TT Strong Through Right Channel Only

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stever, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm having problems with my B&O 2400 series turntable, or maybe it's something else in my system -- I don't know. When I dedicate music through the right channel it's strong and clear. When I shift to left channel, having played several different LPs now, I can just barely hear music. What reasons would there be for this?

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Too many possibilities, you have to do more work and tell us more. First check every cable (speaker and interconnect) to see if they a loose. Then try other sources, does it happen with CD's or with the tuner. Then switch cables at the speaker, then at the TT, etc. Let us know what happens.

3. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

All cables are secure (that's the first thing I checked). This does not happen with my CD player or tuner, hence the, "TT," reference in my subject line. I don't know what you mean by switching cables -- using the alternate ends, switching to new cables, what?

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

OK, Now I can try to help, there are two possibilities now, bad cartridge or bad phono amp. Now the cartridge problem (if it is that) could be do to a bad connection at the cartridge. So if you can see the wires that go to the back of the cartridge check them CAREFULLY (they are delicate so check that they are not broken or loose). If they check out, switch the TT cables from r to l and l to r at your receiver. This will take the left channel of the cartridge and put it into the right channel of the phono amp. If you now here the right channel (from the right speaker) as weak then it is the left channel of your cartridge that has a problem, if not, if the left channel (from the left speaker) is still weak and the right channel is strong then it is the left channel of the phone amp stage of your receiver that is bad. Let us know how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.