Tube Amp for Klipsch Cornwalls - Fisher receiver or something else?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chiliarches, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

It could happen.

RDriftwood and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Anyone ever have or listen to an EICO HF-81? I've read some good things and the seem to sell for under $1,000 frequently.

RDriftwood likes this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Great amp, as long as it's properly restored(like all of these). Big, big sound for a 14 watt amp. I had one a few years ago, eventually turned it over as I do with a lot of my stuff, but not because of it's sound.

Geez, this thread has gotten to me. Don't presently have a 7189 amp, but the guy I got my 500C from does. Gonna go check out a X100 and 202 today or tomorrow.

RDriftwood and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Listening to my 500C through a pair of AR 2ax's, and it donned on me that while flea watt might be great for Cornwall's, a 500C(or something similar) will drive many more types of speakers beautifully in most scenarios, unless the speakers are very inefficient. Even then, if the space is small/moderate and the listening requirements aren't arena rock loud, the 500C should do the job nicely. My point is that while Cornwall's are great speakers and pretty much any amp will sound good/great with it, getting an amp with a little more power will give you more flexibility down the road should you decide to get rid of the Cornwalls, or simply add some other speakers.

One man's experience, fwiw.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Do you use 7189's or 6BQ5's in your's? Basically the same, but the 7189 supports a higher plate voltage.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have a quad of Russian (Reflektor?) EL84's.

[​IMG]

Dennis0675 and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Interesting. What made you go with those? I'm in the process of acquiring an early one and will probably go with 7189's. I'm not sure, but I seemed to have read those being what Fisher used originally. I know they're scarce, luckily I have a few laying around.

9. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

You might want to check this... Eico Restoration – Vintage Vacuum Audio

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

'Fairly high volume' can be made with ~5 watts on cornwalls if you ask me.. My wattage readout has me using under 1 watt at my most common night time listening volume level. And still very dynamic. That's with classical, metal, you name it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. action pact

Simple: That's what was in the amp when I bought it. :D

I don't know a whole lot about tube-rolling, and it's kind of expensive to get into nowadays. @indy mike and I got into an offline conversation about power tubes a while ago (he has high end vintage tubes available from time to time), but I never pulled the trigger. Maybe I should revisit that. Recommendations/suggestions are always welcome.

I only just a few months ago got around to upgrading the 12AX7's from GE's and RCA grey plates to a quad of 1958 RCA long black plates. That made a substantial difference, making the amp noticeably more fulsome and lush.

Last night I was doing some reading up on rectifier tubes. Right now there is a Sovtek GZ34/5AR4 in there, but from what I read they are well-regarded for ruggedness, but not so much for performance; something to do with plate voltage being too low. Vintage Mullards are said to be rugged and excellent-sounding. I almost pulled the trigger on a Matsushita - made in Japan supposedly with Mullard/Phillips tooling and said to be equal to a British Mullard.

Just this morning on eBay I spied a Sylvania-branded GZ34/5AR4, made in Great Britain by Mullard, for $52.75 shipped and I hit the BIN. That's at least 50% off the price of a Mullard-branded tube, so I think I made a good choice (hopefully).

[​IMG]

Blackburn factory, made the 2nd week of December 1972:
    [​IMG]

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Cool. I have one of those Sylvania rectifiers, also some RCA’s. Will be giving them all a try. Would love to get some black plate AX7’s. Only grey’s here, though they sound great in the 500C’s phono.

Looks like I’m going to get both an X100, and X101-B. When it rains...

RDriftwood and action pact like this.
  13. action pact

Hey, I just noticed this comment! You're planning on getting an X-100 like mine?

Please be sure to share your relative impressions vs. the 400/500. I'm interested to see if you and I have the same conclusions.

SandAndGlass and RDriftwood like this.
  14. action pact

There was a guy on eBay a few months ago selling a bunch of strong-testing '58 long black plates for $25/each, so I bought four of them. Once I heard how good they sounded in my Fisher, I tried to go back for more, but his supply had already been sold.

I ended up buying another one from the same guy, testing slightly lower, so I have at least one backup. I should put it in my little Fender amp.

sberger and RDriftwood like this.
  15. action pact

From my research this morning, I learned that the made-in-Japan RCA-branded rectifiers were made by Matsushita with Mullard tooling.

16. RDriftwood

Should you want to buy some tubes, either NOS or "slightly used and test like new" tubes, you can do that by calling Andy at 616 454 3467 (Michigan) Vintage Tube Services - High End Audio & Guitar Amplifier
    I've worked with this guy for years after receiving great recommendations and high praise about him from my amp tech and others - some on this forum.

Andy will almost certainly have the best tubes for your amp at reasonable prices. You won't see them listed on his website - you have to call him. If you call him, he will be able to advise you which tubes will sound the absolute best in your amp because he also has and loves Fisher amps. This guy knows his sh!t in a major way. Nice older guy. Takes credit cards. You really can't go wrong with this guy. Much safer than dealing with unknowns on eBay. I hope you will call him and just see what he has to say about your amp and tubes - even if you don't buy anything from him.

17. action pact

That's great, thanks for the tip!

Now I know how to spend my holiday bonus... :D

RDriftwood likes this.
  18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Oh I will. Ive had a few EL84 amps before, liked them, but preferred more grunt. We'll see if old age has tempered me. Your positive experience with the 100 and your 4x speakers helped. I have and like my Cornwalls, but lately been listening a lot to my 2ax's. What a great speaker. I lamented the day I got rid of my 3's and 3a's, but I may like the 2ax's even more. I'd like it if they can handle a lighter weight amp, and I suspect they'll do just fine.

I'd read that before as well. They sure do sound good.

action pact likes this.
  19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I'll have to look into this. I've used Brent Jessee, and a couple guys over at AK over the years, and have been universally satisfied. Brent's prices are not exactly cheap, but he has what he says he has, back them fully, and is a good guy. But always good to have more tube connections.

RDriftwood likes this.
  20. action pact

RDriftwood likes this.
  21. RDriftwood

Everybody in the know seems to agree that Mullard rectifier tubes are the best of the best. However, the bad news is: NOS Mullard rectifier tubes are not cheap. The good news is Mullard rectifier tubes last forever - which is why buying used ones makes a lot of sense. I bought a load of used ones form Andy at Vacuum Tube Services. They may be branded as something other than Mullard, because Mullard made tubes for other companies, but they are still the same Mullard made tubes. Buying used Mullard rectifier tubes is a very cost effective alternative to buying NOS ones.

action pact likes this.
  22. RDriftwood

Brent Jessee's website has an abundance of really great tube info on it. I have spent a lot of time on his website but haven't purchased anything from him - yet - but would not hesitate to do so. But like you said: not cheap.

Another guy/place you might want to check out for "the best of the best" NOS tubes (also not cheap) is: WELCOME TO HI TEST GUITARS!!!
    This guy has the biggest and best inventory of NOS tubes and has been around for years. Again, I haven't purchased anything from him - yet - but would not hesitate to do so if I wanted to spend that kind of money to get the very best.

sberger likes this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Another good Fisher choice for Cornwalls:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Cornwalls like their own amp.

Dennis0675 and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. action pact

Someone has joined the X-100 club! :righton:

Interesting to see the differences from my early model. You don't have the phono level trim pots, second turntable inputs, or tube rectifier, and the stereo/mono options are not as flexible, but it has a headphone jack, which mine lacks. I wish we could do a shootout!

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.