Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HiredGoon, Sep 6, 2011.

1. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

G'day,

I got Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio's Midnight Sugar CD yesterday, an excellent album of laid-back piano trio jazz, recorded in Japan in 1974 and on the Three Blind Mice label. And it sounds pretty sweet as well.

[​IMG]

There's also an XRCD and an SACD available of this title, and I'm wondering if anyone has compared the normal CD to these versions.

Also if other works by Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio (e.g. Misty) are worth hunting down.

--Geoff

2. I only have the XRCD and the SACD, both sound fantastic. For redbook playback I prefer the XRCD but the DSD layer of the SACD is superior.

One of my reference recordings, if you like this one you will have to get Misty as well. I only have the Misty XRCD but will look for the SACD.

jfeldt likes this.
  3. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Here are some reveiws of Midnight Sugar on SA-CD as well as Misty and others on SACD.

I was not aware of this artist so I appreciate your post. Will check it out, thanks.

4. Lespaul59

Lespaul59 New Member

You really can't go wrong with any of Tsuyoshi's stuff. I have Midnight Sugar, Misty, Girl Talk, Autumn in Seattle and What A Wonderful Trio! and they all sound top notch and are a breeze to listen to.

All of these albums are worth hunting down, if you want reference material to wow your guest definitely pick up FIM's DXD remaster of WAWT. His verison of Misty on Misty gives you chills.

5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

G'day,

I noticed this recent compilation called The TBM Sounds that seems to have a couple of Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio selections, including Midnight Sugar and Misty:

[​IMG]

Might be an option seeing how almost all the trio's stuff is out of print.

"Ultra HD 32-bit mastering", if that means anything.

--Geoff

6. Ronm1

Ronm1 Forum Resident

I have them also, all are XRCD? except MS, sonics on all are topshelf in my book.

7. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

They sound great.

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

One of the best Jazz recordings.... and one of the best for audio setup. The SACD is awesome... better than the XRCD and orignal LP.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just received Midnight Sugar on CD and it is an excellent recording. I have Midnight Sugar and Misty coming on SACD next week. So I will be able to compare the MS CD to the SACD when it arrives. I had an opportunity to buy the Autumn in Seattle SACD but I passed. After hearing the MS CD I wished I hadn't passed on that one ;).

Bill

Swann36 likes this.
  10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:D Much appreciated

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Barry,

I'm very glad that you got the SACD :). You will have to post your impressions when you get it.

Bill

12. eelkiller

From what I gather it is another great demo disc. I look forward to listening.

13. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Three Blind Mice is a great label, a lot of outside progressive jazz from the early seventies...anthing I see on this label up to 1975 I get ! (except for the laid back piano trio stuff)

14. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

This is supurb:goodie:

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Has anyone heard Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio's What A Wonderful Trio! CD or Live at Misty SACD? They seem readily available but I was curious as to if the SQ and music was as good as Midnight Sugar, Misty and Autumn In Seattle.

Live At Misty

What A Wonderful Trio!

Bill

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just received the Midnight Sugar and Misty SACDs yesterday. I had a chance to listen to both this morning and they sound outstanding :). I didn't get a chance to compare the MS CD to the SACD but will do so in the near future. Any thoughts from anyone regarding the two TYT discs I mentioned in the previous post?

Bill

17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I have the Misty SACD and enjoy it.

18. eelkiller

Live at Misty is on the way to me. I will keep you updated.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I will look forward to your impressions of Live At Misty. That is if I can hold off from buying it ;). Amazon has a good price with free shipping, very tempting.

Bill

20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I look forward to your comparisons, as above.

21. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

HiredGoon & Bill Mac,

Where does one find the Midnight Sugar, Misty or Autumn in Seattle sacds nowadays? I cannot find them anywhere, except at ridiculous prices.

Steve

22. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Yes, Steve the prices are high on these discs.

sjaca likes this.
  23. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply JA Fant.

All I could find is the Autumn FIM sacd @ 249.99 but cannot locate the FIM Midnight Sugar or Misty sacds anywhere.

If anyone knows where these can be found pls let me know.

Tks,
    Steve

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Steve,

I would check out ebay as there are some current listings for several Tsuyoshi Yamamoto SACD/CDs. Unfortunately the final prices are quite high but keep at it and you might get lucky :).

There are several other discs from Tsuyoshi Yamamoto available that I bought recently. These have not arrived yet but I look forward to their arrival :). I looked quite a bit and found the three linked below at sites I found to have the lowest prices. Though I'm not sure if the listed below compare in SQ or musical content to Midnight Sugar, Misty or Autumn In Seattle. But with the number of Tsuyoshi Yamamoto titles now OOP I thought I should grab these before they go OOP and the prices skyrocket ;).

Live At Misty - SACD

Speak Low - CD

What A Wonderful Trio! DXD/CD 24-bit 352.8 KHz mastering

Bill

sjaca likes this.
  25. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Thanks so much Bill for taking the time to assist me with this music, very much appreciated.

I'm on it...

Steve