Tube Amp Under $1,000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rattlin' Bones, May 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

I've been experimenting with a little TubeCube7 from Tube Depot in Memphis. It's a $199 gem. Not a hybrid. Puts out a very excellent sound.

OK now I'm spoiled by that valve sound. I'm looking for a step up in a tube amp:

* Under $1k or thereabouts
    * Not made in China
    * Not a hybrid
    * Doesn't have to be a lot of valve watts. The 3.5 watt TubeCube7 drives the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary or Dali Spektor speakers I've been experimenting with.
    * Doesn't need an on-board phono stage
    * Doesn't need an on-board DAC
    * Inputs and outputs can be pretty minimal.

Please throw suggestions my way. Thanks!!!

enfield likes this.
  2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Ezd and enfield like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Why not made in China? Line Magnetic offers some terrific amps, including the LM-211IA which can be had on the used market for about 1K. Best sound you're likely to get in that price bracket, IMHO.

4. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

"Not made in China" makes it pretty hard in this price bracket...

HiFi Guy, Helom, Big Blue and 2 others like this.
  5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Easy - contact Bob Latino at Tubes4Hifi - build your own - or have him build it. You cannot go wrong.

sturgus and nutsfortubes like this.
  6. John Landreth

John Landreth Well-Known Member

I can second the recommendation for a Line Magnetic 211ia. Some vintage Amperex or Telefunken tubes in the preamp section make it even better

bhazen, Rick58 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. vconsumer, gingerly, bhazen and 3 others like this.
  8. Rattlin' Bones

Thanks. My other thread on Decware what do I get for the $$$$ explored this option. A few guys commented on the lousy customer service from Decware they received. Makes me wary.

9. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Look for something used in that price bracket

Or, keep an eye open for specials / used gear at Upscale Audio, he often has good deals. I bought my PrimaLuna Four new from him for under a grand.

bluesaddict and Shawn like this.
  10. John Landreth

John Landreth Well-Known Member

I think he’s looking for an integrated amp unless I mis -read something. Does Decware offer an integrated?

11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

All Decware amps have volume control, so in a sense they are integrated. He also mentioned minimal inputs - it comes with one, a second one can be an option. Checks all the boxes.

trd, Shawn and John Landreth like this.
  12. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

bluesaddict and Rick58 like this.
  13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

To be Devil's Advocate: what does that mean? You say the sound is excellent and you don't need more power, so it seems like you're just done. ;)

P.S. Far more than solid state, tube amps interact with speaker impedance. A LOT. So it is absolutely indispensable to try for yourself at home with a reasonable return policy. Even the most excellent amp may interface disharmoniously with your particular speakers.

14. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

In this area especially, an old restored a console amp. Maybe an integrated sort like my old Silvertone stereo amp from the late 50's. It meets all the listed requirements and sounds amazing. Several long time forum members were impressed.

15. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

A used Audio Innovations 500 can be found for under 1k

16. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Decware customer service is actually pretty good. You can speak directly with Steve Deckert if you give them a call, and he's cool to talk to and a straight shooter. Their main customer service/front desk person is Sarah. She's nice enough, but seems to have a "relaxed" work ethic, so might not return an email or call back if you leave a message asking a general question. They are very responsive to real problems, though, and will always make you whole. I wouldn't worry.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  17. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

There was only one person (not a few) in your previous thread that spoke about their customer service in a negative way, I'm not saying there aren't any others who feel this way, but it's not been the norm in my experience.

It's better to contact them through a phone call rather than email. They are not really responsive to "tire kicking" emails that can easily be handled by posting questions in their forums. But if you are an owner/potential-owner with a real technical issue or question they are very responsive by phone and they stand behind their products.

riknbkr330 and rischa like this.
  18. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

I needed some help with my Decware amp a few months ago and Steve returned my call rather quickly after speaking with Sarah. He was really friendly and helpful. It was a nice touch, honestly.

beowulf, riknbkr330 and rischa like this.
  19. Rattlin' Bones

Thanks!

20. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Reiterating some of the above comments, since I commented in the other thread how much I love my Decware "Rachael", I've had it for 6 years without issue. The forums also have a lot of information and pretty responsive for general questions specific to the amp, or the other components Decware sells. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but, damn this amp and the ZP3 make a great combination. Listening right now to "All Things Must Pass", US original LP and it sounds phenomenal.

beowulf likes this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

Some of the Chinese amps are better built than some of the American stuff...JS.

5-String and HiFi Guy like this.
  22. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

Ezd likes this.
  23. I recommend you buy a Nobsound Hood 1969 amp, which has mostly US and non Chinese parts in it. Then pay $700 for someone to rehouse it and resolder it so it is "made" by a person of Country you approve of. It won't sound better, but even at $1000, this $300 Class A amp will blow away your Tube Depot amp. Don't forget to have the builder put a "Made in xxx" label on it!!

bever70, bloodlemons and Benzion like this.
  24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Used is your only option with USA built and $1K price. Low power, go for a real triode power tube single-ended amplifier. Bottlehead makes great amplifiers in your price range. I would look for a Bottlehead 300B amp.

25. Rattlin' Bones

That was helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.