very good. I'm going to rate it ok .

5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Don't know if this is true but according to Redditors there was some friction between Pizzolotto and HBO over the cut of the final S3 episode, prompting Maharshala Ali to proclaim
    'the final episode is the best piece of television he's read in his life' (e.g. Pizzolotto's version).

Mahershala Ali on the final episode of season 3 : TrueDetective

6. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I enjoyed the episode. Indeed, it was not what anyone expected, much less our two detectives, but that worked for me. I would have liked a little more info on Hoyt and Harris James maybe, but like the first season, not all questions get answered.
    I also found Stephen Dorf's character (which I didn't care for at first) to get better and better. He was really good in the last episode.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i will be very surprised if there is a season 4.

8. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

What a let down, all the promise shown in the earlier episodes and great acting led to this damp squib of a finale :sigh: as other people have said, I cannot imagine there will be another season after this :shake:

Leviethan, Chrome_Head and DHamilton like this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's what people said after season 2! Looks like I didn't miss much after giving up on S3 early on....

Scott222C and mr. steak like this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i repeat:

the more i think about it, the more i liked season 2 over season 3.

in all seriousness, season 3 could have been a 2-hour HBO movie.

MikeT and DHamilton like this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

And Season 2 could've been left at the script stage and we'd all saved ourselves several hours of wasted TV viewing :)

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Wow, that finale was painful! It was as if they knew what they were doing wasn't working, and they doubled down on it! Now that its done, I can honestly say it was a colossal bore and a complete waste of time. The oddest thing is that, due to the strong performances, the show always seemed to be on the brink of being good, but.....don't know if its returning but unless I read raves, I'm out!

13. Chrome_Head

Ali, Dorff and the actor that played Amelia were all fantastic. The guy who played Julie's Dad was quite good as well. There was really no weak link in terms of the acting.

Again, it's too bad that the overall story didn't rise more to the considerable talent of the cast.

GMfan87', GentleSenator and sberger like this.
  14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I don’t know, I thought the actor who played Amelia was sort of leaden and monotonous. It was really obvious that she is British, trying to sound American. She seemed like she had just woken up from a nap right before every scene.

altaeria, GMfan87' and DHamilton like this.
  15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The very last shot seemed random and pointless to me.

DHamilton likes this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

carmen ejogo (amelia) also starred in the second season of starz' 'the girlfriend experience' and was quite good in that too.

17. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

They caught lightning in a bottle with Season 1. Seasons 2 & 3--more like a lightning bug in a bottle.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

was vietnam the reason he was losing it?

it has negatively affected many many vets in the same way.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I guess that's not a spoiler! ;)
    It's hard to say, but if it were the root cause of his problems, I think it deserved more than a one-second shot as the last frame! (I know he referenced his experiences a few times.)

20. Chrome_Head

Yeah, my gf told me that the Amelia actor is British. I thought she did pretty well. There were one too many repetitive scenes of hers and Wayne's relationship and marital discord however.

I was wondering if we were going to get any flashbacks to Wayne's time in Vietnam. I did like the final shot, pretty haunting.

Leviethan likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I thought he went looking to fight the bikers at the bar because he was pissed off they were strong armed into dropping the 1990 case that they were close to solving.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I'll be surprised if there isn't.

I'm just checking in here for the first time and I'm truly stumped at the comments of some of the armchair critics here. In the real world, where people aren't frustrated directors/screenwriters, it was perceived as quite entertaining without spoon-feeding everything for the audience.

23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

The last few episodes felt like a 1980s made-for-TV movie. The bar fight, followed by the stray dog meet-cute was painfully cliched. And the reveal of what really happened to Julie and Will was just stupid. So all these people covered up the accidental death of one child And the subsequent kidnapping and captivity of another to protect some crazy rich woman?? Wouldn’t it have been easier in the long run to just tell the truth of what happened, which Julie could have confirmed?

I maintain that Nic Pizzolato is a total hack who got really lucky in 2014. He’s too full of himself as a capital W writer that he can’t see when something isn’t working and pushes away any collaborators who probably confront him with that fact. Because of his “singular vision.” Ugh. If only he could be sent back to south wherever Indiana to teach creative writing at a community college. But he’ll keep churning out crap masquerading and “art” on TV forever because of one success.

DHamilton and Scott222C like this.
  24. Chrome_Head

The arc of True Detective reminds me of the arc of a similarly touted show with another would-be auteur creator, Mr Robot and Sam Esmail. Both shows had intriguing first seasons with talented casts and were "water cooler shows" of sorts, and both shows floundered disappointingly with their 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Leviethan likes this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no wish for spoon feeding here, just don;t put 2 hours worth of show into a 9 hour mini-series and waste my time.

noting, i repeat, nothing ever happened, ever.