Trying to find best Bob Marley recordings on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TeleKing, Sep 23, 2020.

1. TeleKing

TeleKing Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm a big Bob fan, and I have a lot of his records on CD, most of them the remastered versions, but not exactly sure which, but mostly recent released stuff you can buy at Amazon, and the Songs of Freedom Bob box. With all things Bob, there are a million records, and a lot that sound like crap, but some that are just wonderful as well.

I like all Bob. Pre Island and post. I really want to find the very best sounding early stuff.

I'd just like to find the best sound I can find, especially the early Bob. What should I look for? Thanks!

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Look for those mastered by Barry Diament.

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

hi_watt likes this.
  4. TeleKing

TeleKing Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I will check these out.

5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

There's a bunch of threads already on early Marley, if you search, although they may not be centered only on sound quality, but maybe more on content, as it's a bit of a jungle.

A quick and easy answer for pre-Island (excluding Studio One) is to get this series (which also complements your Songs Of Freedom, as any tracks on that are exluded): The Complete Bob Marley & the Wailers 1967–1972 - Wikipedia

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Trenchtown Rock is going to be far more comprehensive. Young Mystic is a bit skimpy, but it sounds far better than any other CD covering these years, and I think @Steve Hoffman said it was because he actually used the original, first-generation twin-track tapes. The final "mixdowns" if you can call them that were basically fold downs with EQ and compression added. Steve basically mastered them with none of that except a slight narrowing of the channels to alleviate the complete and jarring channel separation that comes with twin-track.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I just noticed that the original recording of "One Love/People Get Ready" on Scrolls of the Prophet: The Best of Peter Tosh (supposedly taken from Sony/Legacy's Bob Marley & The Wailers compilation The Birth Of A Legend) sounds a LOT better than the way it's mastered on the Songs of Freedom Bob Marley box set. Same take, same recording, but it's like ****ty fake stereo on the Songs of Freedom box set whereas it's true, clean-separation stereo with MUCH better fidelity on Scrolls of the Prophet. Maybe it was newly mixed for Sony/Legacy's releases?

8. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I am trying to find the best sounding CD version of his Burnin' album (my favourite).
    Any suggestions?
    Is there a high-resolution disc or digital version?

Same question for Catch A Fire and Exodus.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  9. bonsaipark

bonsaipark Turn me on, Redmond

I don't know the answer but I'm looking, too, so I'll add a note of support. How about it, folks?

Peter_R likes this.
  10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    Peter_R, bonsaipark and Adam9 like this.