Trying to purchase records in US

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by homeslice, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,

I wonder if there is an online service for what I need....

I am trying to purchase some records from a well known US store that refuses to take credit, debit, or Paypal that is not located in the US. It seems a bit crazy, but I know that the states can be a bit insular for payment.

I have a US address to ship to, or I could have it shipped to my UK address (I'm sure they would never do that).

I've contacted them, and they flat out refused to help me purchase.

Does anyone know of any Paypal like services that can bridge the gap?

2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

bank transfer
    cashier's check
    western union

3. homeslice

probably cashiers would do it....don't think they are set up for the others.

That seems obvious, shame the company did not suggest it.

4. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

Is the problem just shipping overseas or having a credit card/payment option address based in the U.K.? Could you create another PayPal account with a U.S. address? Parcl sounds like what you need but I don't know the costs involved.
    Parcl - First Worldwide Shipping Community

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  5. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Opera Developer is a web browser that offers a VPN ability. You could click on the Americas tab and the company might think you are in the USA when you order it.
    I don't know if that would raise flags with Paypal or your credit card companies. Of course you would have to send it to the USA address.

You could also try getImportcds in Kentucky. They ship to the UK according to their website and have a lot of records for sale. I have never had a problem with them.

https://www.importcds.com/
    No affiliation with them myself.

CDJapan is expensive but they ship world wide. They even take cash.

CDJapan : Japanese Anime, Jpop, Japanese music, Game music, Japanese movie, CD, DVD

6. homeslice

Thanks for the suggestions!
    The problem is the payment, their recalcitrance, and the fact that only they have the items :cussing:

I've emailed them to offer a money order. I might look into the VPN, if it works for PayPal. Creating and activating a US Paypal is a non starter.

7. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

If it's an independent store, you might try calling and being friendly. Emails can resemble scams.

8. spacer

spacer Forum Resident

Back before Paypal was mandated on a certain auction site, Postal Money Orders were my preferred payment method when selling to non-US customers. They could be cashed at any post office. And I didn't have to deal with any potential bank drama.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Find a US forum friend, over the years one or two kind American forum members have picked up things for me and shipped them and I've helped the odd overseas forum member, is there anybody on here you already have a good relationship with, if so explain the situation, ask nicely and cover all of the costs.

Dave likes this.
  10. homeslice

Well I've been nice as pie to this pretty big retailer, and here is the answer to my suggestion of a money order or a cashiers check:

"Unfortunately, we cannot accept another form of payment and will be unable to process your order."

Just a one line email, I know where I stand.... :pineapple:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.