True Detective: Season 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

After watching three episodes of S03 I won't continue watching. This is a self-important snoozefest and the leading actors have zero chemistry between them IMO. Not for me. Even worse than the atrocious second season, because this one feels like a rehash of S01, only that it is infinitely inferior. Meh.

Deesky likes this.
  2. Scott222C

At least they tried something different than S01, even if it didn't work IMO. Story was not the problem of S02.

3. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

It's starting to wear on me, lol. I'm too vested now to not see it through to the end. I will say, seasons 2 and 3 have shown me that Nick Pizzolatto writes some clunky dialogue when it's not being delivered by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

trumpet sounds and Scott222C like this.
  4. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I agree about the lack of chemistry between the characters. The main characters pretty much totally lack personality and are really really boring, monotone characters. Has Hays even cracked a smile yet? But yes, there are some subtle emotions he conveys well. And the dialog last night was definitely different from normal speaking, but it was a little bit interesting too, so I will reserve judgment. It was a longer episode than usual because there were a lot of scenes with extended dialog, so the dialog quality was really on display. But I will keep watching since we are halfway through and the mystery is good. I like that part of it and want to see how it turns out.

Scott222C likes this.
  5. Scott222C

To see how it turns out, I will follow this thread instead of watching :D

Like with the "Under the Dumb" thread ….

Thomas D likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

once again, last night did not really move the story forward at all.

seems to be very stagnant, and re-telling the same things every week.

only 4 shows left.

trumpet sounds and serj like this.
  7. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

At the end we see

Hays has found the video of the girl in the drugstore, so we know they are that much closer to finding her. That's some movement. Beyond that, virtually nothing big. We learned some interesting things happened in the 1980 period and also in the 1990 period, but we don't know what they are. And then at the very end there is that explosion at the Indian's house -- but you're right, that one is a little drama but doesn't move the story at all.

8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I do wish they'd move the story along a bit faster, or that they were injecting more surprises into the episodes. Otherwise, I still think the acting is quite good and the show's atmosphere is top-notch.

If one can go by the next-episode preview, it looks like things might pick up a bit in the last half.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I liked last night's, held my attention much more than last week's. Yes the dialogue in a few places was bit "clunky" and maybe silly, but to me it doesn't bother it as a whole. Think Ali is incredible in this, i like the relationship between the two detectives. I have no idea where this mystery is going really, besides it must be tied up with religion somehow. Does anyone think we have seen nothing but red herrings or have we seen the killer/abductor? I'm sticking with it. This is Nic Pizzolatto's first series, so he could struggle at times with dialogue ( that may improve the more he writes) but he comes up with good outlines, like the style of his series.

rogertheshrubber and Chrome_Head like this.
  10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Really enjoying this season.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  11. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Interesting episode last night. It's been a bit slow, but I think things pick up now. One little observation: When old Wayne Hays is at home at night trying to remember, speaking into his voice recorder, he becomes surrounded by V.C. or NVA soldiers. I suppose it's men he killed during the war, they all have their heads down. One of these figures is a white man in a suit, he could be another detective or something. When Hays stands up he reaches out to him and touches him, then says 'I'm sorry'. I wonder what that's going to be all about? Can't wait till next Sunday...

12. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Interesting , good on you , I did not notice that .

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Its a good show, well done, top to bottom BUT....Its not feeling terribly 'True-Detectivey"(!?) at this point. Seems to be missing that quirky craziness that was a big part of its original appeal.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Totally agree. Watching ep 3 if found myself drifting and forcing myself to keep watching. The dialog has no life, no spark and much of it I can't even make out clearly due to the wooden, stilted mumble delivery. Didn't finish the ep in the end as I didn't care a jot about any of the characters or the storyline. Lol, I lasted longer with S2!

Scott222C likes this.
  15. Scott222C

I switched to "Yellowstone" TV series with Costner and found it to be much more rewarding so far (currently watched Episode 2)…….. did you watch this one by chance ?

16. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Yes, briefly for the first time in episode 4. It was like a ray of sunshine!

Yay! I think I can hang on. I was worried it would drag on for 10 episodes.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the show is half over, and i have to say that enjoyed season 2 much better than this, at least so far anyway.

dougotte likes this.
  18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

me too. :sigh:

even with all the silliness, this season just seems to be going nowhere fast.

dougotte likes this.
  19. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone seen the preview trailer for episode 5?

There is an interesting image on the Lap Top next to the reporter interviewing Hays. Easter Egg or something else? ;)

20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

No what was it?

21. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

It’s better than season two, but so is strep throat.

EVOLVIST, smilin ed and GentleSenator like this.
  22. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident Thread Starter

On the reporters Lap Top there appears to be an article about two ‘other’ detectives.

23. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I find the tension between Detective Hays and his beautiful teacher/writer/wife to be
    somewhat forced......but other than that this has been the best season, in my opinion.

trumpet sounds and GentleSenator like this.
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

agree. the only dynamic i'm sold on is the detectives. i can't believe i like mr. dorff.

25. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I like the detectives as well. I do like this season overall even if it is borrowing a lot from Season 1. Season 2 for me was almost unwatchable.

serj likes this.