True Detective: Season 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’m extremely satisfied with this season, especially the last 2 episodes. I also completely nerded out on each episode with reddit and the flat circle podcast. I think that really adds to the enjoyment.

As far being the season, nah, this is going to 5 or 6.

garrincha and Borgia like this.
  2. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I actually thought that it was slightly better than season 1.

Brenald79 likes this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

No. This was a rich family in a small town. They didn't want scandal, they certainly didn't want something to happen to the "crazy rich woman". Better to keep a secret, which would've been kept if not for the doggedness of one detective and his partner.

marcb and Pete Puma like this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

But the secret WAS kept, wasn't it?

When 2015 Wayne and Roland go to the Hoyt house and enter the corridor to the pink room, the place looks long abandoned.

2015 Wayne can't remember who 2015 Julie Purcell is long enough to interview her when he finally finds her.

Wayne's wife also died under unrevealed circumstances.

There's seemingly not anyone left alive who seems to care or who remembers. That's why the whole finale was a wet blanket.

DHamilton likes this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Maybe, but maybe not. Remember, Wayne's son kept Julie's address.

6. Chrome_Head

Yeah, I remember. What's he going to do with it, pass it on to the documentary crew? Will it ever be followed up on in any True Detective episode? I highly doubt it.

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I thought it was implied that Wayne briefly realized he found Julie the way he glanced at them both, recognizing the little girl from the burial site. And his son had the piece of paper with the address.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Who cares? Decide for yourself .Accept it as is. Very little closure actually happens in this world. I loved The Soprano's ending. I'm guessing you didn't.

9. Chrome_Head

I care--I'm not particularly interested in investing in an open-ended storyline, or one that has a "choose your own ending" option. Sometimes closure does happen in this world. Never watched Sopranos.

If Pizzolatto was really interested in telling a story with little closure, he wouldn't have had the one-eyed man character do his big info dump in the finale.

GodShifter and DHamilton like this.
  10. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I get it, but I still think it was incredibly stupid. And the last minute call back to the first season was a desperate attempt to remind people “hey guys, you’re still watching that show that was awesome two seasons ago!”

GMfan87', GodShifter and DHamilton like this.
  11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well there was closure. We know that Julie is alive and safe, and we know why. There's just not closure for Wayne. Yet. Nothing wrong with leaving a story's ending open.

And don't watch The Soprano's. You'll hate the ending.

Comet01 and eddiel like this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Or it was a neat little touch to show that there might've been a connection to the missing children. Whatever. Obviously I liked how they set everything up, I loved the pacing, and I loved that there was stuff to think about and consider at the end. I do find it interesting that for a series that you didn't like, you stuck around for the whole thing. I can't do that. If something doesn't grab me a couple episodes in(at the most), I'm usually done and off to the next one. Too many options, not enough time.

Comet01 and eddiel like this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah we found out a lot by the end of the series. I think the son now having the address and us not knowing what he's going to do with it is a very minor point (as one example anyway). I think for the most part the story was told and we have a resolution to the story.

I don't see why we need every little tidbit answered and IMO, I don't think people really expect that from every show they watch.

Comet01, Borgia and sberger like this.
  14. The implication is pretty obvious: the son takes the note to the documentary crew.

Brenald79 likes this.
  15. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I enjoyed the first half for sure. I think it started slipping quickly after the fifth episode. It was a good setup that didn’t pay off. It ended like a Lifetime movie. Schlocky.

altaeria and Chrome_Head like this.
  16. Chrome_Head

Wow, what an ending! :rolleyes:

I agree. Someone online said it ended like an episode of “Murder, She Wrote”. I did think episode 7 was a brief uptick in improvement, but the finale fell on its face.

LarryP, GentleSenator and Leviethan like this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Or, like every season of TD...

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I do recall there was some criticism towards the ending of S01. IMO, ending are generally disappointing as they don't always live up to what came before. :)

19. It was a gloomy watch. I like gloomy. No, it wasn't perfect - in fact, I think they cheesed out the end a bit - but it was fun in that gloomy kind of way. I don't regret watching it. It satisfied a certain itch.

I'll say that although the ending felt a little flat, it was probably more true to life than some grand finale and/or giant reveal. There was just enough reveals to close it out and leave one guessing.

I would watch another season as long as it wasn't like Season 2. I get HBO for free, anyway, so why not? :p

20. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

I will add that the wife and myself were also disappointed in the finale....it is a challenge to watch this series but we will stick with it in future years (assuming renewed). It was not clean, so to speak....

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

From the beginning I've been comparing TD to the far superior I Am The Night. Out of curiosity I checked the thread for that show and there's only 27 responses vs. 270 here! No question as to which show is better and I'd guess it's much more widely available, being on TNT, so I have no idea why. Especially with everyone being so quality-conscious around here!;)

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I must be in the minority here: I gave up on I Am The Night after the second episode. For me, the acting was appalling and the writing not much better. If you liked it, great--there's no need to flame me.

Old Mac and Chrome_Head like this.
  23. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

According to Pizzolato they cut a scene showing she died of natural causes.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I was slightly disappointed with the ending. I’m not sure what I expected, though.

I think the cyclops guy pretty much lining out the whole thing was rather cheap. Equally, the fact that the girl winds up marrying the boy in the school yard and the nuns covered her identity up? Blah.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The chief reason I’ve avoided “I Am The Night” is the glut of commercials. Ugh.