True Detective: Season 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Mar 28, 2017.

1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Loved the first and would youj
    believe the second series,Im not reading the thread so as not to spoil the thirrd

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

remains to be seen, however i liked S2 so my opinion might not be wanted. :shrug:

Brenald79 and Michael like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i agree, not much going on last night and only 5 nights to go.

SPOILER:

seems those 2 kids liked to play in the woods, and it was not just the 2 of them, and something went awry there.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    rebellovw likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

1 was so strong I just felt 2 didn't have the same drive...

5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

He may never surpass season 1.

6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I still found The Wire Season 2 fulfilling to watch, though I watched it after it aired on DVD. I wouldn't say skip it, but yeah, it was a pretty major 180 from what the first season set up.

Agreed that the Wire was heavy watching. As heavy as BB could be, I would much rather watch that again (and have).

I'm a bit worried this series is going to turn into a bit of a grind. Hard to see where it's going when info in the case is omitted or discovered later in one of the eras.

I am resolved to watching it all and just enjoying it for what is, however. Maharshala Ali makes this a must watch.

rebellovw likes this.
  7. Michael

who's he????
    EDIT: I agree...S1 was killer!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Nic (creator/writer.)

9. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

So far I like S3, and the first 2 episodes were more watchable. Actor Maharshala Ali is really good in this role and he carries this season's show. I'm also in the camp of enjoying S1 way more than S2. S2 was just meh.

I tried watching The Wire a few years back on Demand, but could not really get into it. I watched about 3 or 4 episodes and stopped after that. It just wasn't for me.

10. Michael

O' OK....gotcha.

rebellovw likes this.
  11. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Whaat!? Have to respectfully disagree here, Season 2 is my favourite season of 'The Wire' (though objectively I'd have to say that season 4 is the "best") and tragic flawed hero Frank Sabotka one of my favourite characters.

Mychkine and rebellovw like this.
  12. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Actually liked that part, didn't see that coming . I guess the pacing of this one wasn't on point to me and maybe little too much of Wayne's wife . I don't know , just didn't give me enough to be intrigued like first two. But could be some set up for next one. What do you guys think of her - will she have something to do with the children or it's a red herring ? She has something off about her.

13. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

That's fine , I know it's very acclaimed as a whole . I personally loathed that season . Thought season 1 was rather compelling after first couple episodes , 3 was good , but sorry to see Elba go . The 4th was very different and had interesting elements , thought some of storyline with Mcnulty was silly in the 5th. It must be difficult to do a show that has different themes and characters , it's just not a series I loved or found to be very entertaining .

AveryKG likes this.
  14. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

To be fair most people won't . I think 1, 3 show how he's very capable of juggling timelines and a lot of detail in the cases in his stories. I liked how West character is being interrogated as well ala season 1.

rebellovw likes this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I thought it was complex but still logical, great acting (well I concede Vince Vaughn in thespian overdrive didn't work very well) and directing. The Raid on Meth Lab was incredible.

dougotte likes this.
  16. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I don't know why it just dawned on me, but this season has similarities with two famous cases in Arkansas. The West Memphis Three angle is obviously there, but also the Morgan Nick disappearance comes to mind as well. In 1995 a little girl was attending a softball game with her mom. She went off to play with some friends and was seen by them at one point talking to an older man. That was it, she's never been seen again. After all these years the mom is still in the news occasionally, trying to raise awareness, and hoping some new information will come to light.

17. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

You stopped right when the Wire really kicks in. I felt the same way until the 3rd or 4th episode.

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So I watched the 1st 3 episodes last night, not bad! I could NEVER sit thru 3 episodes of season 2!;)

Gumboo likes this.
  19. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

Anyone else believe this is the same "universe" as Season 1?

20. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Yes, it feels that way to me so far. The 3rd episode was a little slow for me, hopefully I will enjoy the rest.

21. SkeletonPete

SkeletonPete Forum Resident

It certainly crossed my mind upon noting that the Dungeons and Dragons manual - glimpsed briefly in the first S3 episode - is titled The Forests of Leng. That puts us firmly back in Lovecraft/Chambers territory. Leng has been described as a bridge between dimensions so it conforms with the narrative's multiple timelines. It suggests past, present, and future are happening concurrently.

21st Century Screenwriting 101: Reference something/anything from the HPL oeuvre, and structure your plot like Kurosawa's Roshomon.

22. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

23. Ty D. Tatman

After I rewatched the second season with my wife I realized that a lot of the episodes were weak on their own but as a whole the season was amazing. That is what I'm thinking we're going to have here.

Brenald79 likes this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

season 2 was a an extremely good story.

polchik and Brenald79 like this.
  25. Ty D. Tatman

I thought it was waaaayyyyyy too convoluted.

GMfan87' likes this.