TT isolation question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alright4now, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think my turntable (project debut carbon with ortofon 2m red) is too close to my subwoofer and it needs to be isolated. Because of the way my living room is set up, I can't move either of them.

I've read a lot of threads about isolation and was thinking of buying a 13"x13" slab of granite from a local countertop place and then buy some sort of isolation pads to place between the turntable and the granite.

1. Is this recommended?
    2. Can you recommend some isolation pads for around $50?

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just asking, but are you sure you can't move the sub? It might be your cheapest and easiest solution. Longer cable, move sub.

There are all sorts of DIY isolation solutions you can try. Many people use sorbothane pads or industrial anti-vibration pads, raquet balls cut in half, semi-inflated bike innertubes, etc.

Lots of ways to go about it.

3. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, my wife and kids will not allow for the sub to be moved.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A picture or diagram might help people understand what you are dealing with and what type of isolation you need.

LakeMountain and Alright4now like this.
  5. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Yes, in a family we have to make compromises! Vibrapods, possibly in combination with Vibracones work well for decoupling. A laminated wooden board could serve as a base. Granite looks good, but is not very dampening in my mind. There are granulated stone compounds with sorbothane or similar, but they all very pricey.
    However, with the vicinity of a sub you may not get it fully dampened as the TT is also excited directly via the air.

Lowrider75, patient_ot and Swann36 like this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Place your TT on a waal-mounted shelf

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.